Official GIGABYTE Forum

How to delete old drive in BIOS

How to delete old drive in BIOS
« on: June 10, 2014, 07:20:21 pm »
GA-Z77-DS3H
A couple of years ago, in addition to my 1st physical hard drive containing Windows,  I had a 2nd separate hard drive installed with Linux (Ubuntu).
The Linux drive has long been removed entirely from the system and moved to another tower.  However, in my BIOS, it is still lists "Ubuntu" as an optional boot item in both my "Priority List" and my "Quick Boot" list.  This doesn't really hurt anything because the selection is now non-functional but it is an annoyance and clutters up the list of REAL available boot items. Therefore, I would like to delete it entirely from the available choices but do not see how to edit or delete it.  I would have thought it would have disappeared once I physically removed the drive from the computer but it did not do so.

How can I delete the old reference from the BIOS selections?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: How to delete old drive in BIOS
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 12:26:12 am »
Have you tried to pull the battery and clear the cmos. Do that for about 10 mins? Then go back set it to defaults settings.

Then go back in setup the bios the way you had it. Plus don't forget to reset the date and time.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Re: How to delete old drive in BIOS
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 03:51:33 am »
Dmdilks, Thx for quick reply.
That thought also occurred to me as a possible solution.

However, shortly after my original posting, I discovered I could accomplish my task using another method.
I noted my BIOS version was a bit dated and saw that updates were available on the GIGABYTE website.
Personally, I don't usually update a BIOS unless I have a specific need to do so (using the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach).
My older version was still working fine (for me) but I backed it up anyway and installed an updated version.
After rebooting, the obsolete drive references all disappeared . . . . problem solved.
I'm sure the BIOS update re-scanned the system hard drives and updated the list of AVAILABLE drives accordingly.