Official GIGABYTE Forum

H97N-WIFI Window mode bios

mochi

H97N-WIFI Window mode bios
« on: October 02, 2014, 06:59:08 pm »
Hi,

I've just bought one of these board and I'm pretty happy with it so far, but there's one thing that is printed in the manual and I haven't been able to use, that's the Window mode bios; I've tried pressing F2 and other keys but the only bios that seems to be present is the Classic mode one; the bios that I'm currently using is the one that the board came with (F3), since the changes in the F4 revisión didn't affect me (I don't have a K CPU). Is that right or am I missing something?.

And another doubt; I want to undervolt the CPU a little, just by -0.05 or -0.10 volts, but in the MIT menu it forces to set an initial voltage value, Is that right or there's some workaround, since with other boards it's posible to just set a negative offset without touching anything else.

And a final question; does the bios on this board reset to default after a number of unsucessful boot attemps? (for example an overclocking failure or some other wrong setting), this is important for me because I have the board mounted in a very small enclosure that is quite difficult to assemble and the cmos reset pins are inaccesible (I would have to disassemble everything to be able to do it).

Thanks.

autotech

Re: H97N-WIFI Window mode bios
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 01:23:26 am »
In your bios there is a setting letting you chose between UEFI or classic or both. When you have it set to both the UEFI comes up first then by hitting F2 you go into classic mode.

Has a back up bios chip so if regular bios fails to load it will load from back up bios chip.

GIGABYTE 9 series Ultra Durable™ motherboards feature GIGABYTE DualBIOS™, an exclusive technology from GIGABYTE that protects arguably one of your PC’s most crucial components, the BIOS. GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ means that your motherboard has both a ‘Main BIOS’ and a ‘Backup BIOS’, making users protected from BIOS failure due to virus attack, hardware malfunction, improper OC settings or power failure during the update process
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 01:24:40 am by autotech »
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

mochi

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 06:18:53 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I've read the manual again and it seems that the H97N bios has been artificially stripped down of the "Smart Tweak" bios, while the Z97N has not, It's a pity because other manufacturers include similar bioses with their not so high end models.

The main reason because I wanted to use it is because I want better fan control, the classic bios only has silent and normal fan modes.

The other caveat that I see is that I can't just set a negative offset cpu voltaje without setting manually a value first, something that even cheaper boards can do.

Let's see if they improve the bios (unlock the features) in future revisions.

mochi

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 12:59:12 pm »
Regarding undervolting I've tried and it works fine, just using the voltage that's suggested by auto in the bios and using a negative offset works, the CPU ajusts the voltage accordingly when downclocking.

Reading the manual again it seems that there are no new features in the "Smart Tweak" bios vs the "Classic mode" one, so no fan profiles either, maybe using speedfan is the solution. Anyway silent mode seems to work ok for my needs so case closed.

The last doubt that I have is if some incorrect values are set (for example memory timings), the board tries to boot and then offers to restore default values instead of having to reset CMOS. I don't want to try my luck pushing the memory timings to its limits because I don't want to dismantle the whole system just to reset the CMOS values.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 01:02:04 pm by mochi »