Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z97N-WIFI + F6 BIOS + Core i5 5675C (Broadwell) : Will not boot

Hi

I am building a new system and have hit a brick wall.  I have:
* GA-Z97N-Wifi Rev 1.1
* BIOS rev F6 (upgraded from F5 using Q-flash and celeron G1840, confirmed all other parts good as a result)
* Core i5 5675C (Broadwell)

With the Broadwell CPU installed, the machine won't POST (power on, 3-10 seconds later restarts).  With the Celeron in, all is fine boot to BIOS, all checks showing normal.

The F6 revision supposedly supports 5th gen Intel, but Gigabyte's support pages don't show it on the CPU compatability list (but the F6 BIOS isn't listed at all either)

Have raised a support ticket with Gigabyte but thought I'd ask here as well.

Is it that F6 doesn't support Broadwell, or is it that the CPU is DOA and I should RMA it?

For info, the rest of the build is:
* Gainward GTX 970
* 2x4GB Corsair vengeance 1866 C9
* 250GB Crucial SSD
* Silverstone Bronze 450W SFX PSU
Thanks in advance

Nick

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-Z97N-WIFI + F6 BIOS + Core i5 5675C (Broadwell) : Will not boot
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 12:47:38 am »
Now when you updated the bios did you clear the cmos and pull the battery? Did you as lease set the Bios to the default settings after you updated it?

Yes on the support page it does show that. On the CPU support list they don't show that CPU as yet. I would call or email support and ask them about it.

F6   5.44 MB   2015/04/22   Supports Intel® 5th Generation Core™ Processor
This BIOS prohibits updating to earlier version BIOS
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 03:17:40 pm »
So - a warning to you all.  From the support ticket, now been responded to:

"Some of the stock is mixed in the distributors so the motherboard you have will need a component change to get the Broadwell CPU work. Gigabyte will arrange a free collection and delivery service for you. Please advise your collection address. "

I have now arranged for Gigabyte to ship me a replacement board.

Buyer beware...

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 07:35:01 pm »
Ooo, with a rev 1.1 board...  Wow this is strange.  I'd expect something like this from a Rev 1.0 board but not 1.1+ 

At least you are getting a replacement that will work with the new CPU  :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:13:53 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 08:40:47 pm »

"Some of the stock is mixed in the distributors so the motherboard you have will need a component change to get the Broadwell CPU work. Gigabyte will arrange a free collection and delivery service for you. Please advise your collection address. "

Buyer beware...

Any update on whether you ever got it working? Looks like similar behavior than with my system: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=16545.0

juannm

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 02:34:43 pm »

Buyer beware...

Hi nhemmers, did you finally get this motherboard to work with that CPU?
I have the same combination of motherboard and CPU, and opened my own thread:
GA-Z97N-WIFI Rev 1.0 + i5-5675C boot problems

I am unable to boot in order to update the BIOS. As of today, Gigabyte specifies that support for Core i5 5675C CPU requires BIOS version F7 or higher, while you said that you had updated to version F6.

I'm still getting a bit worried, because the user txirribiton reported that even with BIOS version F7, the motherboard wouldn't still boot most of the times:

I forgot to mention that my box sometimes boots successfully. It seems it's random, it does not seem it matches any pattern.
In one of those successful boots I was able to update the BIOS to the latest one, F7 2015/09/18, and the problem remained. So I'm afraid that the problem has nothing to do with the BIOS version.

I'd love to know if you got a stable system, or ended up with some other motherboard model/manufacturer.

Regards

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 03:06:30 pm »

Hi nhemmers, did you finally get this motherboard to work with that CPU?
I have the same combination of motherboard and CPU, and opened my own thread:
GA-Z97N-WIFI Rev 1.0 + i5-5675C boot problems

I am unable to boot in order to update the BIOS. As of today, Gigabyte specifies that support for Core i5 5675C CPU requires BIOS version F7 or higher, while you said that you had updated to version F6.

I'm still getting a bit worried, because the user txirribiton reported that even with BIOS version F7, the motherboard wouldn't still boot most of the times:

I forgot to mention that my box sometimes boots successfully. It seems it's random, it does not seem it matches any pattern.
In one of those successful boots I was able to update the BIOS to the latest one, F7 2015/09/18, and the problem remained. So I'm afraid that the problem has nothing to do with the BIOS version.

I'd love to know if you got a stable system, or ended up with some other motherboard model/manufacturer.

Regards

Hi juanm

The RMA'd part is now working and stable and I've not had any issues since.  There was a bit of a funny on the first boot after the fixed board came back where it seemed like the problem was still present, but it only happened that first time.

Gigabyte support stated to me in the original ticket that this is not a BIOS revision problem, but an actual on-board component swap that's needed.  Mine was a 1.1 revision but apparently that makes no difference.

So my advice - raise the ticket with Gigabyte, RMA for a component swap (it was FOC and done in the UK for me) and see how you go.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 03:12:56 pm by nhemmers »

juannm

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 05:39:49 pm »
Hi nhemmers, thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your results; I'll also request an RMA.

Cheers