Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z170X-UD3: LAN is not working

MrB

GA-Z170X-UD3: LAN is not working
« on: November 24, 2015, 01:54:54 pm »
Hello,
LAN (Ethernet) on my brand new motherboard GA-Z170X-UD3 is not working at all :(
I have just built brand new PC on GA-Z170X-UD3, installed Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit OEM from installation DVD disc and all the necessary drivers (including LAN) from fresh download from Gigabyte website  (Windows 10 64 bit versions, downloaded to pen drive and unzipped on my old computer and then pen drive connected to my new PC and drivers installed).  Everything seems to be working except Ethernet connection:
1)   In the Device Manager in Windows 10 there is info in the properties of Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V in general tab (translation from Polish version of the Windows):
“This device cannot be run / activated (code 10)”
2)   In the BIOS in the Peripherals section I do _not_ have option Intel Ethernet Network Connection that is listed as the last position on the page no 34 of motherboard’s manual. It is like this despite the fact that in the chipset section PCH LAN Controller is of course enabled. My last option in Peripherals section is NVMe Configuration. I find it really suspicious and disturbing!
I have tried following steps:
-   Removing and re-installing LAN driver several times, including installation from CD/DVD disc that came with motherboard
-   Flashing newest BIOS (F4)
Sometime during the process motherboard was showing F0 led code and HDD drive was not properly seen but somehow it was fixed, no more suspicious led codes on motherboard and HDD is working properly BUT LAN issue remains unsolved.
Configuration of my new PC is as follows:
GA-Z170X-UD3, i5 6600K, G.Skill 2 x 8 GB DDR4 2400 CL15 (on the list of supported models), Samsung M.2 NVMe SSD 128 GB (Windows 10 installed here, drive connected to slot further away from CPU), Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA HDD connected to SATA 0, ASUS blu-ray burner connected to SATA 1, quality CPU cooler (local brand SilentiumPC Grandis), quality case and quality 550W Gold standard power supply (both SilentiumPC). At the moment everything seems to be working except Ethernet (I have not tested audio and printer connection yet).

Do I have broken motherboard or just something wrong with hardware or software configuration / installation / etc. ??
Without network access my brand new computer is just piece of trash, so please help.
Regards,
MrB

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: GA-Z170X-UD3: LAN is not working
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 03:38:44 pm »
You have the controller enabled in BIOS, yes?  I would assume so since you have a device manager entry.

Code 10 means wrong, or incorrect drivers typically.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/hardware_device_problems
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

MrB

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 05:12:01 pm »
You have the controller enabled in BIOS, yes?  I would assume so since you have a device manager entry.

Code 10 means wrong, or incorrect drivers typically.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/hardware_device_problems

Thanks for trying. Yes onboard LAN is enabled, I have mentioned that. Yes I do understand what code 10 means. I have tried to install proper driver both from CD/DVD bundled with mobo and from Gigabyte website, several times with no successful effect (every time code 10 remains). What bothers me most is that LAN settings option that should be available in Peripherals section of BIOS (as it is listed in motherboard's manual) is not there, so perhaps this is main problem causing driver cannot communicate with broken or disconnected LAN chip or something like that??
BTW I did also BIOS reset to factory safe defaults as well as CMOS reset by removing battery for about 10 minutes but it did not help.
p.s.
Tool under your link seems to be not compatible with Windows 10 plus I am not able to run it on my new computer because I do not have network connection established yet :(

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 07:52:01 pm »
I haven't seen a code 10 in years. It is more likely the lan chip. But again it could be windows 10. We are see many problems with this series mother board. Did you install the chip-set driver? That might help to fix the lan chip. Not saying it will work but something to try.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

MrB

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 10:45:36 pm »
I haven't seen a code 10 in years. It is more likely the lan chip. But again it could be windows 10. We are see many problems with this series mother board. Did you install the chip-set driver? That might help to fix the lan chip. Not saying it will work but something to try.

Yes, I have installed all the possible drivers except audio. Only LAN is missing and has any errors reported in Device Manager. All the other devices are free from errors as far as Device Manager is concerned.

I would appreciate users of GA-Z170X-UD3 (especially ones having newest BIOS) to confirm that they have "Intel Ethernet Network Connection" option available in BIOS in Peripherals (below "SATA Configuration" and/or "NVMe Configuration"). I would like to at least make sure that manual is correct and option should be accessible in healthy mobo. Thanks.

BTW I have been waiting for Gigabyte e-support response for almost 2 days! Do they receive so many inquiries to make it so bloody long to respond?? Disappointingly low quality of customer service (and perhaps also of products too). I regret I did not go for ASUS or MSI :-/ 

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 01:02:15 am »
Hey MrB.
Reviewing your thread in case I missed something...  Like can't run that tool because you don't have a network connection.  (sorry about that).  The tool was for W7 which happened to be the machine I was posting from. I have too many PC's unfortunately.  Well, the way my wife sees it anyway :)

Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V  The (2) there does tell us you have installed this device more than once.

But why it doesn't appear in BIOS, Page 34 > Intel(R) Ethernet Network Connection is good reason for your concern. 

After flashing did you Load set up defaults?  If not please try this.  Don't regret not buying Asus or MSi.  I can assure you (after using Asus exclusively for 13 yrs) you aren't missing anything.  They all have issues and if you haven't had one until now consider yourself extremely lucky.         
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 01:03:23 am by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11

MrB

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 01:57:08 pm »
Hey MrB.
Reviewing your thread in case I missed something...  Like can't run that tool because you don't have a network connection.  (sorry about that).  The tool was for W7 which happened to be the machine I was posting from. I have too many PC's unfortunately.  Well, the way my wife sees it anyway :)

Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V  The (2) there does tell us you have installed this device more than once.

But why it doesn't appear in BIOS, Page 34 > Intel(R) Ethernet Network Connection is good reason for your concern. 

After flashing did you Load set up defaults?  If not please try this.  Don't regret not buying Asus or MSi.  I can assure you (after using Asus exclusively for 13 yrs) you aren't missing anything.  They all have issues and if you haven't had one until now consider yourself extremely lucky.       

Yes I loaded safe default settings but it did not help. What I am going to try to do is disconnecting all the external peripherals (SSD, HDD and blu-ray) and see if BIOS LAN settings appear.

MrB

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 08:50:25 am »

Yes I loaded safe default settings but it did not help. What I am going to try to do is disconnecting all the external peripherals (SSD, HDD and blu-ray) and see if BIOS LAN settings appear.
[/quote]

And I did any no change in BIOS whatsoever. After some 3 days I have received feedback from Gigabyte e-support. They advise to send mobo back to my supplier. I have to disassemble whole PC (CPU, cooler etc.) and wait many more days for the solution. Nightmare :(

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 05:08:45 pm »
Ripping out the MB is a pain.  At least you'll have conclusion and get a new board, which I'm confident wont have the same issue.  All here hoping the best for you   :)