Official GIGABYTE Forum

I can't uninstall Easy Tune 6 so I can't install a working version

Deb

Easy Tune 6 stopped working, so I tried to uninstall it preparatory to installing the new version. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do that.

My computer has:
Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
GA-990FXA-UD3 rev 1.1
3.53 gigahertz AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core
Easy Tune 6 B13.01225.1 (but it doesn't start up)

The Easy Tune files are in Program Files (x86)\Gigabyte\ET6. That folder appears to be intact. There are quite a few registry keys that include names of files within that folder.

I first tried to uninstall EasyTune using Control Panel>Programs and Features, but it was not in the list of installed programs. 

The Start Menu folder for EasyTune has a shortcut called Uninstall. The target of that shortcut is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriver.exe" /M{457D7505-D665-4F95-91C3-ECB8C56E9ACA}

When to run Uninstall, I get a query whether I want Idriver.exe to make changes to the computer. I click Yes, but nothing seems to happen. (Actually I'm positive that nothing happened the first, time, but it certainly doesn't do anything now.)

So I gave up trying to uninstall and downloaded and ran the installation file for version B15.0210.1. The Install Shield Wizard says: Please remove EasyTune6 first!

Does anyone have suggestions for that will lead to installing a working version of ET6?

LouPe

Re: I can't uninstall Easy Tune 6 so I can't install a working version
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 07:04:35 am »
I had the same problem with Easy Tune 6. Finally got it uninstalled using a 30 day free trial of Revo Uninstaller Pro.

I first set a restore point. Then, since using the normal Revo uninstall method failed, I let Revo remove all the program files and registry entries individually. I then ran CCleaner on the registry and it found and removed a few entries referencing Easy Tune 6. The only thing left that I found was the folder in the Start-All Programs list which I deleted.

I had installed Easy Tune 6 when I first started up my just built computer and installed Gigabyte software but I never used it. The reason I needed to uninstall Easy Tune 6 was that it appeared to be corrupt and was causing problems shutting down my computer.

Hope this helps.

Deb

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 05:18:20 pm »
I had the same problem with Easy Tune 6. Finally got it uninstalled using a 30 day free trial of Revo Uninstaller Pro.

I first set a restore point. Then, since using the normal Revo uninstall method failed, I let Revo remove all the program files and registry entries individually. I then ran CCleaner on the registry and it found and removed a few entries referencing Easy Tune 6. The only thing left that I found was the folder in the Start-All Programs list which I deleted.

Thank you LouPe. I'm trying to understand what you did by comparing your description to the current user guide. Did you use the regular uninstaller and then sort through the scanned leftovers? Or did you use the forced uninstall?  Or something else? I gather you no longer have this free version, so you might not completely remember, but whatever you do remember would help.

LouPe

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 06:14:07 pm »
When I used the regular Revo uninstaller it failed with the same error message as the Windows uninstaller. Then I used the forced uninstaller and that worked. Later that day I ran CCleaner on the registry and it highlighted references to Easy Tune 6 and said that the program was missing so I let CCleaner delete the registry references. A day or two later I noticed that the Start-All Programs list still had an empty folder for Easy Tune 6 and I deleted it.

Before I installed Revo I did set a restore point and made sure my backups were up to date. I admit that I didn't read the Revo User's Manual. (I avoid reading documentation as much as I can. If a program isn't intuitive or self explanatory I generally don't use it.) I found Revo to be exactly what it claimed to be and was impressed that before altering the registry it too set a restore point and backed up the registry.

Hope this has addressed your concerns.

Deb

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 04:34:17 am »
So far no success. In fact, it's been a saga.

Revo Uninstaller Pro did appear to uninstall the program, but I wasn't able to install the new version of Easy Tune. I still got the message to "Please remove Easy Tune6 first!"

I figured it would be safer to go back to the restore point before the Revo forced uninstall. However, the restore didn't work -- I got an error message from Windows about my anti virus program. My security application was Bitdefender, so I contacted them and was told I had to uninstall Bitdefender in order to do a restore! Yikes!!

Anyway, I downloaded the Bitdefender uninstaller, ran it, and tried again to go back to the restore point. Windows didn't complain, but Bitdefender was only partially installed after the restore. And I couldn't reinstall over it.

Fortunately, I had kept a clone of my C: drive from just before I installed Bitdefender, so I was able to restore pretty much everything and I'm still trying to get a working version of Easy Tune.

Avani

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 09:27:06 pm »
Malwarebytes (www.Malwarebytes.org) is the best tool to fight things like Easy Tune 6
It can even help with ransomware like .vvv file virus (description http://nabzsoftware.com/types-of-threats/vvv-file )