Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R electrical noises [solved]

dkslim

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R electrical noises
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 06:25:27 am »
Just replaced mine for 1007, and it has same noises on default settings. (didn't try changing voltages yet)

Are you going to replace again from a different batch? If yes, please let us know how it goes.

Gigabyte doesn't mind replacing when there's any sort of squealing, so you should have no problems replacing it, if you don't mind the inconvenience...

I would like to keep trying different batches myself, but right now in Australia I can only find 1002-1004 batches... am waiting for more recent ones to show up.

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 08:25:14 am »
I won't replace it again unless it starts resetting on cold boot like the last one. Setting voltage effectively fixes it for me and I don't have power supply noises (using Corsair TX850W). Only time I heard noise from PSU was when after 8 hours of 100% CPU load I shut the machine down. It sounded funny for about 30 seconds after power off, like it was cooling down.

Also, just to make sure we are talking about the same thing: when I hear noises it is only when CPU is idle (when it raises voltage). On 100% load noise goes away almost completely (and just squeaks from time to time).

I did have to set all voltages to "normal" (running on stock for now), because "auto" was madly overvolting QPI and other things when I set memory multiplier manually (the board lighted up like xmas tree).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:25:53 am by UnFleshedOne »

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 03:53:38 pm »
hi

I have the GA-X58A-UD3R Ver1.0

I have very issues with the voltage on this mobo and Gigabyte needs to fix this as soon as possible. It is very annoying. Here are the problems in the order that I had to deal with them. I believe all are related to mobo as I had the shop i bought the parts from to try a different PSU and the same issues arose.

1. If I left the power saving options enabled C1E and c1/c3 blah blah in BIOS then the Computer would not load windows (it wouldn't actually go through the setup of Windows). At the startup screen of Windows 7 it would shut down and restart going into this power shut down cycle continuously. I 'fixed' this prob by disabling the two power saving options in 'advanced cpu options' in BIOS.

2. Next problem (again related to power) is that, computer will not boot (no bios or screen image) if you shut down and try to restart quickly. It will need something like 8 - 12 hours of 'rest' before it will even consider to boot again properly. I have not found the solution to this problem even though i spend a lot of time and effort on it.... I just settled for the time being with switching on / off once a day !

3. When I shut down windows, the programs will close, and image signal to the monitor will cease which is a sign that the software has died, but the hardware (fans, lights etc.) will keep on working for another 5 minutes approximately, before it decides to switch the power off. There is no hdd led activity to indicate some software runningg in the background so not sure why its taking so long. As this is the least of my problems, i havent bothered searching out forums for this issue, but yeah one more problem to add to the pile...

This is VERY poor for the price of these mobos and I hope Gigabyte get their act together on this.

ps. I also get the noise from the power supply, especially when a demanding game like BF BC2 is loading but this is not as loud as you guys describe it. maybe my fans are too noisy in my case !

Anyway all in all I believe all problems described above are voltage related probs. Please don't advice any grounding, removing cards, clearing cmos solutions, I tried all (out of the case). No resolution

My setup is

Amazing GA-X58A-UD3R Rev. 1.0
Intel i7 920i
6GB triple channel Corsair Ram 7.7.7.20 (profile 1)
OCZ 850W GameXStream PSU
Nvidia GTX 280
Raid 0 2x250GB WD 7200rpm Sata II
DVD WR Pioneer

Update for everyone... After reading a lot of relevant threads on the web and trying a lot of different tests I convinced myself that the mobo was not the only one to blame for all these probs, so I went ahead and returned my PSU (OCZ 850W GameXStream). I bought a more expensive Tagan Piperock 800W PSU... guess what...  a lot of problems disappeared !

referring to the problems listed above,

Prob No. 1 no longer exists, No matter if I have power saving options enabled/disabled like C1E etc. the computer boots and loads windows with no issues whatsoever.

Prob No 2 again gone... No matter how many times you cold restart during a day the computer will boot up and load windows properly !!!

Prob No 3 still is there, it takes the mobo something like 3-4 minutes to cut power after shut down is complete. I believe this must be a Mobo Bios issue. I will try to find the solution to this.

So yes a good PSU 850 W was incompatible with this mobo and was causing me all this probs !!!

dkslim

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 01:22:30 am »

Update for everyone... After reading a lot of relevant threads on the web and trying a lot of different tests I convinced myself that the mobo was not the only one to blame for all these probs, so I went ahead and returned my PSU (OCZ 850W GameXStream). I bought a more expensive Tagan Piperock 800W PSU... guess what...  a lot of problems disappeared !

Those problems were not about noise, they were about system instability. In my case, changing power supplies did NOT make any difference to the electrical buzzing noise coming from the Gigabyte motherboard and the power supply.

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 09:03:19 am »

Those problems were not about noise, they were about system instability. In my case, changing power supplies did NOT make any difference to the electrical buzzing noise coming from the Gigabyte motherboard and the power supply.

sorry I forgot to mention it in my previous post. Noises are all gone as well, but in order to be sure about this, can you guys recommend any tests i can run to check for any noise ? ? I will confirm whether noises have disappeared after you suggest a couple of tests for me to try out

dkslim

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 09:29:34 am »

sorry I forgot to mention it in my previous post. Noises are all gone as well, but in order to be sure about this, can you guys recommend any tests i can run to check for any noise ? ? I will confirm whether noises have disappeared after you suggest a couple of tests for me to try out

Save your BIOS settings, and reset them to default values. Then start loading windows, and listen closely for any electrical noise coming from the motherboard or power supply when the computer is under load. You'd want to have your ear as close to the motherboard and then the power supply as possible, to be sure.

Also, can you tell us what batch is your motherboard (first 4 digits, should be 10xx), and what windows you use?

Sijmen

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 01:41:39 pm »
cyguardian,

Interesting.  I also have the same problem of the motherboard taking a long time to shut down.  It definately occurs when using ICH10R with a RAID-1 configuration.  I was experimenting with non RAID configurations last week, and don't recall this being a problem, but can't be sure.  I'll go back and try it again in IDE mode and see if the long shut down still occurs, and post my findings here.

Sijmen.

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 03:21:29 pm »
Funny you mention that, I have a RAID config as well with the intel ich chip but I can't remember what no it is. Its the stripe one not the back up one. Let me know what you find out.

Thank you

dkslim

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 03:55:01 pm »
I emailed Gigabyte Taiwan about the UD3R's noise problem, and asked them if they knew what batches have that problem and what batches don't. But I didn't get a helpful answer back from them :(  They made it seem like nobody else has reported this noise problem to their engineering team, and that I'm the only one...

In case anyone's interested in their reply, here it is:

-----------------------------

Dear XXXXXX,

Normally if the noise is not too loud or getting errors, it shouldn't be problem use the hardware. Secondly, if the customer do not submit their issue, then we are not able to track on the component problem. At this moment, we have gotten the message from our FAE team that they do not receive chock issue about this MB and so it should not be much issue with this model.

Since we do not have issues in record, we suggest you might want to contact your local dealer and see if they can let you test the hardware in their shop to prevent getting the same issue to return afterwords? If it still happens, we suggest you to test with other hardware and see whether it could be cause by other device you use. At the same time, you can let the dealer to keep that MB and also the serial number and submit to our local distributor. They will submit the issue to our FAE and they might be able to help to look into this issue later by having the exact hardware. We appreciate your understanding and also your information.

Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 07:14:34 am »
I emailed Gigabyte Taiwan about the UD3R's noise problem, and asked them if they knew what batches have that problem and what batches don't. But I didn't get a helpful answer back from them :(  They made it seem like nobody else has reported this noise problem to their engineering team, and that I'm the only one...

In case anyone's interested in their reply, here it is:

-----------------------------

Dear XXXXXX,

Normally if the noise is not too loud or getting errors, it shouldn't be problem use the hardware. Secondly, if the customer do not submit their issue, then we are not able to track on the component problem. At this moment, we have gotten the message from our FAE team that they do not receive chock issue about this MB and so it should not be much issue with this model.

Since we do not have issues in record, we suggest you might want to contact your local dealer and see if they can let you test the hardware in their shop to prevent getting the same issue to return afterwords? If it still happens, we suggest you to test with other hardware and see whether it could be cause by other device you use. At the same time, you can let the dealer to keep that MB and also the serial number and submit to our local distributor. They will submit the issue to our FAE and they might be able to help to look into this issue later by having the exact hardware. We appreciate your understanding and also your information.

Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

OK, That is incredibly annoying.  Isn't thi an official Gigabyte forum?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 07:15:50 am by onthelistbaby »

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 12:42:03 pm »
I think this problem will never be solved. When a company answers this way is trying to dismissing the problem from their side.
Like dkslim said in my thread, I think if they would recognize that the problem is on their side, they would be flood with a lot of people demanding them for replacement or money back.
Whatever problem might be, it seems to happen much more frequently in Gigabyte's motherboards than in other brands.
Maybe one day we'll start to see besides Memory support lists also PSU support lists for Gigabyte's boards. ::)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:43:42 pm by Von Paulus »

dkslim

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 01:41:26 pm »
Yeah I'm sure Gigabyte knows about the noise problem, their reply didn't deny the noise problem - it just said they didn't keep records of such problems. They probably chose not to document the complaints and replacement requests, due to practicality and business reasons. In my email to them, I listed about 6 forum threads with people complaining about the X58A-UD3R in particular making such noises.

So far, we know the batches 1002, 1003, 1004, 1006 and 1007 make the noise... I'm beginning to fear that maybe ALL of them make the noise? In that case why do only some people complain, could it be that most people just don't hear the noise?

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 01:53:13 pm »
In that case why do only some people complain, could it be that most people just don't hear the noise?
Some won't hear, because they aren't enough ear sensible. Others don't know how to complain. Some are too lazy to do any thing, even write ion the forum. Others just solve the matters on their manners, and return board and buy a different brand. Some might even have the right combination of motherboard batch xxxx with PSU batch xxxx.

Arundor

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 08:55:58 pm »
I have also been having noise issues with my X58A-UD3R.

At first there were two noises, one was a continuous whine/whistle that I could hear at all times regardless of system conditions.  The other was a "squealing" sort of sound that only appeared under specific load circumstances.  Both sounds appear to come from the CPU area.

Thanks for documenting your problems here, as it turned out to be some help to me.  I turned off C1E and set the CPU voltage to 1.2 manually instead of leaving it on auto, and the "squealing" disappeared.  The whistle/whine is still there, however.  I only bought this about a week ago so I had thought about requesting a replacement from the retailer, but after reading this thread it would appear that this is a universal problem.

There has been some discussion that it might be caused by the PSU.  In my case my PSU is a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W, but I have used a multimeter to confirm that the voltages are correct.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:06:57 pm by Arundor »

dkslim

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 12:51:25 am »
I have also been having noise issues with my X58A-UD3R.

At first there were two noises, one was a continuous whine/whistle that I could hear at all times regardless of system conditions.  The other was a "squealing" sort of sound that only appeared under specific load circumstances.  Both sounds appear to come from the CPU area.

Thanks for documenting your problems here, as it turned out to be some help to me.  I turned off C1E and set the CPU voltage to 1.2 manually instead of leaving it on auto, and the "squealing" disappeared.  The whistle/whine is still there, however.  I only bought this about a week ago so I had thought about requesting a replacement from the retailer, but after reading this thread it would appear that this is a universal problem.

There has been some discussion that it might be caused by the PSU.  In my case my PSU is a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W, but I have used a multimeter to confirm that the voltages are correct.

What are the first 4 digits of your motherboard's serial number?

I too get the constant whistling sound, even when the squealing is gone (after setting constant vcore voltage) - the sound is coming from the power supply though, not the cpu area.