Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-F2A88X-D3H beeps code when booting?

GA-F2A88X-D3H beeps code when booting?
« on: October 16, 2014, 04:07:12 pm »
Hi, i recently bought a new system with a GA-F2A88X-D3H motherboard.
This board, from the gigabytes web site, has a Use of licensed AMI EFI BIOS "http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4714#sp".

My question is : When starting the computer there is 2 beeps, (1 beep, very long pause, 1 beep). I searched for some answer and i found a possible memory error? But my system is working great. Is there a diffrent meaning of beeps with a EFI BIOS? Because i never heard such a long pause between 2 beeps.

JGB123

• Stability is the keystone of true performance.
Re: GA-F2A88X-D3H beeps code when booting?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 08:10:52 am »
What I would try is a process of elimination:

- Shut the machine down
- Unplug the AC cable to the power supply
- Remove the CMOS battery
- Press the power button on the PC's case
- Remove all of the DIMMS (take precautions against damaging the DIMMs via a static electric discharge)
- Reinstall one DIMM (consult the users manual for which slot to use)
- Replace the CMOS battery and plug in the AC cable
- Boot into the BIOS/UEFI and select 'Load Fail-Safe Defaults' (or anything with similar wording)
- Reboot and see if there are any more error beeps.
- If there are no beeps then shut the machine down, unplug the AC, wait a few minutes and then install another DIMM and reboot etc.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
http://www.memtest.org/

These lists are likely to be out-of-date but may supply some clues:

Computer POST and beep codes
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Post beep codes | AMI, Phoenix & Award BIOS error codes
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/post-beep-codes.htm

Just to clarify:

"GIGABYTE UEFI DualBIOS™"

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket FM2+ - GA-F2A88X-D3H (rev. 3.0)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4714#ov
Search. Discovery is curiosity's reward.

linuxmint-17.3-mate-64bit, 4.2.0-42-lowlatency | GA-990XA-UD3 rev. 1.x, both BIOS chips @ ver. F14d | 1100T, D3 | 4 x KVR16E11S8/4 (1333, 9-9-9-24) | GT640-DCSL-2GD3 | 1920x1080 HDMI TV | HCG-620 | DRW-24F1ST | 1 x ST3000DM001 | 2 x ST2000DM001 | CM 690 III

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:42:50 pm »
thanks,
but i did some tests and nothing came up.
The worst part is sometimes i got only one beep and sometimes two.
I dont know what to think of.
Finally, even when i boot the system and got 2 beeps, the system is working fine.

Anyone have a clue?
thanks

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 09:42:26 pm »
USB devices maybe ?
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 01:44:54 pm »
Hi, i recently bought a new system with a GA-F2A88X-D3H motherboard.

My question is : When starting the computer there is 2 beeps, (1 beep, very long pause, 1 beep). I searched for some answer and i found a possible memory error? But my system is working great. Is there a diffrent meaning of beeps with a EFI BIOS? Because i never heard such a long pause between 2 beeps.

I was in the same situation.  Been building my own PCs for 25 years, and this is the first I've come across that has the dual beeps during POST.  To anyone watching the thread, it's not the 2 short beeps you get with bad RAM, it is as the OP described - press power button and screen stays dark, 5 seconds later 1 regular beep, screen still dark, a long pause (around another 5 seconds) with nothing on the screen, and then another regular beep at which point the regular logo or AMI BIOS image will appear.  To cut a long story short, this looks to be completely normal behaviour, and seems to be caused by the PC coming out of an ultra-low power state, such as S5 (shutdown with ErP enabled) or when turning the PSU on.

This can easily be reproduced with this motherboard.  Just turn the PSU off, flush the mobo power by pressing the chassis power button a couple of times, then turn the PSU back on and try to start the computer.  Guaranteed to get the dual beep behaviour.  Similarly, if I have ErP enabled in the BIOS and just do a regular Windows shutdown (which I assume puts it into S5 with ultra-low power consumption), when turning the PC back on I'll get the dual beeps also.  In my mind this seems to be something like the first beep is "waking up" from the ultra-low power state, and then the PC begins booting as normal and the second beep is the typical POST successful beep.

ErP seems to be a bit of a nightmare if you have a lot of USB devices in this instance, as it can cause the computer to completely not get past the first beep stage (where nothing is on the screen), or to take a very long time doing so and have some USB devices not recognised properly.  My particular setup was 2x 4-port USB2.0 hubs, 2x 4-port USB3.0 hubs, plus 4 other devices plugged in directly.  If I have ErP enabled, having the heaviest drawing device connected at boot (external USB2.0 DVD burner), it takes about 12 seconds to get through the "first beep" stage and the device is not recognised by the BIOS and Windows will report a USB Device Unknown error -- unplugging it and immediately plugging it back in lets it work, however.  Similarly, if I have both my USB3.0 hubs plugged into the PC with ErP enabled, the PC won't boot at all (turns on but never gets past the "first beep" stage).  With ErP disabled, everything works fine.

Other symptoms of having ErP enabled is that I have to hold down the chassis power button for just under a second, as opposed to being an instant "flick" on, in order to make it turn on.  With ErP disabled it reverts to being an instant "flick" on, and also there is only one regular POST beep in every situation except the PSU-off scenario, which does the dual beeps but quite quickly together (about 2 seconds).

Hopefully this clears it up.  If your PC boots fine and your USB devices are all working properly, you can leave ErP enabled and ignore the fact that it does the dual-beep startup process.  As I said, this is a new thing to me, but I typically don't enable the PC speaker on cases anymore so maybe this came onto motherboards a long time ago and I simply haven't noticed :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 01:50:31 pm by ElTorqiro »