Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK - Machine won't turn on, need help please.

Hi all, new to the board and looking for some help, hope this is the right category to post this in.

Many BSOD and numerous forced shut offs after error message stated that it was collecting info and then would shut off but wouldn't. According to the error reports they were caused by my Wacom Pad and my Vcadd program. Not sure why.

The last time with the BSOD I forced it down and now it will not restart.
I thought for sure it was the PSU and purchased another but it was not. following installing the new and no results I tried the original in my old rig and it powered up without issue.

When turning on the PSU I get a half second flicker of light at the red start button on the Motherboard, that's it, nothing else. Usually with the PSU on this red start button remains lit.

I have taken out the graphics card to eliminate that possibility.

I built this machine and other than he BSOD it has worked flawlesly for the last months. The Motherboard has not been removed and no possibility of anything hitting or having changed.

So, now, not sure what is next, CPU or Motherboard. If one or the other I do not now how to determine which?

Motherboard   Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK
Processor   Intel i7-4790K
Memory   Corsair Dom Plat 2x(2x8) 32GB 2133
Video Card #1   EVGA GeForce 780Ti Dual Classified
Hard Drive #1   Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
Hard Drive #2   Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB
Hard Drive #3   WD Blue 1 TB
Hard Drive #4   WD Blue 1 TB
Optical Drive #1   LG WH16NS40
Case   Corsair Graphite Archtic White 760T
Cooler   Corsair Hydro H105
Keyboard   Corsair Vengeance K70
Mouse   Logitech G700s
Power Supply   Corsair HX850
Monitor   ASUS 27" / LG 23"
Operating System   Windows 8.1

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
One thing I would try is pull the battery and jump out the cmos for a few hours or more. Then put everything back and then give it a try.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Thanks for your reply, I'll give that a try.

Tiger

Corsair Dom Plat 2x(2x8) 32GB 2133

Here is what Corsair and G.Skill say in FAQs about combining multiple memory kits:
Corsair:
 Which Corsair Memory modules will work with my existing modules?

We strongly recommend matching the module part number as closely as possible in order to ensure the greatest chance of compatibility. Even if you match part numbers properly, we can't make guarantees as to their performance as the modules weren't tested together.  Also be aware that when using two kits of memory together, you may need to reduce the speed of the memory due to motherboard chipset limitations.

G.Skill:
Q:
 I want to install more memory, in addition to my existing memory kit. What are my options?
A:
 We do not recommend mixing memory kits, regardless of brand or model.

By mixing memory kits together, there may be compatibility issues such as unable to boot or unable to operate at rated specifications.

Each of our memory kit are thoroughly tested to ensure compatibility within each memory kit. And because we have not tested our memory kit with your existing memory kit, we cannot guarantee compatibility when multiple kits are used.

1) GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, G3258,
2) GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1, FX-8350
3) GA-AM1M-S2P, Sempron 3850 Kabini

All 4 memory sticks are the same and there was no previous issues prior to this forced shut down or after the previous forced shutdowns.
I have also tried removing two of the memory sticks and also switching them around. I think this board requires that two are always installed but I could be wrong and that would give me more options of trying the different sticks in different slots.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
All 4 memory sticks are the same and there was no previous issues prior to this forced shut down or after the previous forced shutdowns.

I have to agree, plus I have been doing this for over 20 yrs on adding memory to what memory I already have in a machine. Yes you don't want to add different brands, different speeds & timings.

But I have never ever had any issues adding the same brand, part #, speed & timings to what I already have.  At one time you didn't have kits to buy. You bought what was out there and match speed and timings.   
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

billymario

When turning on the PSU I get a half second flicker of light at the red start button on the Motherboard, that's it, nothing else. Usually with the PSU on this red start button remains lit.

I got the same problem!
Any idea on how to fix it?

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
billymario,
You have the same board and problem? 

If not, you should really start a new thread so your issue gets the appropriate attention and correct feedback.

It would also be helpful to include your hardware config (board and BIOS rev) and any troubleshooting steps you've performed.   
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 01:04:38 am by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
RamCastle.
dmdilks advice is best.  Hopefully the batt pull will resolve your issue.

The fact that you haven't made any changes, added hardware, memory, flashed BIOS, etc makes it appear as a hardware failure. 

The absence of a continuous onboard power button light with a new PSU properly connected, 20+4 Pin and Aux CPU power is not a good sign.  I do not believe you need a CPU or DIMMs installed to get a continuous power button lit, so if you can't get this on with power, I'd start thinking about RMA or my next board.  If you have new details let us know.  Good luck with it.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

Did you ever get this fixed? And did it ever happen again?

Hi all, new to the board and looking for some help, hope this is the right category to post this in.

Many BSOD and numerous forced shut offs after error message stated that it was collecting info and then would shut off but wouldn't. According to the error reports they were caused by my Wacom Pad and my Vcadd program. Not sure why.

The last time with the BSOD I forced it down and now it will not restart.
I thought for sure it was the PSU and purchased another but it was not. following installing the new and no results I tried the original in my old rig and it powered up without issue.

I have taken out the graphics card to eliminate that possibility.

I built this machine and other than he BSOD it has worked flawlesly for the last months. The Motherboard has not been removed and no possibility of anything hitting or having changed.

So, now, not sure what is next, CPU or Motherboard. If one or the other I do not now how to determine which?

Motherboard   Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK
Processor   Intel i7-4790K
Memory   Corsair Dom Plat 2x(2x8) 32GB 2133
Video Card #1   EVGA GeForce 780Ti Dual Classified
Hard Drive #1   Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
Hard Drive #2   Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB
Hard Drive #3   WD Blue 1 TB
Hard Drive #4   WD Blue 1 TB
Optical Drive #1   LG WH16NS40
Case   Corsair Graphite Archtic White 760T
Cooler   Corsair Hydro H105
Keyboard   Corsair Vengeance K70
Mouse   Logitech G700s
Power Supply   Corsair HX850
Monitor   ASUS 27" / LG 23"
Operating System   Windows 8.1

compuman

I had the same problem with my motherboard. Would not power on, with only a brief flash of light on the PW_SW button on the motherboard. Here is a solution. Warning: The CMOS settings will have to be re-done as they will be wiped out with this process. Disconnect the AC Power cord from the power supply, or it there is a switch on the power supply, then turn it to the off position. Remove the backup battery, and wait a bit. 30 seconds or so should do the trick. Re-insert the battery. Plug in the power cord, or turn the power supply switch back on. Press power on. Boot into CMOS to re-do the settings. If you still have no luck, replace the backup battery and try the above steps again.

I am not sure what causes this, or why the battery has to be removed to fix the problem. Resetting the CMOS does not do the trick. This is my second motherboard this has happened on. The first time I reported the problem to Gigabyte. They told me to RMA the board.  When it happened on the 2nd board, I knew there was something not quite right. One final comment. This is now the 2nd time this has happened on my 2nd board, and I did not do anything unusual. Just powered off the system, and the next day it would not power on. Weird.

I am having same issue with a customer I have sold a ton of these Z97X-Gaming G1 systems to. In talks with Gigabyte Support with this issue for past 6 months! Keep you posted on what I find out.

I had the same problem with my motherboard. Would not power on, with only a brief flash of light on the PW_SW button on the motherboard. Here is a solution. Warning: The CMOS settings will have to be re-done as they will be wiped out with this process. Disconnect the AC Power cord from the power supply, or it there is a switch on the power supply, then turn it to the off position. Remove the backup battery, and wait a bit. 30 seconds or so should do the trick. Re-insert the battery. Plug in the power cord, or turn the power supply switch back on. Press power on. Boot into CMOS to re-do the settings. If you still have no luck, replace the backup battery and try the above steps again.

I am not sure what causes this, or why the battery has to be removed to fix the problem. Resetting the CMOS does not do the trick. This is my second motherboard this has happened on. The first time I reported the problem to Gigabyte. They told me to RMA the board.  When it happened on the 2nd board, I knew there was something not quite right. One final comment. This is now the 2nd time this has happened on my 2nd board, and I did not do anything unusual. Just powered off the system, and the next day it would not power on. Weird.