Official GIGABYTE Forum

New build not posting

New build not posting
« on: January 31, 2015, 11:14:41 pm »
Hi all, im new to gigabyte forums - such a nice place it seems, however I have an issue with a build im doing for a friend which consists of all new parts.

GA 78LMT-USB3
FX 8350 BE
G550M psu
and Kingston ValueRam 16 GB 1,333 MHz DDR3 Non ECC

Anyway, it powers up - no beep on post, no post is shown. I have tried 1 stick of ram in each of the 4 bays, cpu fan spins, HDD spins up, but nothing. Ive disconnected all usb headers, and sata cables for dvd and hdd in hope of getting to bios to see whats up. but it wont go that far. have tried the speaker plug both ways round.. no beeps.

The board supports the cpu. The one thing that i think might be the problem is the ram... bought from amazon, in the advert it clearly states non ECC, yet reading through it states ,

"Product Description
Kingston ValueRAM Memory

Contrary to popular belief, server memory is not created equal...."

I cant use my ram as its sat under a nh-d14 , next to a gtx 780 all inside a prodigy m.... not a lot of room so testing mine is out the question. Any ideas please??

Re: New build not posting
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 08:25:16 pm »
Just tried a friends g.skill ripjawz x - still no post /beep . I'm going to rma the board and cpu . Perhaps even the ram as I'm not sure if it's ecc or not .

autotech

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 01:55:57 am »
It could be the board. The first thing bios checks is the CPU. with just CPU and 1 stick of ram it should at least post to bios.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 10:07:59 pm »
Many thanks for that, I googled the ram and it is non ECC, when the mouse was connected to the board, the red light under my mouse would light for a split second then turn off. I had an instruction off gigabyte to remove and rebuild out the case with bare essentials - and still no post, no beeps...nothing.

Its going to be "checked for a 2nd opinion" i mean ive done exactly as they said, im not sure what else theyre going to gain by getting a 2nd opinion!!!!! but i think theyre just checking its the board they sent me and not some duffer off the street! how long should an rma take as they told me to get back in touch with the seller (after the seller told me they couldnt help and to contact gigabyte)

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 08:24:44 am »
Update. The ram is ruled out as I've had it in mine running fine.

Replacement board arrived, all built up - same fault - cpu fan ,case fan and gpu fans spin and that's it. No beeps. I'm gonna RMA the cpu . Cpu is on the board list , it's a 550w cooler master psu ( but as I also have a cooler master Psu , I'll try mine in his to rule it out .)

Can anybody think of anything I may have missed ?? I've made sure cpu plugs are secure and motherboard 24pin is secure , pulled out all Unneccesary cables so it's a basic skeleton build too

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 01:40:25 pm »
Did you try a different video card? What version board are you running. It could be that the bios isn't up to date to support that CPU. The thing is that the Pci-e slots is 2.0 and the card is 3.0.

Yes the AMD boards are different from the Intel and most do run the newer cards.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 07:37:20 pm »
Did you try a different video card? What version board are you running. It could be that the bios isn't up to date to support that CPU. The thing is that the Pci-e slots is 2.0 and the card is 3.0.

Yes the AMD boards are different from the Intel and most do run the newer cards.
Would the PCI-e slot make a difference ? I thought it would only run at x2.0 speed though ? No haven't tried another card - the only other card is mine and that's a 6gb gtx 780.

I've tried onboard hdmi output anyway .ill check on the version some time on Monday . But if it is a bios issue , http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4305 all say the same bios version f3. On Intel boards they allow you to get to bios to update even if a non supported cpu is installed . I'll have a look anyway . Thanks for your reply

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 08:14:43 am »
its a rev 6.0 board and it was ready for the fx-8350 from launch with bios f1 .