O/S: Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
BIOS: F9

I had the following set in the BIOS:
OnChip SATA Controller [Native IDE]
OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type [IDE]

I then used the registry trick and switched the BIOS settings to:
OnChip SATA Controller [AHCI]

The computer seemed work OK for several months but then started crashing once in a while. For the last week the computer started to BSOD with the frequency now once every few hours. The last time this happened after I rebooted the computer it could not even find a boot drive!

I leave the computer on for days at a time so I let the computer go into sleep mode. Also lately the computer would not want to come out of sleep mode sometimes. I started to suspect the boot drive might be causing the BSODs so I tested it with Seagate Seatools and Windows "Error Checking". The results are as follows:
Boot drive - passed Seatools diagnostics.
Partitions C,D,E - passed manual running of "Error Checking"
Partition C - set to auto run "Error Checking" during next boot. Unfortunately it would never run during boot.

I started to wonder if Partition C had become corrupt over time. "Error Checking" was supposed to detect and repair this when the computer boots but this obviously was not happening.

I went into the BIOS and changed things back to what they were originally:
OnChip SATA Controller [Native IDE]

The random crashes and BSODs have gone away. Coming out of Sleep mode so far has not had any problems.

Is there a problem with the AHCI driver that caused this?
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.0 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | Windows 7 Ult 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2 (4x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 | Windows 7 Home Prem  64-bit

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-990FXA-UD3 rev 1.0 BSODs with AHCI mode
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 02:21:52 pm »
The thing is you really don't need to run AHCI with a sata hard drive. Yes it will give you a little performance boost.

Yes that driver that windows uses could have come corrupt. The funny part is that when you change it back to IDE.

You than booted right into windows right or wrong? Then there was something wrong right from the start and just took time.

The only reason I'm saying that is because you really can't just the bios and boot back into windows.

I would just leave things a lone and see how things runs. If everything is running fine than it isn't the drive.

If you want to run AHCI and get that prefromance boost. I would get a SSD. Do a clean install of windows. Set it up right from the start AHCI.

The Chip SATA Port4/5 Type [IDE] is use more for sata CD, DVD & DVD/rw drives.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:23:53 pm by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.