Official GIGABYTE Forum

Help with new PC build

Help with new PC build
« on: May 27, 2015, 01:40:48 am »

I am having trouble getting my new pc to show a picture, when it boots up i get 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps. From what I understand this means that the video card is not seated correctly or missing. But my mortherboard has onboard graphics which i am connected to. how do i get it to switch to using the onboard gpu when i cant see.

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128689
    CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113379

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Help with new PC build
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 05:49:29 am »
What revision is your motherboard?

You can find the information on the box the motherboard came in. It is also printed on the lower left hand corner of the motherboard itself.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 07:18:48 am »
a78/rev.4.0

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 06:24:42 pm »
Have you tried to clear CMOS? I know it's a new board but sometimes that can help.

After you have cleared CMOS and before you try to start again, remove all extra parts except for mouse, keyboard, APU and 1 stick of RAM. Can you now get into BIOS? If you can great, if you can't, can you borrow or do you have a graphic card that you can use instead of the on-board graphics?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 06:52:59 pm »
I cleared the CMOS and no progress. or atleast i think i did. I just use a piece of metal to connect the clear cmos jumpers while its unpluged right.

Im gonna try to get a video card i can use but it wont be for 2 weeks when i get paid :/

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 07:32:06 pm »
OK.
Disconnect the mains power supply to the computer.

Remove the motherboard battery. (Check which way it is seated so you can replace it properly.)

Leave for at least 10 minutes. (Longer is better but shouldn't really be needed.)

Press the power button on the pc case as if you are trying to switch on the computer. This will help discharge any residue current in the capacitors. (This will make sure that CMOS is cleared)

Replace motherboard battery.

Reconnect mains power supply.

Try to start PC.

If you still cannot get any graphics output, post back with your other PC hardware specs., especially the monitor and how you are trying to connect it to the motherboard HDMI DVI etc. The more information you can provide the easier it will be to offer practical advice and help.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 07:46:21 pm »
I did the battery thing already and still no luck
My monitor is connected via VGA cable and i have tried hdmi as well
my monitor works when connected to my laptop so i know thats not the problem

my parts are:

Monitor - Sceptre E20 LED monitor
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H
CPU - AMD athlon x4 860k 3.7Ghz Black edition
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaw series DDR3 1333 2x2G
Power - Corsair cx 500

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 08:13:10 pm »
Oh dear, it would seem, from your description, that this is not going to be easy to sort out for you. The lack of other parts, that you can swap and test with means, in reality, that we have to try and work out where the fault is most likely to be.

One final thing to check would be the pins on the APU. Is it possible that any of them got bent when you installed it? (I have done this before and had a similar problem) Carefully remove the heatsink and the APU and check to see if there is any damage to the socket on the motherboard or the pins on the processor.

If everything looks OK reseat the APU into the socket (it should drop in quite easily if everything's OK) and check that it is sitting properly before locking it into place and reseating the heatsink. Does this solve the problem?

Tiger

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 12:48:28 am »
AMD Athlon X4 860K is a CPU not an APU. Onboard Graphics is available with Integrated Graphics Processor in the AMD A series processors. The Athlon X4 860K is not an A series processor. You would need to be using a PCI express graphics card with that CPU.

AMD Athlon X4 860K is also listed as supporting DDR3-2133 memory out of the box.
1) GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, G3258,
2) GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1, FX-8350
3) GA-AM1M-S2P, Sempron 3850 Kabini

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 05:38:48 am »
AMD Athlon X4 860K is a CPU not an APU. Onboard Graphics is available with Integrated Graphics Processor in the AMD A series processors. The Athlon X4 860K is not an A series processor. You would need to be using a PCI express graphics card with that CPU.

Thanks Tiger, I should have checked that before I started posting!

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 05:51:33 am »
Oh well thanks for the help guys, I was planning on getting a pci express card next week when i get paid anyways.

Im not to familliar with amd as this is my first amd build so i didnt know the diference between the a series and athlon. This was just cheaper

am i going to need to change my ram as well or were you just stating i should have gone with a higher ram. I just got this because it was on sale.

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 05:53:51 am »
Im just glad i dont need to replace the motherboard haha.