Official GIGABYTE Forum

3 X 8pin Power connectors for Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming 5P ?

3 X 8pin Power connectors for Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming 5P ?
« on: August 04, 2015, 04:25:36 pm »
I just purchased a Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming 5P motherboard, and I'll be recycling my old PSU (Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000 1000W 80 PLUS Bronze). I was reading through the manual, and I came across this little blurb...

When you overclock the CPU, make sure to connect one end of the included 1 to 3 power cable to the ATX_12V_2X4 power connector and the other three to the power supply to ensure the system is provided with enough power.

To my knowledge, my PSU only has 2 8pin power connectors. So I guess I have two questions. Is connecting 2 power connections to the 3 to 1 adapter better than just the single 8pin connection? Should I try to do some crazy configuration with adapters to ensure all it's using all 3? Would overclocking be out of the question if I did, in fact, only use 1 8pin connection?

Kevin

Re: 3 X 8pin Power connectors for Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming 5P ?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 04:35:03 pm »
I just purchased a Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming 5P motherboard, and I'll be recycling my old PSU (Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000 1000W 80 PLUS Bronze). I was reading through the manual, and I came across this little blurb...

When you overclock the CPU, make sure to connect one end of the included 1 to 3 power cable to the ATX_12V_2X4 power connector and the other three to the power supply to ensure the system is provided with enough power.

To my knowledge, my PSU only has 2 8pin power connectors. So I guess I have two questions. Is connecting 2 power connections to the 3 to 1 adapter better than just the single 8pin connection? Should I try to do some crazy configuration with adapters to ensure all it's using all 3? Would overclocking be out of the question if I did, in fact, only use 1 8pin connection?
I think they are quoting the strange 3 into 1 plug that comes with the kit.  Perhaps for people without a "modular" power supply.  The second 8 pin (CPU power plug) could power a couple of graphics cards.  But thinking about it, I could be confused as well!!!

I have only one of my 8 pins plugged into the top of my motherboard (Termaltake 1200) and find no great need to plug 2 into 1.  After all these PSU's were created to power 2 xeon chips/server boards which once ran hotter than the current 2011-v3.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 05:07:54 pm by Kevin »

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 05:05:57 pm »
I think they are quoting the strange 3 into 1 plug that comes with the kit.  Perhaps for people without a "modular" power supply.  The second 8 pin (CPU power plug) could power a couple of graphics cards.  But thinking about it, I could be confused as well!!!

Yeah, I think that's where I'm getting a little confused.  What exactly is the 3 into 1 plug for?  If I had to guess, it's to spread the power load across 3 cables instead of a single cable when overclocking.  But I'm wondering what would happen if I overclock and just use a single 8pin connection (ignoring the 3 into 1 plug) or if I just plugged in 2 (and not all 3) and used the plug.  Has anybody ran into problems overclocking without using the 3 into 1 plug?

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 04:07:48 pm »
I have two of the 3 plugged in. I have seen no issues. (i7 5960X, 2 x GTX980Ti in SLI, GB X99 Gaming WIFI, 8 x 4GB Kingston hyper X predator)

Just over clocking using Easy tune,

Kevin

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 03:39:36 am »

If you overclock, your CPU may use up to 300+ watts (12volts x 25 amps).  I have a 1200 watt PSU and it has 2 power plugs for Motherboards that have "2 chips or 1 that requires lots of power".  The Gaming 5/5P has one power slot and you need to check the info about your PSU.  Mine states:
Rail 1         (plug 24pin)
Rail 2         (Plug 4x4 CPU) 20 amps x 12v = 240 watts
Rail 3         (plug 8 CPU)    36 amps x 12v = 432 watts
Rail 4,5,6,7,8 (video cards need lots of POWER
I use the 8 pin plug as it can deliver up to 435 watts to the INTEL 2011-3.
If your PSU has only one plug for CPU power, and it is less than required you can pick another power cable to add to the 3 into 1 to add more amps.  As molex/sata is not in demand for drives, perhaps that may be available.  Double check where the additional amps are coming from as this fix may clash with the PSU's ability to deliver.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:46:12 am by Kevin »