Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-B85M-D2V no post. Turning on and off at 2s intervals.

GA-B85M-D2V no post. Turning on and off at 2s intervals.
« on: July 11, 2014, 10:43:09 am »
I bought a GA-B85M-D2V and an Intel i5-4460. I chose the motherboard because I saw from the compatibiility list that all haswell and haswell-refresh are supported from F3 bios.
However the system doesn't work. It turns on for about 2 seconds, during which all fans spin. Then it turns off. After 2 seconds it starts again and so on.

I checked all connectors including the 8-pin EPS and the 24pin ATX.

with some googling I found out this table http://www.techpowerup.com/img/14-02-27/Gigabyte_Haswell_Refresh_MBs_04.jpg
in which this motherboard DOES have a F2 version. So F3 isn't the first version available (as stated on the website)!.
Is it possible that I got the motherboard with the F2 version and now I have to update the bios before I can proceed?

Is there any way to update the bios without having to get a compatible cpu? (I've read somewhere that asus boards have an automatic flashing utility that works without a cpu).

Are there any other possible problems?

The rams are Crucial UDIMM DDR3 1600mhz 11cl

Re: GA-B85M-D2V no post. Turning on and off at 2s intervals.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 07:37:12 pm »
ok, I solved the problem

I brought the motherboard in a support center and asked them to upgrade the bios. The bios originally installed was version F1. This was really surprising because not only haswell-refresh cpus but also haswell cpus, according to the gigabyte website, require at least bios F3 to run. Has anything changed so that F1 and F2 are not recommended anymore, even if they seem to work?

Now I have F5 and my 4460 is working fine.

I think the website info is really unclear. By reading the tables you may think that the minimum version this board ships with is F3, which is not true because F1 and F2 do exist and they do work with haswell processors.