Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H

Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
« on: October 19, 2015, 10:18:17 pm »
This is a simple question that should be answered without hundred of reply's.

Intel Core i7 4790K Processor in rated for 4.00Ghz, with Turbo mode enabled it would overclock it to 4.4GHz from its default clock speed. So here's the problem I'm having with this motherboard, a replacement mobo for ASUS Maximus VII Hero that no longer works correctly.

Why isn't it dialing back the Turbo Mode witch is 4.4GHz to default clock speeds 4.0GHz?

Can't run OCCT not alone Prime95 without it peeking 90c-100c under full load cooler is Corsair H100i any help would be appreciated.

Also like to point out voltage reading from within the UEFI-BIOS ROM seems ratter weird if you were to ask me, using F10 BIOS.

Tried disabling all C stats, EIST and Turbo. The only time it seems to work correctly is when I disable Turbo all together, running OCCT would run for hours as soon as Turbo is enabled it hits extremely high temps. So again why isn't it dialing back the default clock speeds when Turbo mode hits high temps.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:19:02 pm by PhoneyVirus »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 01:36:17 am »
This guy is having the same problem as you. http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=16496.0

He never reply back to tell us if turning off the turbo would help. I myself would turn off turbo till they come up with a fix. One other thing you could try is email them and see if they will give you a bios to fix it.

I did notice you said you are at F10. I would have never update to the bios. Now if you want or needed to go back to a early bios you can't. F10 or F9 are for the 5th gen CPU only.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 01:42:39 am by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 03:07:39 am »
Rolling back the UEFI-BIOS Rom was the first thought, but knowing the chances of that could be slim to none. I can run OCCT for 59 minutes when Turbo Mode is disabled even though it's designed has a artificial synthetic benchmark tool. Base clock timing is off by as few Hz reporting 99.76Mhz in CPU-Z. Tweaktown reported the same "set the BCLK to 100.00, you can also set it to 100.02 to get 100.00 MHz even." Voltage readings are weird in the HD BIOS, Fans spin up differently when changing from Classic Mode to HD Mode even RPMs are changed. Andantech also reports text are clipped in the HD Mode something I have experience.

When in Classic Mode there's no information about K OC when there's plenty of room for it.
Intel IGP still left to enabled when there's a Graphics card installed in PCIx Slot 1.   

The motherboard seems to run great but these thing's have me concerned.

I'll be running the following benchmarks just to see if anything happens on the count of OCCT and Prime95 been Artificial Synthetic Benchmark Tools that present unrealistic loading that your CPU will never see.

Comprehensive Benchmarks
AIDA64 v5.50
MAXON CINEBENCH R15
PC Mark 7

Storage Benchmarks
AS SSD v1.8.5636.36856
CrystalDiskMark v5.0.2
HD Tune v5.60

Graphics Benchmarks
3D Mark 11
Unigine Heaven v4.0
Valley Benchmark v1.0

Don't get wrong, I'm by no means (of dumb) and have no problem tweaking my baby, but if these things seems to be happening to more then one person, then I think it should be looked at by Gigabyte indefinitely.

Note: When Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST) in enabled the Central Processor Unit (CPU) will dial back to what ever percent you enter I.e 10% witch is default in Windows 7 or 50% witch would be 2.xx Ghz base on the clock speed your operating at. Disabling this feature will BLOW UP! your Central Processor Unit (CPU) because Turbo Mode is NOT dialing back the clock speed. So with this bug that's affecting not only me should be looked at ASPS.

Setting it to 100% in the power options in the control panel/cmd it won't dial back to 4.0GHz it's always operating at 4.4GHz no matter what I do besides completely disabling the feature something I hate to do or for that matter live with.

Side Note: What I did up to this event was not special, mount the Mainboard, Installed Windows 7 from a bootable Flash drive with all KB updates, along with the v1.2 drivers (No Gigabyte App Software), backed up F9 UEFI-BIOS Rom and loaded Newest F10 BIOS, Both switches were set to 1-1 BBIOS_LED was active just the way it was when I first got it (Made sure to load default Values exactly what the User's Manual Said.) Never used any Third-party software I.e Intel Extreme Tuning Utility or EVGA PrecisionX Software. Wish I could say I'm a noob but a decade sitting in fort of a machine, I kinda know what I'm doing, but please anything on the subject again would be appreciated.

He's something else F9 UEFI-BIOS Rom "This BIOS prohibits updating to earlier version BIOS" So much for rolling back the ROM.

Hardware Specs
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell 3.5GHz (Code named Haswell Devil’s Canyon)
COOLER: Corsair H100i Close-Loop Liquid Cooler
MOBO: GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H (v1.2) LGA 1150 (Code named Lynx Point) Z97 Chipset
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB
VIDEO: EVGA GeForce GTX 670
SSD: 1x Samsung 250 EVO
HDD: 3x WD Black WD2003FZEX 2TB Caviar Black
DVD: 2x Samsung SH-S223
PSU: Corsair AXi AX860i 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified
CASE: Cooler Master Cosmos II
LCD Screen: 2x Acer V223W
KEYBOARD: Steelseries 
MOUSE: Logitech G400S
GAMEPAD: Razer Onza TE
HEADSET: Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset
SPEAKERS: Genius SW-G2.1 1250 2.1

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 05:20:22 am by PhoneyVirus »

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 07:23:35 pm »
The UEFI-BIOS Rom has a bug in the F8-F9-F10 versions that's available on Gigabyte's website. After searching for countless hours I found the problem to why the Turbo Boost Technology any dialing back because apparently there's something up with the flashing procedure and wrong Voltage settings taking place causing the problem.

Like it said this needs to be looked at ASAP.

Toms Hardware http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2207989/4790k-crashes-turbo-boost-default-settings.html
Tech support forum http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f15/solved-unexpected-rebooting-not-the-psu-what-else-could-it-be-868882.html     
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 07:32:37 pm by PhoneyVirus »

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 09:03:49 pm »
Returning the motherboard because there in NO Support from these people, bad enough ASUS made me hate my machine and almost cause a decade all relationship to end on the count of love what I do but not like this ASUS has really bad driver support and Gigabyte has really bad tech support along with BIOS flashing, far has I could remember all I heard was bad flash, BIOS corrupted etc. 

Tried everything, restoring the F9 backup, reloading defaults, tweaking voltages dealing with BSOD's, repairing corrupted file system, searching with no help in site from gigabyte forums along with no North America forum, what was I thinking. Might have to fine something else that I don't want AGAIN! because of the lack of support. No wounder Mobile killed the market look what we're left with (....) Noting, gamers are keeping the market alive now that's truly sad.     
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:04:27 pm by PhoneyVirus »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 01:38:12 am »
Tried disabling all C stats, EIST and Turbo. The only time it seems to work correctly is when I disable Turbo all together, running OCCT would run for hours as soon as Turbo is enabled it hits extremely high temps. So again why isn't it dialing back the default clock speeds when Turbo mode hits high temps.

So if you disable Turbo mode everything works by what you are saying. I would just leave the turbo disable till they can come up with a fix. I had a friend that was using a EVGA Z77 board and the turbo didn't run right in that board either.

I understand that you are mad at Asus & now Gigabyte. I understand that you want your board to 100% too. But if it is just Turbo mode that is giving you a problem. You can disable and everything is fine I would disable it till they fix it.

Plus I'm sorry if you didn't get the help from the forum either. This is just a user to user. If no body is having that problem here that post here all the time you might not get the help you need. Sorry

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 02:50:05 am »
Disabling Intel's Tubro boost Technology ant really a fix. At this point once again there should be more support, has of now I'm kinda worried about the out of this motherboard and can't take the chance of running into problems because of incorrect Voltages. Over All I'm sorry for trying something New, who knows five years from now I might just end up with one. Don't get me wrong their Brix's are looking pretty cool, so next time. I'll get a MSI something I don't want but well go with, if they were to say there's a fix coming then I would wait, something I can't do because of the 30 day return policy. On the plus side I get to write about this on my Blog Awesome something positive.

Thanks for the help dmdilks

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 08:17:40 am »
Have you contacted Gigabyte Tech Support about this?

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 07:02:02 pm »
Have you contacted Gigabyte Tech Support about this?

What Tech Support there is no number available just Tickets, I'll be going with MSI Z97 MPOWER Max AC. The only differents besides it been more for overclock, something I have to problem with, is the SATA Express, a dead man walking if you were to ask me. PCI-E SSD's and NGF M.2 are the future, so if can get me some sort of number that's a 1-800 then sure I'll be more then glad to give them a phone call.

Getting ready to write about my experience I had with the Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H motherboard on my blog, believe me is not going to be bad I really wish there was something else I could do to keep this Mainboard. Plus time is running out for me, has I didn't really test the full motherboard ports slot etc so at this point if something ant in place by the end of this week it'll be on its way back, nonetheless I really hope the problem gets fixed.   
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 07:04:36 pm by PhoneyVirus »