Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-990FXA-UD3 - Northbridge overheats

GA-990FXA-UD3 - Northbridge overheats
« on: April 17, 2015, 04:20:35 am »
Motherboard: GA-990FXA-UD3  Rev 1.1

I have had this computer for about two years.  A few months back the cpu fan started making a racket; I ignored it as long as I could, then finally replaced it.

I am now having a problem with the Northbridge overheating while playing online games (SWTOR, WoW, etc).   I downloaded a monitor program and watched it as I loaded the games.   Did this multiple times over the last three days.

The standard temperature while sitting idle or running basic applications (Browsers, Office, etc) is 80.6 F or 28 C.

When I'm running the games, it jumps almost immediately to 150F and continues upward.  When it reaches around 205F, the computer shuts itself off.

If I turn off the game before it reaches 205F, the temperature drops down in a matter of seconds to about 100F, and then eases itself back down to 80-85.

I have added an additional inflow fan to the front, and outflow fan to the top, but this does not fix the issue.  I've also ran it with the case open, and while it does slow the process, the Northbridge will eventually get to 205.   With the case closed, this takes about 10 minutes in game.  With the case open, 15-20 minutes.

No overclocking, the BIOS is updated and set to Optimal.  I have made no changes to the hardware except the CPU fan in nearly a year.

Any ideas on why this suddenly started happening/ how to fix it?  Prior to replacing the noisy cpu fan, I could run the games for 10-15 hours a day without issue.

DigDeep

Re: GA-990FXA-UD3 - Northbridge overheats
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 11:04:05 am »
Any ideas on why this suddenly started happening/ how to fix it?  Prior to replacing the noisy cpu fan, I could run the games for 10-15 hours a day without issue.

well i think this is answer to your question.

Try this, remove the cooler, wipe off thermal paste, reapply new thermal paste(little dot in the middle) and put cooler back on. Make sure the cooler is properly seated.

AMD RYZEN 2600 | GIGABYTE B450M DS3H | XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition
Patriot VIPER 16GB DDR4 3000MHZ | Transcend M.2 PCIe 110S 512 GB
WDC 2 TB WD20EZRZ | Windows 11 Pro x64