Official GIGABYTE Forum

USB not in boot priorities

USB not in boot priorities
« on: December 11, 2014, 02:25:17 am »
I have a FreeNAS setup working quite well on this motherboard, just one question. Per FreeNAS' recommendations, my os is on a USB flash drive. There are no other bootable devices in the system. When I start the machine, by default it attempts to boot from one of the RAID drives, which doesn't work. If I hit F12 when available, the USB drive is listed among the options and it boots in just fine.

Here's where it gets frustrating. In the setup page, BIOS Features --> Boot Option Priorities only lists the first RAID drive (there are 5), doesn't list the USB. But Save & Exit --> Boot Override does list the usb drive.

This is intended to be an input-device-free system, so it would be nice to have it boot without having to plug in a keyboard and monitor every time to select the boot drive. Anybody know how to get the USB to show up as an option? I'd like to stress that this is not a case where it won't boot from the usb drive; just that it doesn't show up as an option in boot priorities.

Additional details:
I have tried Peripherals --> USB Storage Devices options for the VerbatimSTORE N GO:
  • Auto and Hard Disk: "No bootable device is detected. System will enter the BIOS Setup Utility."
  • Floppy: Tries to boot from the usb and hangs (displays the first few lines you'd expect to see on FreeNAS boot)
  • Forced FDD: Same as floppy, although the trailing character is _ rather than #
  • CD-ROM: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

The system does not boot at all if I plug the usb flash drive into one of the blue usb3 ports, only the usb2 ports. My next step will be to attempt a different (usb2) flash drive.

System info:
  • Mobo: GA-F2A88X-UP4
  • CPU: AMD A8 6600K
  • RAM: Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600
  • GFX: (none)
  • BIOS: UEFI DualBIOS version F4
  • USB flash drive: VerbatimSTORE N GO 1100 (8gb usb3.0, plugged into a usb2 slot because it doesn't work at all if I plug it into usb3)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 02:32:15 am by goldstep »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: USB not in boot priorities
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 03:08:09 am »
Go to BIOS Features:

Look in these two areas your USB drive should show up in one of those areas. Just move it to the top of the list then it will show up in the first boot option. Plus USB 3 will not run on startup.

Hard Drive/BBS Priorities
CD/DVD ROM Drive/BBS Priorities
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 03:09:15 am by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.