Official GIGABYTE Forum

Suitable Graphics card

Suitable Graphics card
« on: September 24, 2015, 08:35:28 am »
Does my mother board G41 M Combo support Zotac NVIDIA GTX 750 128-bit/1 GB DDR5 card ??

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Suitable Graphics card
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 01:43:00 pm »
I would say more likely NO. But I have seen where newer video cards work in older board. A couple things here are that the board & CPU don't support 3.0 cards. Yes you can take a chance on buying it and trying it.

But if doesn't work, then you will have upgrade the mother board & CPU. If you look for a good Ati 5800, 6900 series & nvidia 500, 600  series card you will have better change at it working. Plus get the full performance out of those cards vs the 750. 
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 04:45:36 pm »
Saying it probably won't work is misinformative. PCI-E is backwards compatible.
He should be more concerned with bottlenecking a modern graphics card. Pairing a modern GPU with DDR2 and an ancient CPU + chipset is just not going to work well.

dmdilks

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 07:02:43 pm »
Saying it probably won't work is misinformative. PCI-E is backwards compatible.

The board Supports both DDR2 and DDR3 memory for great flexibility. Plus he never said what he was running for memory or CPU. Plus we have had more people come here that have bought a new video card. It didn't even work in a 1156 or 1155 board.

He could be running a Quad CPU and DDR3 memory. Plus the card he wants is not a powerful card to start with. So where did I misinformation.
"I would say more likely NO. But I have seen where newer video cards work in older board. A couple things here are that the board & CPU don't support 3.0 cards."

Plus not all cards are PCI-E is backwards compatible. Yes they say they are, but I don't want him to take a chance on buying something and not work. That is why I said to use the other cards. Plus you tell him what to use I'm done here with this post Sorry OP.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 07:29:14 pm »
Making vague references to a problematic board or two doesn't refute what I said. PCI-E is in fact backwards compatible.

dmdilks

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 08:24:51 pm »
Making vague references to a problematic board or two doesn't refute what I said. PCI-E is in fact backwards compatible.

I'm only going to post here this last time. I have been doing this for about 35 yrs. So if I don't know anything about computers by now, I will never know. Thanks for the in put on how a mother board works.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:25:25 pm by dmdilks »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 10:22:08 pm »

Guys,
I was going to reply earlier, but didn't have a chance.  Slimreaper.  Great you have decided to join the forums.  Please consider the following.  This is a place to share experience and knowledge.  We are all here to help one another.  Its OK to disagree, but how about doing more to help others with their problems instead of replying only to disagree or simply to insist that Gen 3 cards are in fact backwards compatible.  While PCIe cards are suppose to be backwards Gen compatible, we have seen a large number of unexplainable cases (Gigabyte card, Gig Board) where a 3rd gen card (example) doesn't run on a Gen 1 or 2 board.  Even those that allow selecting a different Gen in BIOS (enhanced compatibility).  Chipset, CPU and memory do play a role here.  This doesn't mean someone is right or wrong.  If you have experience or constructive suggestions, how about sharing that.  This is what people coming here are looking for.  Answers and help. 

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:33:28 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 11:26:41 pm »

I'm only going to post here this last time. I have been doing this for about 35 yrs. So if I don't know anything about computers by now, I will never know. Thanks for the in put on how a mother board works.
If you don't know the PCI-E 16x slot is backwards compatible, you should find a different job. PS: I couldn't care less how long you've been working with computers nor will I bother saying how long I have been as well. No one cares.

Guys,
I was going to reply earlier, but didn't have a chance.  Slimreaper.  Great you have decided to join the forums.  Please consider the following.  This is a place to share experience and knowledge.  We are all here to help one another.  Its OK to disagree, but how about doing more to help others with their problems instead of replying only to disagree or simply to insist that Gen 3 cards are in fact backwards compatible.  While PCIe cards are suppose to be backwards Gen compatible, we have seen a large number of unexplainable cases (Gigabyte card, Gig Board) where a 3rd gen card (example) doesn't run on a Gen 1 or 2 board.  Even those that allow selecting a different Gen in BIOS (enhanced compatibility).  Chipset, CPU and memory do play a role here.  This doesn't mean someone is right or wrong.  If you have experience or constructive suggestions, how about sharing that.  This is what people coming here are looking for.  Answers and help. 

Cheers
I  posted to point out he's wrong.   I don't need you telling me what a forum is for. Someone came asking for help and got misinformation. Obviously this place isn't the best forum to get answers. It goes without saying a gen 1 PCI-E slot is going to be coming along with a ancient board and a ancient chipset.  Regardless, theoretically it's backwards compatible. He didn't even bother mentioning this.
In any case if this is even a issue you should probably get newer hardware.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 11:32:47 pm by Slimreaper »

dmdilks

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 11:57:08 pm »
shadowsports give it up you just wasting your time. The man is smarter then the two of us.

1. I would say more likely NO.
2. But I have seen where newer video cards work in older board.
3. A couple things here are that the board & CPU don't support 3.0 cards.
4. Yes you can take a chance on buying it and trying it.
5. But if doesn't work, then you will have upgrade the mother board & CPU.
6. If you look for a good Ati 5800, 6900 series & nvidia 500, 600  series card you will have better change at it working.
7. Plus get the full performance out of those cards vs the 750.

I  posted to point out he's wrong. - Show me which one I'm wrong on
Someone came asking for help and got misinformation - Show me misinformation I'm wrong on
It goes without saying a gen 1 PCI-E slot is going to be coming along with a ancient board and a ancient chipset. - #3
In any case if this is even a issue you should probably get newer hardware. #5