Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R electrical noises [solved]

Arundor

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R electrical noises
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 01:23:14 am »
Sorry, I forgot to include it the first time.  Mine is from batch 1002.

dkslim

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2010, 03:27:10 am »
I just did some searching on the net about other X58A models. It seems a few people with the UD5 have complained that it makes the same noise? Can anyone with the UD5 confirm this?

Arundor

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2010, 06:06:44 am »
For lack of any better ideas, I tried setting my QPI/Vtt voltage and IOH Core voltage manually, instead of leaving them on auto.  The volume of the "whining/whistling" sound is a lot less now.  It's still there, but quiet enough that most of the time I can ignore it.

GQ88

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2010, 02:05:34 pm »
Ok I just bought the x58a-ud3r this week and I am also hearing this high pitch noise. I have two concerns of what it maybe.
It either maybe the psu. I have a Thermaltake Toughpower XT 750W.
or it may have something to do with the processor. I have a Intel i7 930 2.8 GHz.
Mobo batch number is 1007.

I have a really good feeling that this issue may have something to do with the PSU.

Let me know if someone can figure out thats wrong with this thing, or if there is a fix for this.

dkslim

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2010, 02:47:45 pm »
Ok I just bought the x58a-ud3r this week and I am also hearing this high pitch noise. I have two concerns of what it maybe.
It either maybe the psu. I have a Thermaltake Toughpower XT 750W.
or it may have something to do with the processor. I have a Intel i7 930 2.8 GHz.
Mobo batch number is 1007.

I have a really good feeling that this issue may have something to do with the PSU.

Let me know if someone can figure out thats wrong with this thing, or if there is a fix for this.

It is the motherboard causing the high pitch noise. You either get noise coming from the motherboard, or the power supply connected, or both.

To reduce the noise coming from the motherboard, you can set voltage to a fixed number (rather than leaving it on auto).

To reduce the noise coming from the power supply connected, you can turn off C1E, and maybe enable C3 state. Or buy another power supply that is less sensitive to noise produced by the motherboard. Generally, the power supplies most sensitive are Seasonic and Corsair - other brands are all less sensitive.

There is no way to eliminate the noise completely, unless you replace the motherboard. Maybe you can try to RMA it to get a different batch?

GQ88

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2010, 03:13:04 pm »
UPDATE!!
Ok so after reading all the post, I tried a few things and I have yet to hear the high pitch noise after a few changes.
The first thing I did was disable C1E.
And second I set the CPU voltage to Normal.

The noise was not even bearable about 30min ago and now I don't hear a single thing.
Batch number is 1007. Can someone else try this and tell me what they get?? Hopefully this works. 

Arundor

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2010, 08:39:46 pm »
UPDATE!!
Ok so after reading all the post, I tried a few things and I have yet to hear the high pitch noise after a few changes.

The noise was not even bearable about 30min ago and now I don't hear a single thing.
Batch number is 1007. Can someone else try this and tell me what they get?? Hopefully this works. 

This helped with one of my problems.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was experiencing two issues, one was an occasional "squealing" sound and the other was a continuous "whistling" sound.

What you describe here fixed my "squealing" sound issue, but not the "whistling" sound.

My batch number is 1002.

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2010, 09:01:29 pm »
You can also try setting _all_ voltages to "normal". Maybe that will get rid of second type of sound too.

The board tends to overvolt some things when left on auto, and you generally don't need that unless you overclock.

dkslim

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2010, 01:10:49 am »
I have a similar experience as Arundor, setting fixed vcore voltage stopped the "squealing" from the motherboard. But I still got "whistling" from the power supply connected. I've tried just about every BIOS setting change (including setting other voltages to fixed/normal amounts) but couldn't get rid of the "whistling".

UD6

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2010, 06:46:47 am »
If you switch off the computer all the noise will be gone  ;D But I guess it is not a solution to switch off things. The board has to work noiseless with whatever setting. Just make sure that it is really the board before you send it back.

skiigor

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2010, 09:17:23 pm »
I can`t confirm electrical noises on my new GA-X58A-UD3R (SN: 101000019615)
No noises similar to recorded on video in other topic

Greetings,

I came to this forum because of this very issue - electronic squealing. I went through three different PSUs before figuring out it was the motherboard causing it. Incidentally, I wasn't exactly wrong the first two times - the motherboard is actually inducing the noise into the PSU (I have tried different brands and models). I'm also hearing the same noise coming from the area of the CPU. I uploaded a short clip which demonstrates the noise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDb-xQHcCx4. All of the noises in the video, including the ones which sound like HDD activity, are coming from the board and PSU. I've found the Windows Experience Test to be a predictable way to cause the board to make the noise and that is what was going on in this clip. This is not a quiet noise - I can hear from the next room.

I am running an i7-930. Disabling C1E has reduced but not eliminated the noise. All of my CPU settings in the BIOS are currently set to the default 'Auto.'

After some search on youtube I am also found some video about this problem (it may appear in different components -  PSU, motherboards, videocards...). Defective or poor quality components:  capacitors or coils  >:(

Question/Answer: Electronic Buzzing/Squealing Noise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wdrQDK388E&feature=related

Zalman ZM-1000HP Power Supply High Pitched Squeal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQa79pWC0OQ&feature=related

Tagan BZ-900 Power Supply and 8800GT High Pitched Squeal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZkwNXoeOeY&NR=1

Coil noise out of ComExpress when initiate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLLh9G3PiZM

My Config:
GA-X58A-UD3R (SN: 101000019615)
Core i7-930
Scythe Ninja 2 s1366 CPU Cooler
2x Kingston 2 GB DDR3 1333 MHz (KVR1333D3N9/2G)
EVGA 8800GT 512 Mb
FSP 600-GLN (PSU)
750 Gb HDD Seagate
PHILIPS DVD-RW

F4 BIOS from the box - updated to F5
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:29:54 pm by skiigor »

dkslim

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2010, 01:57:08 am »
Skiigor, so you don't get any electrical noise on your 1010 motherboard?

Did you leave the vcore voltage on "Auto", as per default settings, for testing? This is when the squealing coming from the motherboard is loudest (if it has the squealing problem).

Also, did you enable C1E and all the other power saving features, for testing? If yes, was there any buzxzing noise coming from the power supply?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 01:57:56 am by dkslim »

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2010, 06:35:03 pm »
cyguardian,

Interesting.  I also have the same problem of the motherboard taking a long time to shut down.  It definately occurs when using ICH10R with a RAID-1 configuration.  I was experimenting with non RAID configurations last week, and don't recall this being a problem, but can't be sure.  I'll go back and try it again in IDE mode and see if the long shut down still occurs, and post my findings here.

Sijmen.

I solved this problem. Reinstalled the chipset drivers from intel and the ICH10R drivers from Gigabyte website. Now computer power shuts down immediately after windows shutdown.

GQ88

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2010, 08:28:34 pm »
UPDATE!!

This helped with one of my problems.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was experiencing two issues, one was an occasional "squealing" sound and the other was a continuous "whistling" sound.

What you describe here fixed my "squealing" sound issue, but not the "whistling" sound.

My batch number is 1002.

Yeah I have yet to hear any of the "whistling sound". I am really glad to see that the squealing sound is gone though. It might have been some issue with the motherboard pushing out more voltage the pcu needs due to the auto setting in vcore in the bios. My best option to you is to open up the case, wait for the "whistling sound" and turn off all your fans excapt the cpu fan. And see if the sound is still there. there might be air flow problem?? or it might just be a fan.

Arundor

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2010, 10:35:34 pm »
Yeah I have yet to hear any of the "whistling sound". I am really glad to see that the squealing sound is gone though. It might have been some issue with the motherboard pushing out more voltage the pcu needs due to the auto setting in vcore in the bios. My best option to you is to open up the case, wait for the "whistling sound" and turn off all your fans excapt the cpu fan. And see if the sound is still there. there might be air flow problem?? or it might just be a fan.

Thanks for the advice, but I have already checked this.  I'm pretty sure it's not a fan.

I've disconnected every fan except the CPU fan and the noise is still there.  The noise does not change if the CPU fan speed changes, so I'm fairly sure it's not that fan either.  I've searched around on various forums and seen a couple other users report this problem, so I don't think it's an isolated issue.

I'm wondering if it might be an issue with power supplies made by Seasonic.  Users of PSU's made by Seasonic or Corsair have reported the same sound, and reported that changing to a PSU made by a different manufacturer fixed the problem.  Some of Corsair's PSU's are manufactured by Seasonic.  I have a PC Power & Cooling PSU, some of which were also manufactured by Seasonic.  Not that I'm an expert on power supplies, but there is enough correlation for me to suspect that it is the cause.

If at some point in the future I can afford to buy a non-Seasonic PSU, I may give that a try.