Official GIGABYTE Forum

SATA BIOS Settings "Hot Plug" vs "External SATA"

Oubadah

SATA BIOS Settings "Hot Plug" vs "External SATA"
« on: February 09, 2015, 10:38:18 am »
I thought "hot plug" would enable eject/safe removal of the drive, but it's actually "external SATA" that does that. So what does enabling "hot plug" actually do? I thought AHCI already supported hot plugging natively.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:38:49 am by Oubadah »

autotech

Re: SATA BIOS Settings "Hot Plug" vs "External SATA"
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 01:51:25 pm »
Does your case have a hot Plug bay. What its main use is for is like me I have a hot plug ssd I carry my operating system on and when I am at work or another station I can use that ssd and boot from it without taking that case apart.

External sata usually takes a power adapter outside of case to use and a lot of time windows wont install to a internal sata. Since I use hot swap I haven't tried external sata for a few years.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

Re: SATA BIOS Settings "Hot Plug" vs "External SATA"
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 11:38:05 am »
As far as I know, "hot plug" means that if the drive/cables/bios are all capable of "hot plug" then the following should happen.

If the sata cable has a "hot plug" connector (slightly shorter connections on some of the pins) then the drive should perform a clean shut down. (clear the cache by writing the data to the drive, then powering down)

The PC should report to the OS that a drive has been removed. (without hot plug it might send; drive failed, link failed, or might not report anything and will leave it up to the OS to "do something" if/when it next tries to access the disk.)

The OS (or raid card) should then handle the "drive removed" in the best possible way. (without hot plug it might try; resetting the drive, resetting the link, or it might keep retrying the drive to see if it will come back up.)

Its down to the OS to decide if/how it presents "eject/safe remove." The default standard is to have such an option for non-directly connected drives (esata/usb/etc.)  and no such option for direct connected drives as its assumed they won't be "pulled" unless they have failed (sata/scsi/sas/raid card).

I have seen third party software on non intel servers where it was possible to "eject" an "internal" hard drive where the physical drives were in hot swap caddies prior to pulling them, but the assumption is if its "internal" then you really should shut down before rooting about and pulling drives as its all to easy to pull the wrong one or knock a loose cable.