Official GIGABYTE Forum

SLI WRONG ORDER

SLI WRONG ORDER
« on: October 30, 2014, 12:59:33 pm »
Hi,
I recently purchased a Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT. It works great except for an issue regarding vga detection order in sli on windows7.

When I install my two Gigabyte GTX780 in sli configuration, populating the 1st and 3rd slots (as it is recommended in the mb manual), windows detects 1st slot gpu as VGA2, and 3rd slot gpu as the VGA1. Wich for me, its wierd.

They work perfectly fine, though this is the first time i've encountered this wierd behavior in sli configurations, and I think is something motherboard related, should it be?

Also i've noticed that GPU-Z detects them in the correct order, reporting GPU1 as the one in the 1st slot, and GPU2 as the one in the 3rd slot. (I know this because they have different revision numbers, as they where purchased in different moments, one is A1 rev. and the other is B1 rev.)

Is there anyway i can fix this?? Can i force windows to detect 1st slot gpu as the vga1?  :-\

Re: SLI WRONG ORDER
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 11:04:19 am »
No one??

Lubna

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 11:50:56 pm »
Happens to me as well but it works correctly

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 12:50:07 pm »
yes, it seems to be something Gigabyte has implemented since z86 motherboards. I've googled it, and I've been unable to find real Gigabyte support answers to this topic, but, I've found other topics, of people arguing about the same behavior in their z86, z97 and x99 motherboards.

I've open a ticket on Gigabyte Technical Support, asking them if this is the expected behavior, and they have scaled the question to a technician level, since they only know this "if it works, then its fine", and I would appreciate a proper answer about this.

Lately I've been thinking about this, and discussing it with some friends, and we got to the point, that, It can make sense what gigabyte has done here, to have the bottom gpu's detected has the primary, because, "usually" the primary gpu is the most used, hence, it seems reasonable that, the most used gpu, should be located at the bottom of your case, where fresh air is found, and so, it will be the most cooled gpu, and will have more space left for boost.

It also make's sense, that, Phyxs is now working by default on my 1st gpu (the bottom one) so, I think this something gigabyte / nvidia has intented to do. (On my previous pc, with an asus x58 motherboard, the bottom gpu was detected as GPU2, and physx was by default set to this card)

What do you think?