Official GIGABYTE Forum

P37X - GTX 980m - nVidia driver has stopped responding + stuttering!!

This is going to drive me nuts soon.

I have all the latest drivers installed on my laptop from the gigabyte website and the latest nvidia driver from nvidia.

I have 2 problems:

Firstly - Every time I load a program that initializes the nvidia gpu, my laptop instantly gives me the "nvidia driver has stopped responding and has recovered" message. - it takes me 3 or 4 tries to get the program to finally load without the drivers crashing.

Secondly - I've only noticed this in SMITE so far but it's really annoying, my game will 'stutter' for half a second whilst playing.. usually right in the middle of the action or when I pull off a skill, the game will stutter and it'll throw off my aim and is really frustrating :/

I don't know if these 2 problems are separate problems or are related, however I would REALLY like to get the driver crashing issue resolved!!

Any suggestions?

Re: P37X - GTX 980m - nVidia driver has stopped responding + stuttering!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 10:20:11 am »
Okay I've made some progress!

I found the culprit of all my GTX 980m Stuttering issues, it's the Gigabyte Smart Manager software!

if I uninstall this software, the laptop runs smooth like butter, no stuttering in SMITE at all, perfect gaming.
BUT - without this software I have no sound!? no sound at all, the sound drivers are installed, the realtek drivers are installed, but still, no sound.

This makes no sense to me, but at least I now know it's something to do with the Smart Manager that's causing these issues, so I've narrowed down where I have to search for a fix.

The task at hand now, is to get the laptop working well, -with- the Smart Manager software installed, (besides sound, it also controls the keyboard backlight, fan profile and some other core laptop functions).

Hopefully Gigabyte support can give me a hand? - we'll see.

Strange how these forums seem to be devoid of all life.. - alas I hope this posts appears in a google search!

Kuni

Re: P37X - GTX 980m - nVidia driver has stopped responding + stuttering!!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 11:12:22 pm »
Have you had this issue since purchasing the laptop or did it develop afterwards?

I am considering a purchase myself :)

It's certainly a pity that no one from Gigabyte seems to be paying attention to this!