Official GIGABYTE Forum

Overclocking for non-gamer

sacentre

Overclocking for non-gamer
« on: March 16, 2014, 12:43:36 pm »
Hi All

Newbie here so please be nice if I'm asking a dumb question.

I'm not a gamer but wonder if anyone can suggest any tweaks I can try on my Gygabyte motherboard or my graphics card that can speed up Windows execution and normal desktop applications like MS Office, Photoshop, video editing etc. Right now, all the settings are set to the defaults.  I'm afraid I don't have much of a clue as to what the various settings in the UEFI BIOS or Catalyst Control Centre do or how they work together so have left them alone for now.

The system I just built (below) is probably a bit of overkill for what I use it for but as the prices seem to be coming down all the time especially for RAM, I thought I'd have a bit of fun putting together a system with a bit more performance than the old DELL Studio XPS which was faulty.

It's certainly a tad faster but not that much. The only real difference I saw in boot up speed was when I switched to an SSD drive which has cut boot up time almost by half. Obviously, mechanical disk drives are where the main bottleneck in startup has been up to now. 

I'm not expecting much because as I said, I realise overclocking and so on is mainly to benefit gamers but I thought I'd ask the experts.

Thanks in advance

Trevor

Motherboard  GA-Z87-D3HP + 16GB RAM
Intel 4771 CPU
AMD Radion R9-270X GPU 2GB reference edition
Plextore 256GB SSD

autotech

Re: Overclocking for non-gamer
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 04:14:17 am »
First turn off any power saving features and turbo boost. , Second download and install cpuz.
Third make sure bios is updated.
Fourth the following link is for windows 7 ssd tweaks I have 13 seconds till I can type or whatever on mine and that is from booting from on button push.
You should safely be able to oc to turbo boost speed as long as your CPU is unlocked. If it isn't unlocked u can try raising the bus speed a little over the 100 mark till it suits you or becomes unstable just remember that when u do that you oc your memory also. and have good cooling on cpu.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA