Official GIGABYTE Forum

Memory voltage

Memory voltage
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:03:23 pm »
I don't want to post several questions in one topic.

Motherboard - MA790GPT-UD3H
Ram G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Retail

This ram is 1.5 volts,but it is supposed to work with this board.I am running this with a AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3.I noticed in the bios in the ram it said 333.Does that mean its running at 1333MHz Speed, My ram timings are CAS 9-9-9-24 ,but I'm not sure how to set the timings.Its listed as cas 9-9-9-34 or 9-9-34-9.I'm not on my new build,so I'm trying to remember these bios settings.Ihave not run prime 95 or any other test,but I played GTA for 1 hour and my cpu core temp was 29 degrees,and system board temp 32 degrees. I have a  EVGAGeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16.

The voltage in bios  1.45 volts   
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:06:59 pm by toostrike »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Memory voltage
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:17:15 pm »
Hi toostrike,

By default the memory is downgraded to 1333 Mhz this is due to the memory controller being on the CPU. You have to manually set the timings and voltages to get to the specified ratings.

You might want to check out this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1493.msg6828.html#msg6828 which refers to this.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:24:55 pm »
Thank-You. This is all new ground for me ,but so far it's up and running.I'm glad it posted  :D I really like this board.The bios doesn't seem to complicated,its just a matter of learning how to adjust the settings.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:27:38 pm by toostrike »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:28:54 pm »
Take it slowly,

I would suggest running the rig for a while ( a couple of weeks) before tweaking anything.

I know the memory is running a little slower than what you have paid for but get a feel for how things are and check out stability. There is nothing worse than playing around with settings and not understanding what the changes are doing or what effect they are having.

Good luck
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:43:59 pm by absic115 »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 10:27:23 pm »
Take it slowly,

I would suggest running the rig for a while ( a couple of weeks) before tweaking anything.

I know the memory is running a little slower than what you have paid for but get a feel for how things are and check out stability. There is nothing worse than playing around with settings and not understanding what the changes are doing or what effect they are having.

Good luck

I will take that advice.The drivers that are on the Gigabyte disc are older,but no big deal.I'm using n-light to integrate service pack 3 for xp,and all the sata drivers,updated audio drivers ect...On to an all in one boot disc to load a fresh copy of windows and most of my drivers.I plan on running a dual boot with windows 7.

I'm not going to overclock yet,but will adjust memory timings,to Cas 9-9-9-24,but will let the ram run 1333MHz Speed instead of 1600MHz.After that I will run prime 95,and the memory test.Does that sound basic enough,as far as adjusting settings in the bios for now?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:34:05 pm by toostrike »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 07:12:24 am »
To be honest I think it is best to leave BIOS settings alone initially.

Let the default settings handle everything and see if there are any problems.

Once you know how the rig handles at defaults you can then start tweaking as you have a baseline for stability and speed to go from.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 04:55:17 pm »
Dude. I'm glad I talked with you,and  will hang out here on the forums to gain more knowledge.The only settings I'm touching for now is temps :o and the power button.At least I know there is good support for my board.I even got the cool gigabyte sticker on my rig.It's official!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 04:56:04 pm by toostrike »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 04:59:42 pm »
lol the "Official" Gigabyte sticker hey..... No there's no hiding! :D

And, when you're ready to start pushing your rig you know where to come. :P

Now where's that A**S forum address gone.......????!!!!! ::)