Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-970A-UD3P rev 1.0 weird bug/glitch

peperinos99

GA-970A-UD3P rev 1.0 weird bug/glitch
« on: July 28, 2015, 05:20:26 pm »
Hi all guys! I'm here to describe this strange thing that keeps occour with this motherboard.
I'm posting on this section so I have no overclock at all.

Well, the problem is that, if i play for a certain amount of time, and only with certain games, when i exit the game the TMPIN2 sensor remain stucked at previous load temperature. I try to make thing easier to understand with an example:

I'm in Windows, in idle.

TMPIN0= 35°
TMPIN1= 35°
TMPIN2 = 20°

I'm playing the game.

TMPIN0=45°
TMPIN1=45°
TMPIN2=40°

I quit the game, returning in the Idle status.

TMPIN0=35°
TMPIN1=35°
TMPIN2=40°

The TMPIN2 sensor stucks like if the CPU has to run the application but if I only reboot windows the glitch still persist.
But if i shut off and then turn on (also instantly, I don't have to wait time) the PC the TMPIN2 temp will fix itself and return to original status.

The real problem is not the amount of heat generated cause I have a well cooled case and without overclocking the temps are always low, but the fact that if the TMPIN2 sensor remains stuck the fan keeps spinning at the speed like if I'm playing a consistent videogame.

I have no idea on how to fix this.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-970A-UD3P rev 1.0 weird bug/glitch
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:32:58 pm »
When you restart you really are not changing any thing. When you shut down and restart you give it time to cool down till you use it again. But really those temps are OK. By what I'm reading the TMPIN2 is the VRM.

I reading that as long as that temp doesn't get to hotter than the CPU you should be OK. I don't know if you have cool & Quiet. You could try that and see what happens.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

peperinos99

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 08:43:27 am »
How could it can cool down if i shut down the pc for more or less than 1 second? I don't think it's something related to that. If it is something related to heat it must be cool by itself when my PC turns back to idle state.
I gave a look on voltages on "bugged" phase and they are exactly the same as when PC is in normal status, everything is the same apart that TMPIN2 temp that remains stuck as PC is in load even in idle (Core temp returns to idle temps, so there is nothing that runs and keep PC under load)
Another thing, TMPIN2 (when PC is not in "bugged" phase) fluctuates as the same as the Core Temp, so I assume that it's Socket temp or CPU NB temp.
And another thing, it's not even related to how much I push the CPU.
For example, if I play a game that pushes TMPIN2 to 40° it stucks, but if I play another game that pushes it to 45° it doesn't stuck.
It's application related, but I can't get it what does it causes it.
It's just an annoying bug because if it stucks my cpu fan keep spinning like if my CPU is under load even in idle status, because TMPIN2 is related to CPU fan PWM.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 01:02:48 am »
What I should have said is when you shut it down you re-set all your numbers 0 or what ever. That is why the numbers go back to 20c.

You can check this thread out http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=8239.0

The TMPIN2 really has nothing to do with your CPU. Everything I have read it has to do with your north bridge.

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

peperinos99

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 10:00:03 am »
TMPIN2 is NB temp, but the NB built inside the CPU, that's why it rises and fall like the core one, and why the fan keep spinning if it bugs out while core temp readings are normal. If it's not the cpu NB it's on the core, but I'm sure that it's not of the NB of MB. And that's what I say too, when i turn off and on something resets, but it's not an overheat problem, something just bugs out and you need an hard reset to unstuck it. I just ask myself what is.

peperinos99

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 02:29:50 pm »
Whatever... after a lot of testings I found the culprit.
Reverting Video Driver AMD Catalyst 15.7 to 14.12 fixed it.
 ;)

mbk

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 10:29:36 pm »
Hello. Sorry for the post to old topic but couldn't find any other topics about this problem. I had the same problem when AMD Catalyst 15.7 released and your solution helped me (thanks for that by the way). However, 2 months ago, after I bought new graphics card (R9 380X), the problem came back and reverting back to old drivers could not solve the problem this time. Recently I am using AMD crimson 16.1 drivers and I tried last 4 drivers including latest Catalyst driver. My CPU temp stucks during playing games and it stays stucked until I shut off the pc. I even tried clean installation of OS but still no go. Do you still have the same problem with the latest drivers? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 10:31:30 pm by mbk »