Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-970A-DS3P No boot device found

GA-970A-DS3P No boot device found
« on: November 21, 2014, 05:22:05 pm »
 Hi guys, first post and forgive me for being a total newbie to this. I have only once built a pc from scratch(this being my second attempt) The first one went great with no hitches. This one is a fresh install, or will be shortly I hope of Windows 8.1

I decided that an upgrade was well overdue and plumped for the 970A-DS3P MB I am using te AMD FX6300 3.5ghz processor, two sticks of crucial ballistix 1600mhz 8GB memory and a Saphire Radeon R9 270X graphics card.
 I already had a good quality 570w PSU and have added a new optical drive, basic Liteon 24x Sata DVD unit. The only thing I have reused other than the PSU is a recently bought(last 12 months recent) WD 500GB HDD which is Sata, (not sure of version)

Upon power up I get the Gigabyte screen then a window appears telling me that 'No bootable device detected' I can then get into the BIOS settings no problems but can't find anything that would help me in there.Tried my older Sata cables, as opposed to the black ones that came with the MB, still the same.

Also I can not get the DVD unit to eject but have proved the power to the cable supplying it by trying another one that is powering the graphics card (maybe a dud??)

Is my problem that my HDD is the wrong Sata type or am I missing something else.

Hope I have given enough info there.

Many thanks in anticipation

Rich

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-970A-DS3P No boot device found
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 11:43:51 pm »
Under the BIOS Features what it tell for the boot option 1 and 2. Plus look in the Hard Drive BBS Priorities and see what it says.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Tiger

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 01:32:09 am »
Windows 8 has secure boot technology. You should be familiar with the difference between Windows 7 and 8 BIOS settings, (Secure boot, fast boot, CSM Compatiblity Support Module, UEFI, legacy).

The manual for mobo revision 2 states:
OS Type
Allows you to select the operating system to be installed. Set this item to Windows 8 for Windows 8
operating system. (Default: Other OS)
This is the wrong default setting for you.

CSM Support
Enables or disables UEFI CSM (Compatibility Support Module) to support a legacy PC boot process.
Always Enables UEFI CSM. (Default)
Never Disables UEFI CSM and supports UEFI BIOS boot process only.
This item is configurable only when OS Type is set to Windows 8 or Windows 8 WHQL

Video card info: (Your video card probably has this and is set in the wrong position for Windows 8)
Dual BIOS ( Legacy and UEFI ) Support

This product supports both Legacy and UEFI BIOS. By factory default, the card itself is under Legacy mode.
By pressing the button with SAPPHIRE logo, UEFI mode will be easily enabled.

CSM Support in the motherboard BIOS is really for Windows 7 or video cards that don't have UEFI support. However the choice is yours.

If using UEFI for Windows 8 I would set CSM to [Never].

Never Disables UEFI CSM and supports UEFI BIOS boot process only.
This item is configurable only when OS Type is set to Windows 8 or Windows 8 WHQL

You have a 500GB drive.
#1 to use UEFI you will be using GPT format. I think Windows 8 will set up the partitions for you.
#2 to use legacy, that will use the old MBR format.
1) GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, G3258,
2) GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1, FX-8350
3) GA-AM1M-S2P, Sempron 3850 Kabini

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 08:59:45 am »
Thanks fr the replies guys. I think I covered most of the suggestions but will try again shortly. ;)

Rich

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 10:06:24 am »
Right I have gone through everything suggested Tiger.

As I stated originally I have a blank fresh formatted HDD. Tried several if not all of the SATA ports on the board.

I have set the OS to Windows 8 mode

As suggested I have turned the CSM to Never

The video card has the little blue logo button pressed to enable UEFI

I have also set the Other PCI Device ROM priority to UEFI OpROM  and not Legacy ( actually tried it in both settings)

I still get a 'No Bootable Device Found' message.

I am beginning to wonder wether the SATA inputs on the mobo are shot ?? I have power to the cables supplying both HDD and Optical drive but they do not seem to work, ie. no spinning of the HDD and I cannot even open the DVD drive.

Rich

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 11:59:39 am »
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Looks like I have it sorted  :)

I checked the stuff on my old setup but still had  no joy with the bootable device issue. I found a dicky power connector feeding the HDD and Optical drive. Replaced and sorted. SOOOOOO releived that I didn't have a faulty mobo or anything else as sinister. I must have disturbed the cable when I unplugged the old kit.

Thanks for the help guys ;)

Rich