Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z87MX-D3H can't use PCI Gen 3.0 with GTX 770

GA-Z87MX-D3H can't use PCI Gen 3.0 with GTX 770
« on: June 13, 2014, 09:45:13 am »
I got a new PNY GTX 770 4GB OC and whenever I boot to Windows7, OS X (10.9.3) once everything is loaded the desktop freezes but the mouse can still be moved and then drivers crash, this happen when the Bios on PCIe is selected as "Auto" or "Pcie Gen 3". So the problem here is a hardware issue, because this happen with both OS. Configuring Bios to run "PCIe Gen 2" it runs awesome rock solid, there aren't any issues.

Prior to this card I had a GTS 250 without any issues because that one as also 2.0

I have updated the Bios from F5 to latest F6 and with the same results, this also happen when the CPU is on stock values and optimized defaults bios settings are loaded, it doesn't matter, it always fault exactly the same freezing and drivers crashing.

However digging on my motherboard (ga-z87mx-d3h) Bios, regarding PCie I found this.

Auto = System will detect the appropriate PCIe Gen according to installed graphics card
Note PCIe Gen.3 will offer optimal bandwidth when paired with a compatible Gen.3 graphic card.
However Gen2. may be preferable in certain OC Configurations.

So according to that note on Bios. I'm thinking that because this video card is lightly factory overclocked, the motherboard is having a hard time dealing with it when it's setup as PCI 3.0

Does this make sense? in case it make sense, anyone know which are those "certain OC Configurations" ?

Or you guys think something is faulty ?

My rig.
Mobo: GA-Z87MX-D3H (Bios F6)
i7-4770K OC @ 4.2
PSU: TX650 V2
Ram Mushkins silverline 2x4gb 1333mhz 9-9-9-24

Thanks.

Re: GA-Z87MX-D3H can't use PCI Gen 3.0 with GTX 770
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 10:13:37 am »
So nobody knows what could be happening?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 12:24:33 pm »
Don't know why this is happening but you could try the F7b beta BIOS over at TweakTown here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html to see if that resolves the issue.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:28:40 am »
Don't know why this is happening but you could try the F7b beta BIOS over at TweakTown here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html to see if that resolves the issue.

Thank you but that didn't work, actually now my motherboard wont post. 

First i try the F7b bios, using q-flash or efiflash, but for some odd reason it always throw me an error "The current flash utility is outdated" so I flashed with @BIOS, it went thru without problems, however my initial problem about PCI it was worst, with that beta BIOS it gives me blue screen,freezes and reboots, even using my card at PCI 2.0 which in F6 worked fine.  So I wanted to downgrade to F6 but @BIOS give me an error "This motherboard is protected from using this BIOS"  and efiflash.exe give me that it was outdated, so I flashed back  to F6 using  this then everything was fine, but on the next reboot, i got an error that the main BIOS was corrupted and it went thru a recovery process, after that my motherboard is stuck on a boot loop only showing the splash screen.  I can't enter BIOS, load Q-Flash, nothing.... 

You know how can i fix this thing?

However I find that certanly this motheboard doesn't work right with my GTX 770 OC, because i tried the video card today on another PC on PCI 3.0 and it worked with out problems.