Official GIGABYTE Forum

ga-z170x gaming 5 problem with freezing system

TracyS

ga-z170x gaming 5 problem with freezing system
« on: April 07, 2016, 08:28:40 pm »
Since Sunday evening I have been having issues with computer freezing up. It all started when I left it sit running, and it went into sleep mode and when i went to wake it like normal I get both ECO and CO lights lit up and all fans and system appears running, but it will not start up windows. So I have to do a hard reboot, and still having the same.

I removed one of my ram sticks, checked all connections, and feel for extensive heat. No problems there, and try to start my computer again. Still getting the ECO and CO lights on, and no code to tell me if anything is wrong. So I switch out my graphics card for another just to make sure nothing is wrong there, and after that not working I removed battery, and reset bios. Still nothing. I decide to let my computer sit overnight and think about other possible solutions. The next morning my computer boots up, and it tells me my bios has been reset, so I go into bios and start to check things out, and computer freezes yet again. So I try to reboot yet again, and after several days of trying to get things going, I have managed to make it to Windows a few times only to have it freeze up after a few moments. Even tried resetting bios to use optimal settings. I haven't done much tweaking in the bios other than taking the time to set voltage originally on my ram to what the specs call for. I'm no super tech on computer systems, so I tend to not mess around with bios settings too much.

My system:
Ga-Z170X gaming 5 with bios version 5 flashed originally version 2
processor i7-6700k
graphics nividia gforce gtx 970
ram PNY Anarchy 8 gb 1.2 volt dual
power supply Corsair CX850M

I have done no overclocking at least not manually on this system, and it was running fine for the last few weeks. So not sure what the issue seems to be exactly. I was thinking possibly a problem with the power supply, and all parts are brand new, meaning purchased within the last few months. But I know sometimes parts can be bad coming out of the box. And since the manual doesn't really explain much about the ECO and CO buttons other than overclocking, I have no idea why they popped on, and as stated keeping my system from even starting up.

autotech

Re: ga-z170x gaming 5 problem with freezing system
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 01:03:46 am »
Not a lot of help but I have that board and my ECO and CO buttons are always lite and is running as it should. I use 16 gigs of ddr4 at 3200. no overclock on cpu at all. I do notice your ram is not on the QVL and mine is.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 01:06:12 am by autotech »
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

TracyS

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 03:31:50 am »
Thanks for the feedback, at least I know now that those lights being on isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe my ram is the issue, because I did try another power supply, and still having lock up issues in windows. Thought i may have been a power supply issue because when I put in my old card which doesn't need as much juice to run it I could run things for a time. But when I put my new graphics card in I would get a lock up almost immediately.

I have put my bios back into optimized settings, then tweaking things here and there after a lock up. So far I have had no luck, and quite confused at this point. Plus it's odd that both EOC and OC lights would come on and not get any code, and no boot up at all. Btw what ram are you using if you don't mind me asking? I will see about ordering a pair and seeing if that is the issue.

I have also been working back and forth with gigabyte support, so hopefully between the forums here and their help I can get this issue resolved. Thanks again for your feedback.

TFisher

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 05:08:52 pm »
For what its worth I have the same board and am using Corsair ram that was on the QV list. No issues.
I use the XMP profile 1.

Specs in signature.
Asus Z270 Prime A/i7- 6700k / Corsair H110/Samsung 850 Evo SSD 250gig/3x Seagate 1tb Storage/16 gig Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2800/Asus GTX 1070 8GB OC/Corsair AX 760i PSU/Logitech Z-5500 Sound/Win 10 x64 /Corsair 780T Case/48" Sony monitor/