Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X99-UD4P Updated F20 bios now wont post

bunion

GA-X99-UD4P Updated F20 bios now wont post
« on: February 07, 2016, 07:15:03 pm »
The system is about 4-5 months old. For last month i had issue with the system freezing/stuttering Completely every few seconds but i have been hoping this was tied to software. It would happen until i rebooted enough times that it would dissapear complety for that session of the PC being on. Usually by the third reboot it was gone.

Today i noticed in the update utility the F20 bios release. I thought it would be a good step to get the latest version especially in light of this issue. The update seemed to run without any error. I did notice it was nearing completion and it went back to the beggining of reading / wrtiting once though. It completed and told me to restart the PC.

The pc will not stay on for longer than about 4 seconds then reboots endlessly. I have removed all ram / gpus and other connections apart from CPU but no difference.

I noticed F21a or whatever the present beta is has a note about fixing a 16gb ram stick issue which is confusing the update utility would allow me to update bios to one with problem compatibility of my system as i use 16gb ram sticks.

I have attempted CMOS reset and Q flash. I will find out tommorow if the usb i was using was indeed formatted in correct file system though. (Had to copy bloody bios file on to it via PVR so i dont know yet) Anyway in the 4 seconds the mobo powers on it doesent read the USB stick as its not flashing once so im doubting its going to work anyway.

I didnt get a system speaker in the box so i dont know if there are beeps or not i will endevour to find out asap. But from what ive said does it look like the motherboard is completly dead and there is nothing i can do? Bit fraustrating as i have a bios backup on the desktop and i thought mobo backed other bios up onto a chip if this happens.

Thanks for reading

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-X99-UD4P Updated F20 bios now wont post
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 06:04:37 pm »
When you say you did a cmos clear did you pull the battery too?
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

bunion

Re: GA-X99-UD4P Updated F20 bios now wont post
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 10:12:14 pm »
Yes, thanks for the reply. In the end i sent this back to the retailer. They managed to get it booting fortunately with a smaller 8gb stick which i dont have. The F20 bios has an issue with 16gb ram sticks, which is fixed in F21a. The Gigabyte appcenter suggested i install F20 as the 'latest' update when it had problems. I will never again use windows based software utility to update bios.

Still unexplained: why the board would not boot with no ram so i could Q flash. Also the freezing issue, hopefully this will not occur now i have a newer bios.