Official GIGABYTE Forum

P35X/P37X w/ GTX 980m - Memory clock lowered at Fan Speed: Stealth

Hello all,

Apologies if this is entirely obvious, however I have just spent a week diagnosing why the GPU in my P37X has been acting weird and underpowered.

using nvidia inspector to track the GPU, when I run a FurMark stress test on the laptop (and at every other time) my memory clock was showing at 810mhz, instead of the 2506mhz that it should be showing.. and my furmark FPS was at 35, instead of the 90+ it should be showing.

after updating drivers, yadda yadda (I actually have another separate "nvidia driver has stopped responding" issue that i'm working through) - I've finally locked this weird behaviour down to the Fan Speed setting in the Gigabyte Smart Manager!

When you set Fan Speed to Silent, the GPU lowers it's memory clocks down to 810mhz, I can only assume this is an intended behaviour to keep the memory temperatures down whilst the fan is in silent mode.

If you set the Fan Speed to Auto - Low Speed (or any higher speeed), the memory clocks go straight back up to 2506mhz, and the card works as intended!

Just thought I'd put this out there because I couldn't find anything on google that explained this weird behaviour, and It wasn't documented anywhere in the software or the laptop manual (at least I haven't seen it documented anywhere)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:38:26 am by Drazek Ironwing »