Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X99 Gaming 5. Can't boot from DVD. Can't install Windows 8.1

Xenon

GA-X99 Gaming 5. Can't boot from DVD. Can't install Windows 8.1
« on: October 02, 2014, 11:19:55 am »
Fresh build. Trying a clean install of windows 8.1 from store-purchased DVD onto a Samsung EVO ssd. I have a Pioneer BDC207 blu-ray drive.

My problem is I can't always get it to boot from the DVD drive. Sometimes in the BIOS it will list the DVD drive as "UEFI: Pioneer BDC207" with another avilible drive as "P0: Pioneer BDC207" as well as my Samsung EVO. Sometimes the UEFI version is listed and sometimes it isn't. Even if I havn't changed anything in BIOS. It will not boot if the boot device is the "PO:" version. It will boot from the "UEFI:" version but sometimes that one doesn't show up in the BIOS or the boot selection screen.

If I boot from the "P0:" version, it will give me a message saying "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key" pressing a key just makes the message reappear.

If I boot with the "EUFI:" version of the DVD drive, it will start up the Windows 8 install process but whenI select begin install I get an error message saying that no device drivers are found.

Hope this makes sense.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-X99 Gaming 5. Can't boot from DVD. Can't install Windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 08:45:16 pm »
It is your DVD drive that is causing the problem. You can do two things 1. try another drive or 2. set it up with a boot-able USB drive with windows on it.  But it is your DVD drive that is the problem.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Xenon

Re: GA-X99 Gaming 5. Can't boot from DVD. Can't install Windows 8.1
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 12:58:05 am »
Thanks for your response dmd.

I managed to boot with the EUFI option and I put in an older windows 8.0 DVD I had. It seems to be installing so far.