Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA 970A-DS3P No beep, corrupted Bios

Krakn

GA 970A-DS3P No beep, corrupted Bios
« on: September 01, 2014, 11:34:54 pm »
So, I recently built a computer and since day 1 its been taking at least 5 attempts to get it to load the "Gigabyte" screen. When you press the power button the leds (fan) and the fans start but after 2 secs it shuts down. You can hear the CPU Fan running like a turbine when it tries to start.

There is no Beep until it properly starts and when it does it shows: "The main bios is corrupted. The system will recover from the backup bios". After a few secs it reboots again and finally loads windows.

Mother: GA 970 DS3P Rev 1.0
CPU: FX 8350 Black Edition
PSU: Corsair CX600
GPU: Sapphire R9 R270
Ram: Gskill 2x4gb 1866mhz

Any ideas? Also sometimes when I unplug an usb drive it shuts down (Win 8.1 64bits)

Thanks for reading, your help is appreciated

JGB123

• Stability is the keystone of true performance.
Re: GA 970A-DS3P No beep, corrupted Bios
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 03:04:06 am »
I found some 'solutions'--some of which involve selectively shorting out BIOS chip pins:

[GUIDE] Forcing backup BIOS on Gigabyte motherboards. | Overclockers Forums
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/697533-GUIDE-Forcing-backup-BIOS-on-Gigabyte-motherboards

How to fix "dead" dual BIOS motherboard if flashing failed
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/33904-how-fix-dead-dual-bios-motherboard-if-flashing-failed.html

How to force a Gigabyte motherboard to boot into its Backup BIOS at DuckDuckGo
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=How+to+force+a+Gigabyte+motherboard+to+boot+into+its+Backup+BIOS

It seems to me that there MUST be a simple key combination which will force a Gigabyte motherboard to boot into its Backup BIOS chip. Does anyone know what it is?

After all...

After using a socket AM3 processor to update its Main BIOS to achieve support for an FX-8350 (and then testing the results for a few days), here is how I updated my GA-990XA-UD3 (rev. 1.x)'s Backup BIOS chip to match its Main BIOS chip:

1 - Use a PS/2 keyboard
2 - In BIOS, Load Fail-Safe Defaults
3 - Exit BIOS and reboot while holding down <Alt> and repeatedly tapping <F12>
4 - The following message should appear: "Press [Enter] to start copying Main BIOS to Backup BIOS..."
5 - After the Main BIOS has been copied to the Backup BIOS the following message should appear: "BIOS successfully recovered! Power off or reset system!"
6 - Switch off the power supply (or unplug its AC cord)
7 - Wait a minute or so for the voltages in the motherboard to dissipate and then clear the CMOS
8 - Turn on the power supply, boot into the BIOS utility and then Load Optimized Defaults
9 - Reboot

I have successfully employed the above steps on my current motherboard, a GA-990XA-UD3 (rev. 1.x), to equalize its Main and Backup BIOS chips to BIOS ver. F14b (which I downloaded earlier this year) thus imbuing the motherboard with native support for my FX-8350 in case the 'board's Main BIOS ever becomes corrupted due to a malware attack etc and the GA-990XA-UD3 (rev. 1.x) has to boot into its Backup BIOS to repair its Main BIOS.

EDIT

On a hunch I tried a variation of the above step 3; Holding down <Alt> while repeatedly tapping <F11> which yielded the following on-screen message:

1. Remove fixture or change jumper
2. Press [Enter] to start BIOS recovery....

I suspect that the cryptic "1. Remove fixture or change jumper" is in reference to some expansion cards which I have installed in my PC.

Next, I repeatedly rebooted the machine while holding down <Alt> and tapping each of the F-keys in turn with each reboot and got nothing but regular boots.

Finally, I once again rebooted while holding down <Alt> and repeatedly tapping <F11> and got:

1. Remove fixture or change jumper
2. Press [Enter] to start BIOS recovery....

Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 03:57:28 am by JGB123 »
Search. Discovery is curiosity's reward.

linuxmint-17.3-mate-64bit, 4.2.0-42-lowlatency | GA-990XA-UD3 rev. 1.x, both BIOS chips @ ver. F14d | 1100T, D3 | 4 x KVR16E11S8/4 (1333, 9-9-9-24) | GT640-DCSL-2GD3 | 1920x1080 HDMI TV | HCG-620 | DRW-24F1ST | 1 x ST3000DM001 | 2 x ST2000DM001 | CM 690 III