Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA Z97X UD5H turns off and turns back on continuously

Hello there, I am running into a serious problem that is seriously getting me frustrated.

So about two weeks ago I got a GA Z97X UD5H motherboard and I hooked it up and everything and the motherboard would turn on, then give on the debug LED screen a "20", and would shut off and restart the process again until I turned the power off from the Powersupply. So I decided to get it replaced, thinking it was the motherboard, I tested the Powersupply with my older rig and it worked fine, and the GA Z97X UD5H motherboard still would give me the error when everything but the Powersupply and the processor were in, and there didn't seem to be a cord that I was not plugging in.

So I just got a new one today, and its still giving me the error and I don't know whats wrong, and I tried to look up the debug code for "20" but it says its Reserved, so I have no clue what to do right now and I'm concerned it might be the processor but I'm so tired of having to return things that take weeks to finally get a replacement back. I really need some help guys, I'm stuck here.

ac

Re: Gigabyte GA Z97X UD5H turns off and turns back on continuously
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 08:14:05 am »
It is highly unlikely it is the processor. You can test your processor with Intel's free processor burn in program. I would disconnect anything that is not critical to boot your computer. Disconnect your cd rom drives, only leave your boot c:/ drive connected. Remove any cards that are installed in you pci bays. Disconnect any audio cables. Disconnect any usb headers. Disconnect any power cables that are not needed.

Make sure you have your cpu power cables connected to the motherboard. Makes sure you cpu heat sink is installed properly. Make sure you cpu fan is connected properly.

Only use one stick of ram. You boot only with the bare essentials with a problem like this.

If you are using a video card make sure the card has external power if needed from your power supply and the connectors are properly seated. Make sure your power supply is adequate to run your video card( +12v amp rail has proper amperage, minimums will not due.)

You Bios can be corrupted, reset, cmos.  Switch to B Bios.  Update Bios.
Try a different Video Card.
Try a different video cable and/or monitor. I had a monitor with shorted capacitors on the digital signal side that cause problems before.

If you made all these checks and it still have the same problem. Most likely cause is a bad motherboard. It can be your power supply. You can also have a shorted ram DDR3 module, which happens but not often.

You weren't clear what you really replaced.

Buy a power supply tester to test it properly.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:35:19 am by ac »

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 12:31:04 am »
Everything AC said. Had this happen two weeks ago with my new z97 soc force. I was freaking out! went the systematic trial and error of each part. Turned out to be the Keyboard. Once I hooked it up to another computer it started shuting off and suddenly starting. I type this now on an old gateway 2000 keyboard. ;D

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 06:38:35 am »
I'm having a similar problem with my GA-Z97N-WIFI. Its a brand new build. The specs are

GA-Z97N-WIFI Mainboard
Intel I3-4130T
EVGA 430W 80PLUS Certified ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply
WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD30EFRX
8 gigs of TeamGroup Inc. ted34096m1333mhz Elite CL=9-9-9-24
Win 8.1 64 bit

I suspected the memory could be bad since it was the only thing that wasn't new on this build. Let me know if you traced the problem down. I'm going to be doing some troubleshooting tomorrow when my memory gets here. Ill let ya know if i figure anything out.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 04:34:15 am »
Hello there, I am running into a serious problem that is seriously getting me frustrated.

So about two weeks ago I got a GA Z97X UD5H motherboard and I hooked it up and everything and the motherboard would turn on, then give on the debug LED screen a "20", and would shut off and restart the process again until I turned the power off from the Powersupply. So I decided to get it replaced, thinking it was the motherboard, I tested the Powersupply with my older rig and it worked fine, and the GA Z97X UD5H motherboard still would give me the error when everything but the Powersupply and the processor were in, and there didn't seem to be a cord that I was not plugging in.

So I just got a new one today, and its still giving me the error and I don't know whats wrong, and I tried to look up the debug code for "20" but it says its Reserved, so I have no clue what to do right now and I'm concerned it might be the processor but I'm so tired of having to return things that take weeks to finally get a replacement back. I really need some help guys, I'm stuck here.

I'm also having a similar problem with my day old Z97X-UD5H with

Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K
Crucial Ballistix Tactical Low Profile 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Modules BLT4C8G3D1608ET3LX0
SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W ATX 12V v2.3 & EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

I am trying to simply boot to BIOS with no OS installed yet. I removed SSD, DVD and have no other hardware mounted. I am using 2 monitors with no G-card only trying to use on board graphics. I have one cable from PS to board and when I power up the CPU fan runs for a few seconds and stops and starts and stops continually. I tried BIOS switch which fixed the fan from stopping and restarting but still nothing but black screen. I can't tell what BIOS this board has but this CPU needs 7. First: where is the text located that shows the BIOS number and what could I have over looked in the assembly that gives me this condition. I tried re-seating the CPU, removing and switching the RAM one stick at a time but now I'm lost at what to try next.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.
 Al

autotech

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 04:57:49 am »
your board was shipping with F5 bios update it to F7 to see your 4790k.  

Format a usb with fat32 then download and extract bios to floppy when you boot hit the end key and tell it to update from drive.

All this is useless if the board isn't booting into bios in the first place but you can try anyway.

Start it with onlt what is needed 1 stick ram cpu PSU, hard drive and 1 monitor.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 04:58:52 am by autotech »
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 08:53:06 am »
OK, now I have to locate a floppy drive. I'll look. Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 01:17:59 pm »
Memory was my issues. Problem solved!  ;D

autotech

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 02:08:47 am »
My bad I said usb first then floppy. Don't use a floppy is a lot easier to use a usb drive.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 02:14:20 pm »
My bad I said usb first then floppy. Don't use a floppy is a lot easier to use a usb drive.
Great. USB sounds fine with me.

Thanks.

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 07:17:27 pm »
It is highly unlikely it is the processor. You can test your processor with Intel's free processor burn in program. I would disconnect anything that is not critical to boot your computer. Disconnect your cd rom drives, only leave your boot c:/ drive connected. Remove any cards that are installed in you pci bays. Disconnect any audio cables. Disconnect any usb headers. Disconnect any power cables that are not needed.

Make sure you have your cpu power cables connected to the motherboard. Makes sure you cpu heat sink is installed properly. Make sure you cpu fan is connected properly.

Only use one stick of ram. You boot only with the bare essentials with a problem like this.

If you are using a video card make sure the card has external power if needed from your power supply and the connectors are properly seated. Make sure your power supply is adequate to run your video card( +12v amp rail has proper amperage, minimums will not due.)

You Bios can be corrupted, reset, cmos.  Switch to B Bios.  Update Bios.
Try a different Video Card.
Try a different video cable and/or monitor. I had a monitor with shorted capacitors on the digital signal side that cause problems before.

If you made all these checks and it still have the same problem. Most likely cause is a bad motherboard. It can be your power supply. You can also have a shorted ram DDR3 module, which happens but not often.

You weren't clear what you really replaced.

Buy a power supply tester to test it properly.

Everything is new. I am building from scratch. I only have one cable connected from the PSU securely to the board. I tried this several times. The heat sink is installed correctly. I checked the back of the board and the fan is plugged in securely. I tried removing and rearranging the RAM using one stick at a time. I removed every connection other than the SSD. I don't have a vid card yet. The board has on board graphics that is supported by the CPU. I also tried installing a card. I switched the BIOS SW and found that the fan runs steadily but still no display. I have switched monitors and assured they work with another system next to this assembly. I have PSU tester and everything looks fine.

I have since returned the board and expect another to arrive soon so I am hoping this issue is fixed. I do want to be prepared in the event this occurs again.

Thanks for your reply.

Al

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 07:19:30 pm »
Everything AC said. Had this happen two weeks ago with my new z97 soc force. I was freaking out! went the systematic trial and error of each part. Turned out to be the Keyboard. Once I hooked it up to another computer it started shuting off and suddenly starting. I type this now on an old gateway 2000 keyboard. ;D
I tried another keyboard.

Thanks.