Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev2.0 / F6) no BIOS Access

GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev2.0 / F6) no BIOS Access
« on: November 13, 2014, 11:35:51 pm »
Hello,

I have axectly the same issue which was posted here: GA890XA-UD3/ access BIOS setup.

It is pretty weird.
I have a GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev2.0) with BIOS F6 (newest) and a Phenom II x4 965 on it.
Old RAM was 2x2GB Kingston HyperX 1800MHz CL9.
New RAM is 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz CL10.

I mounted the new ones to bank ddr3_3 and ddr3_4 how it is written to the manual. Did a clear CMOS and PC was starting up. POST recognizes 16GB RAM as OK.
Grub shows up and I am able to boot into Windows and Linux as well.
The auto-settings for the RAM were not really comfortable so I tried to access BIOS to change settings manually.

But there is no way to access BIOS setup! POST screen comes up, hitting del and the screen says "prepare to enter setup".
After that there is only the black screen with cursor blinking above. Like it tries to boot up a corrupted partition.

I have run memtest from grub and the windows memorytest and both were successfull without errors!
Even other Keyboards or hold down several keys at boot time to cause a BIOS error, skipping into it loading defaults, had no success.
Also I tried to load default BIOS from backup EPROM .. same effect.

I am starting this Topic here, because the other one is closed without a solution and i was not able to find any about it on the www.

Maybe there is flying a solution or trick around i do not know already.

Only thing in my mind at this point is flashing an older BIOS version.

Appreciate any hints.

AgentFXA

• none
Re: GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev2.0 / F6) no BIOS Access
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 07:35:59 am »
This new PnP ram (Fury) apparently works when you have an EFI bios board (Gigabyte from rev3 on) but seem to be troublesome on older bios boards.

X570 Aorus Elite Wifi / Ryzen 2700x / Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900 XT Gaming OC 20G Graphics Card / 16 GB HyperX Predator 3200 / SeaSonic 850W / Tt View 71 TG / Win10x64