Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R electrical noises [solved]

dkslim

GA-X58A-UD3R electrical noises [solved]
« on: March 03, 2010, 12:18:02 pm »
============Added by Admin:=============

There is solution for this issue, which is described here

====================================

I just got this Gigabyte motherboard (x58A UD3R Rev 1.0), and at default BIOS settings, I can hear a high-pitch electrical buzzing/chirping/squealing/screeching noise coming from the CPU socket area. The noise happens whenever there is any activity on the computer (eg. when loading windows 7 and shutting down). It is not a constant noise - the noise varies in intensity, depending on how much activity there is.

Does anyone else here experience the same noise problem? I can't seem to find any reports of it on here.

What is causing the electrical noise? I think it is to do with sudden voltage fluctuations, but isn't a motherboard supposed to cope with this without emitting any noise?

I've tried changing some BIOS settings (eg. disabling C1E and EIST, enabling C3 state, enabling load line calibration #2), and updated my BIOS to the latest version F4, but it makes no difference to the noise.

And yes, I am sure that the noise is coming from the motherboard (not the power supply. graphics card or a fan).

I've swapped the motherboard for another one (same model) at the store, and the replacement is making the same noise.

I notice that some other people are also reporting similar noise issues on forums, for example here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423

I need a quiet computer, and I find this noise unacceptable. What should I do? Swap it for another one (even though I have already done it once without resolving the problem), or change for another Gigabyte model that is guaranteed not to make such noises?

----------
My system specs are as follows:
i7 920 (not overclocked)
6gb Gskill NQ DDR3 1600
MSI ATI Radeon 4850
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640gb
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:42:38 pm by runn3R »

Tom N.

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R electrical noises
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 02:15:56 pm »
Although it may not seem like it it is the power supply however it is the motherboard causing it as my P5b didn't do it. Disabling 'C1E' in the BIOS got rid of the noise for me.

dkslim

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 10:38:51 pm »
Disabling C1E is the remedy if the noise is coming from the power supply. But the noise is not coming from my power supply - it is coming from the motherboard socket area itself (I know because I have the motherboard outside the case, with the power supply some distance away, and can hear exactly where the noise comes from). So, disabling C1E does not fix my problem :(

Beekeeper

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 06:02:35 pm »
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

dkslim

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 03:08:20 am »
read this post:
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,794.0.html

That post is about noise coming from the VGA card. A separate issue - I was complaining about noise coming directly from the motherboard CPU area (I actually took the motherboard out of the case, and put my ear over the area to confirm where it was coming froM).

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 01:15:40 pm »
Hi, I have the same board and get the same problem.  This is the second that I have had, as I had to RMA the first due to the channel A ram slots not working.  Both of the X58A-UD3R boards have had the problem, but it didn't happen on my old P45-UD3P.

There is a thread on the Extreme Systems Forum that mentions that the problem can be lessend by disabling/changing C1E and other power saving states.  They also claim that different power supplies give different results.  I happen to be using a Corsair HX850W.

I haven't tried disabling power saving, but will try it tonight.  The problem is very pronounced in my system and I am annoyed by it.  I would like to have a very quiet system.

skiigor

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 02:12:13 pm »
Hi, I have the same board and get the same problem.  This is the second that I have had, as I had to RMA the first due to the channel A ram slots not working.  Both of the X58A-UD3R boards have had the problem, but it didn't happen on my old P45-UD3P.

There is a thread on the Extreme Systems Forum that mentions that the problem can be lessend by disabling/changing C1E and other power saving states.  They also claim that different power supplies give different results.  I happen to be using a Corsair HX850W.

I haven't tried disabling power saving, but will try it tonight.  The problem is very pronounced in my system and I am annoyed by it.  I would like to have a very quiet system.

At the hardforum.com, I read that there is another possible way to solve this problem -

"- I have changed the volts to my CPU to 1.2 and i no longer have coil whine with C1E up."
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1493744&page=9

Please leave feedback here if you try these methods  ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:14:55 pm by skiigor »

dkslim

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 03:39:41 am »
I have now tried 3 of these motherboards, 2 from the "1003" batch and 1 from the "1004" batch. Both batches make the noise.

Recently, I found that I could eliminate the noise coming from the motherboard area, by setting the voltage to a specified level (rather than leaving it at "Auto"). But this doesn't solve the problem completely, because there is still electrical buzzing noise coming from my power supply (I've tried 3 different power supplies). The power supply makes no such noise when connected to another motherboard.

I have a feeling that the Gigabyte motherboards have some error in their voltage regulation, which causes feedback to pass into the connected power supply, causing any power supply it's connected to to buzz. You'll need a power supply that is very insensitive, to get rid of the noise. But the source of the problem is the motherboard, which produces dirty power.

This is simply unacceptable. I urge everyone experiencing this noise issue to complain to Gigabyte and demand that they fix it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:43:21 am by dkslim »

scjet

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 07:21:56 pm »
 I'm gonna go out  a limb here, but any noise that I have ever experienced was due to a POOR pwr supply, try a 80+ Certifoed thingy- I don't know.?
 Pwr supplies DO NOT normally go bad, but their capacitors do, leakage?, antennae influences such as cheap wireless controllers/broadcasters',..., ? that causes in-noise ?. that's a start anyway.
 Yes, I own a ...UD3R, and I have had NO related noise problems -than again, I made sure I bought a Corsair 850-Watt certified pwr. supply. its overkill right now but it wasn't a lot more either.
MB: GA-X58A-UD3R / GA-890FXA-UD5
CPU: Intel Core i7-930 / AMD Phenom II 1090T
Heatsink: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 / NH-C12P SE14
Mem: G.Skill DDR3-1600 Triple-Ch 1.5V (12800CL9T-6G) / Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 Dual-Ch 1.5V DDR3-1333 (16-Gig kit)

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 09:24:53 pm »
hi

I have the GA-X58A-UD3R Ver1.0

I have very issues with the voltage on this mobo and Gigabyte needs to fix this as soon as possible. It is very annoying. Here are the problems in the order that I had to deal with them. I believe all are related to mobo as I had the shop i bought the parts from to try a different PSU and the same issues arose.

1. If I left the power saving options enabled C1E and c1/c3 blah blah in BIOS then the Computer would not load windows (it wouldn't actually go through the setup of Windows). At the startup screen of Windows 7 it would shut down and restart going into this power shut down cycle continuously. I 'fixed' this prob by disabling the two power saving options in 'advanced cpu options' in BIOS.

2. Next problem (again related to power) is that, computer will not boot (no bios or screen image) if you shut down and try to restart quickly. It will need something like 8 - 12 hours of 'rest' before it will even consider to boot again properly. I have not found the solution to this problem even though i spend a lot of time and effort on it.... I just settled for the time being with switching on / off once a day !

3. When I shut down windows, the programs will close, and image signal to the monitor will cease which is a sign that the software has died, but the hardware (fans, lights etc.) will keep on working for another 5 minutes approximately, before it decides to switch the power off. There is no hdd led activity to indicate some software runningg in the background so not sure why its taking so long. As this is the least of my problems, i havent bothered searching out forums for this issue, but yeah one more problem to add to the pile...

This is VERY poor for the price of these mobos and I hope Gigabyte get their act together on this.

ps. I also get the noise from the power supply, especially when a demanding game like BF BC2 is loading but this is not as loud as you guys describe it. maybe my fans are too noisy in my case !

Anyway all in all I believe all problems described above are voltage related probs. Please don't advice any grounding, removing cards, clearing cmos solutions, I tried all (out of the case). No resolution

My setup is

Amazing GA-X58A-UD3R Rev. 1.0
Intel i7 920i
6GB triple channel Corsair Ram 7.7.7.20 (profile 1)
OCZ 850W GameXStream PSU
Nvidia GTX 280
Raid 0 2x250GB WD 7200rpm Sata II
DVD WR Pioneer

dkslim

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 05:21:18 am »
Those who have this motherboard - can you please tell us:
1) Does your motherboard make the electrical noise?
2) What are the first 4 digits of the motherboard's serial number? That's the batch number... so far I've got the noise problems on the 1003 and 1004 batches... hoping to find out which batches DONT have this problem.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 05:22:56 am by dkslim »

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 06:27:49 am »

Have the noises on stock settings. Goes away if vcore set to 1.20 (on stock).

When overclocked never hear the noise (but I have C1E disabled most of the time then, and voltages are not on auto).

Once the noise was really loud, don't remember circumstances though (windows was doing boot time check disk).

(it also has cold boot/shutdown problems: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1569.0.html)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:31:59 am by UnFleshedOne »

UD6

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 11:46:40 am »
Just send the board back - there is nothing YOU can do.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:51:22 am by UD6 »

dkslim

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 04:14:57 pm »
I have sent them back, 3 of them. I want to get one that doesn't have this stupid noise. And serial number (ie. batch number) tracking can possibly help me and others get a non-squealing UD3R.

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 12:33:11 am »
Just replaced mine for 1007, and it has same noises on default settings. (didn't try changing voltages yet)