Official GIGABYTE Forum

X99M GAMING 5 BOOT LOOP

X99M GAMING 5 BOOT LOOP
« on: November 28, 2015, 07:39:29 pm »
Hello,
i have read a lot about boot loops and problems with X99 motherboards,
but mine its a bit weird.

when you first power on the computer all is fine. it boots up normally login to windows no problems at all.
(using windows 8.1) but if you shutdown the computer (it shutdowns without any problems) and you try to power
on again then you get the gigabyte logo, a normal beep and just before it should load OS it reboots and does this
loop forever. if you power off the system by turning off the PSU power switch wait a few second and power on again,
then its all fine boots up normally etc. but when you shutdown all the same all over again. So my workaround for now
is that i have to turn off completely the power by PSU switch every time i shutdown windows, or else i get the boot loop.

EDIT: when i select restart the computer instead of shutdown from windows, it reboots fine. But shutdown and then power on gives up the loop boot.

what is the setup :

MotherBoard : Gigabyte X99M Gaming 5
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400Mhz
VGA : Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti
HDD : Samsung EVO 840 500GB
PSU : SuperFlower 1600W 85+
edit: i don't think so it matters but Monitor is ASUS Gsync PG278Q connected with Display port Cable (its the only way anyway and also the USB hub of the monitor is not connected or used at all)

What have i tried so far :

- bios update to latest version which is F4b Beta.
- power on without any usb devices connected. (not that i have any weird devices or external hard drives attached
just a Corsair keyboard a Microsoft mouse a Blue microphone and a Microsoft camera)
i disconnected ALL and the problem was exactly the same.
- various bios settings.
someone said you have to disable full screen logo. nothing
- XHCI AND EHCI HAND OFF ...ENABLE-DISABLE-AUTO. ALL SETTINGS SAME RESULT
- Memory set to normal. nothing
- Memory XMP profile 1. nothing
- Tried some of UEFI settings OS windows 8, other OS, etc, no luck.
- edit: tried also changing SATA ports on HDD.

i have read a lot of similar problems, seems like X99 Gaming 5 solves the problem with latest bios update but X99M only has 3 versions of Bios i tried 2 of them except the oldest one.

anyone with any ideas please help.

thanks. 

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 07:56:10 pm by jkasiolas »

Re: X99M GAMING 5 BOOT LOOP
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 09:36:39 am »
hello everyone,

i got no replies about my problem for a long time and i guess it was natural because the problem was weird,

i am posting today because i fixed it and want to share it with you just in case someone gets help solving any

similar problem.

ok wait for it...

it was the display port cable !!!!

the whole system is top so i bought an expensive display port cable as well... stupid me...

at some point when i was struggling to see why is not booting i noticed that the Graphics card logo had a bit of light

even tho the system was shutdown ( apparently some power leak) . i disconnected the display port cable and the light 

turned off, then i turned on the system without the cable connected and it booted ok.

then i replaced the cable and all works fine.

i hope it helps someone.

John

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 05:22:46 pm »
Did you update the BIO from F3 to F20?

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 03:03:05 pm »
Did you update the BIO from F3 to F20?

i did, i updated to latest beta bios f21a, i still had problems, after replacing the display port cable it was all ok. i still run the latest bios without any issues.

Genesis1

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 12:12:23 pm »
Glad you posted the resolution to your problems. Yet again one little thing can be a major headache and stop these boards running correctly. However I would like to see a resolve to the USB problems on boot.