Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-990XA-UD3 questions

GA-990XA-UD3 questions
« on: June 27, 2014, 03:59:48 pm »
I've had this board for a couple years now. It's still fantastic and does what I need.

I recently purchased the Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X GV-R928XOC-3GD
and
AMD FX-6350 Black Edition 3.9GHz Six Core Processor

In making the changes we may have killed the mobo (long story short, it was a fater/son project)

We pulled the mob and bench tested it with the cpu but have absolity no power to the board. At present I have a new PSU onw to try and bench test the mobo again.

So bottom line... Can I purchase a 990FXA-UD5 and still use the same HDD... Should the situation require a new mobo?

Thank you.

Re: GA-990XA-UD3 questions
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 07:23:27 pm »
So I fund a few points of interest for my self, but still have questions.

use  usb stick to flash it with. you can not just download and install it from desktop. Make sure when you flash it to clear dmi.

Just use a FAT32 formatted USB pen drive instead of a floppy. You will need to make sure that the BIOS update file is on the boot sector and that your BIOS is set to boot from USB first. For that to happen you will need to have the USB stick inserted in the machine for it to register."
Put the USB stick into the computer. Turn on and enter the BIOS setup menu. Go to the boot tab and select BOOT form USB first. press F10 and save and exit. Leave USB pen in computer and reboot pressing the END key to enter the Q-Flash program.

Thanks to Dark Mantis

I have found the most recent drivers for my rev here http://it.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-990xa-ud3rev_10/download/bios.

As I am not sure what bios I had prior to pulling the old cpu  >:( I would imagine the BIOS may be the issue