Official GIGABYTE Forum

G1.Sniper z87 - More than 2 DIMMs Error 15

G1.Sniper z87 - More than 2 DIMMs Error 15
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:23:07 am »
First off - Hello forums.

I've been reading alot on the z87 mobo forums (since Friday)... and after giving everything my due dilligence, I decided to post and get some input form the communiy, which seems to be well versed in this z87/Memory issue.

Summary of my problem:

When I have more than 2 sticks of RAM installed, I get a POST error. Constant beeping for 10 - 12 seconds, followed by a reboot, and repeat of the beeps.
It will go on like this until I cut the power.
The digital readout shows Error code "15" ... I've read that it's a Northbridge Initialization Error, and a Memory controller error... but I can't deifiniteively determine which of those is true.

In order for the thing to boot up at all, I have to put a single stick in, or put in two, in slots DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 (which is how the manual labels them)...in non-labeled terms... the two DIMMs furthest from the CPU socket.

If I put them in the two slots closest to the CPU socket (DDR3_4 and DDR3_2), I get the rapid beeping and code 15 POST error.

I've tried booting with single sticks, and every stick works fine. I've tried all combinations of two sticks, and they all work fine.
Going beyond two sticks nets me the boot error.

I've updated the BIOS using the @BIOS utility, and it's the latest version (F2).

The only thing I have not tried is using different memory - as mine isn't on the Compatability List for the G1 Sniper z87 board.
I'm going to borrow 4 sticks of newer DDR3 memory from a firned tomorrow, and give them a try to see if it's my memory causing the problem.

In addition, I fired up CPU-Z, and it showed different setings on each stick (and also recognized them as Slot 3 and Slot 4, which is in conflict with the manual).
I'll try and attach the pictures of CPU-Z below.

I've tried some of the other suggestions from the '4 Sticks causes BSOD' thread, but they haven't helped (adjsuted voltage by +0.200).

I'll provide any other information necessary; I'm just trying to get things figured out, so I'll know if I have to RMA the board.

Thanks for any input or help.

Here is a rundown of my system:

EVGA 04G-P4-3768-KR GeForce GTX 760 FTW 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card w/ EVGA ACX Cooler

Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K

GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91

8 Gigs of memory - G.SKILL 4GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

(post edited for formatting)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:36:43 am by ConradsLaces »

Re: G1.Sniper z87 - More than 2 DIMMs Error 15
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 02:46:37 pm »
Update -

I borrowed two sticks of RAM from a friend. G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 ... 2x4GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314), and tried them.
The system wouldn't boot with them in Dual Channel, and gave me Debug/Error Code 15.
They would work fine in Single Channel mode though - just like my current RAM.

I tried each slot individually, and found that the two slots furthest from the CPU (which are what normally work), are functioning fine... but the board gives the Error 15/Constant beep when I populate either of the slots closest to the CPU socket.

So.. for some reason it looks like those two DIMMs aren't working. I have a few more things to try tonight, based on more scouring of the internet...
1. Setting memory setting manually, rather than using the 'Auto' setitng.
2. Loosening the CPU cooler by 1/4 turn on each screw.
3. Enabling the on-board Intel graphics.

I hate how pervasive this problem is. Form everything I've read, there's always some very strange, and inconsistent solution... rarely has any particular fix worked for more than 2 people.... and the issue spans all manufacturers it seems... MSI, ASUS, gigabyte... it's like the z87 series is just borked.

Re: G1.Sniper z87 - More than 2 DIMMs Error 15
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 04:27:08 pm »

...cause found...

Bent pins.

RMA.