Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H97-HD3 - no longer starts

GA-H97-HD3 - no longer starts
« on: October 31, 2015, 05:10:32 pm »
I have a motherboard GA-H97-HD3 that I have installed and have been using for some weeks with a Windows10 environment and have had no issues up until I attempted to set up RAID1 with 2 data disks. I followed the instructions in the User Guide, Page 32, but after saving my changes I had boot errors when trying to start Windows. Windows attempted to correct the problems and then shut down. I reset the SATA Mode selection back to AHCI. However I am now unable to start up, I cannot get into BIOS and the system will not boot. Just a black screen. I have tried reseting CMOS by removing the battery, to no avail. Help here would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: GA-H97-HD3 - no longer starts
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 01:42:38 pm »
Have you tried using the Clear CMOS jumper?  Your manual tells you how to do this.  The following is a quote from the manual for the revision 1.1 version of your board;

13)    CLR_CMOS (Clear CMOS Jumper)
Use this jumper to clear the BIOS configurations and reset the CMOS values to factory defaults. To clear
the CMOS values, use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few seconds.
• Always turn off your computer and unplug the power cord from the power outlet before clearing the CMOS values.
• After system restart, go to BIOS Setup to load factory defaults (select Load Optimized Defaults) or manually
configure the BIOS settings (refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," for BIOS configurations)

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 03:23:38 pm »
Have you tried using the Clear CMOS jumper?  Your manual tells you how to do this.  The following is a quote from the manual for the revision 1.1 version of your board;

13)    CLR_CMOS (Clear CMOS Jumper)
Use this jumper to clear the BIOS configurations and reset the CMOS values to factory defaults. To clear
the CMOS values, use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few seconds.
• Always turn off your computer and unplug the power cord from the power outlet before clearing the CMOS values.
• After system restart, go to BIOS Setup to load factory defaults (select Load Optimized Defaults) or manually
configure the BIOS settings (refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," for BIOS configurations)
I have a motherboard GA-H97-HD3 that I have installed and have been using for some weeks with a Windows10 environment and have had no issues up until I attempted to set up RAID1 with 2 data disks. I followed the instructions in the User Guide, Page 32, but after saving my changes I had boot errors when trying to start Windows. Windows attempted to correct the problems and then shut down. I reset the SATA Mode selection back to AHCI. However I am now unable to start up, I cannot get into BIOS and the system will not boot. Just a black screen. I have tried reseting CMOS by removing the battery, to no avail. Help here would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Yes I have tried that option aswell. I notice also that the pc starts and the cpu fan turns for a second ot two. Then repeats the startup and fan turning regularly.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 07:29:30 pm »
You should be sure to have the power supply disconnected from the AC mains, then short the CMOS clear jumper.  If that doesn't get it then disconnect all SATA connections and start tapping the DEL key as soon as you hit the power on button. 

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 10:22:50 am »
RESOLVED.
Took out the battery overnight and after removing the sata cables I was able to get into BIOS.
Thanks.