Official GIGABYTE Forum

990fxa-ud3 REV 3 Fan RPM after wake from sleep is borked

990fxa-ud3 REV 3 Fan RPM after wake from sleep is borked
« on: November 01, 2015, 10:40:45 pm »
Not until recently I realized the reason my system has been overheating for the last year or so.

Here's the run down. It's difficult to get technical support with gigabyte. I have no idea why but maybe someone will hear me and finally provide a fix. I'm not sure whether it's a bios issue or what. I have attempted to reach out to tech support but didn't get an answer for 2 weeks. Replied and nothing came back. Maybe but one forgets to check once or twice a month.

Symptoms: Computer is put to sleep. On wake my 120mm fan spins up but stops which has been causing all kinds of overheating for the longest time.  :'( I just never thought it would malfunction this way.

Brand: It's a evo 212 with the stock master cooler fan. But this doesn't matter because I've now tested it with a different smaller fan.

Test: I use the stock cooler fan that came with my fx 8350. It's an 80mm so much smaller. Keep in mind I'm using only PWM fans. I set the fan to a high PWM settings so it runs fast on boot and within windows. It is now running around 2000RPM. I then put it to sleep and wake it up. Fan continues to run, unlike the 120mm, but now the fan speed is at 500RPM.  >:(

I am running the latest bios currently. I have tested the "previous" non beta bios and currently I am running the beta bios "FDk".

Sleep functions are very important to me. Can I get some kind a help? A bios fix perhaps or some kind of explanation of why it's doing this? Because of this I turn my computer on and off on a frequent basis. Several times a day. It's becoming a major annoyance.

EDIT: They may have sent me a bios that has fixed it. Will test it.

EDIT2: No didn't work. Fan actually runs now but at 195RPM after wake. So I guess it is a bios thing.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 11:30:43 pm by Enthrall »

AgentFXA

• none
Re: 990fxa-ud3 REV 3 Fan RPM after wake from sleep is borked
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 10:18:11 am »
Yes, this is nothing new - rev 3/4 boards show this bug and they gotta fix for the rev4 boards that works (new bios).
Gigabyte is trying hard to sweep it under the carpet. Try an older bios .. not sure which was the last that worked.

good luck getting a working bios but miracles sometimes happen

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:21:43 am by AgentFXA »
X570 Aorus Elite Wifi / Ryzen 2700x / Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900 XT Gaming OC 20G Graphics Card / 16 GB HyperX Predator 3200 / SeaSonic 850W / Tt View 71 TG / Win10x64

reeven

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 03:59:33 pm »
You could buy an fan with no PWM( or with separate controller like zerotherm),  or an whole cooler like Tuniq Tower120( old model)

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 12:58:05 pm »
You could buy an fan with no PWM( or with separate controller like zerotherm),  or an whole cooler like Tuniq Tower120( old model)
I have just bought this motherboard it had F2 bios, I upgraded to F3 and very slow fan on wake up. I contacted Giga help and they said remove bios battery for a couple of minutes, set factory defaults and restart. This will cure the problem, it didn't so went back to F2 no probs now.