Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z97X-UD5H Fan Speed Control

c1

GA-Z97X-UD5H Fan Speed Control
« on: August 07, 2014, 05:08:18 am »
Can somebody explain what the GA-Z97X-UD5H motherboard and F8 bios support in regards to fan speed control.

All my fans are currently non-pwm (3 pin) with speed sensor.  The two identical case fan plugged in on 1 and 3.  The Smart Fan Advanced calibration on these are similar with an odd exception on the pin 3 fan.  At 20% work load it has 821 rpm instead of zero.  Otherwise both start at 40% with 588/612 rpm going gradually up.The user interface allows me to change the rpm at each of the work level but won't retain any changes that I specify.  Even after pressing the apply button.  Besides these oddness the fan speeds appear to be controlled as promised.

The calibration of the CPU fan set the rpm for all workloads to the maximum rpm.  The user interface doesn't allow me to change anything in the "rpm fixed mode" either.  It would really be nice to have the bios slow down the fan as it has a huge cooler and with 22 degree Celsius running cold.  No need for the excess noise.

1) So is fan speed controlling by the bios supported for non-pwm fans on all fan headers (i.e. provide voltage based speed control)?
2) Can the CPU_OPT header be used for a second CPU fan? 
3) Is the Smart Fan Advanced changing bios settings or does the temperature monitoring and fan control happen via a background program that runs under Windows?
4) Are we supposed to be able to adjust the workload-fan speed table for each fan?
5) Do people use better software than Gigabyte's Smart Fan?

c1

Re: GA-Z97X-UD5H Fan Speed Control
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 04:28:56 am »
I played a little bit more with the fans today.  The CPU fan does run slower when connected on fan header 2.  Setting the fan speed in the bios to full speed results 1238 rpm, the silent setting gives 472 rpm.  Would be nice if that works on the CPU fan header as well.

I did also try out the stock intel cooler fan that is a 4 pin fan.  On full it had 2070 rpm and on silent 1020 rpm.  Now I wonder if the cpu fan header just doesn't adjust 3 pin fans or if the other fan just spins to slow for the cpu header pin and the motherboard tries to keep it high.

Now I added the resistor that came with my cooler fan for quieter operation and the fan spins at 921 rpm.  Gigabyte's smart fan calibration software again set all workload percentages to that rpm.

BTW, the 3 pinned fan header 4 on the mother board does not regulate fan speeds.  That is a known feature of the motherboard.