Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z170Z Gaming 7 Audio Problem

Re: Z170Z Gaming 7 Audio Problem
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2016, 03:17:09 pm »
Same issue here. I had re-installed windows 10 64bit and same issue. Played around with drivers and no luck.
Installed windows 8.1 64bit with drivers that came with CD and no issues with sound anymore. It sucks that im unable to fix this issue with widndows 12 because i really wanted to utilize DX12

In addition, i have noticed memory leaks with network killer nic software. Its easy to reproduce. Use utorrent, leave it running for x # of days and all the sudden 20GB of RAM is used. I fixed a issue by installing just a driver and not the software.

After this, im not sure if i will be getting a gigabyte product again. Asus most likely.

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2016, 07:17:13 pm »
czar4you,

I've been having the same sound distortion and extreme volume problems with my Gigabyte Z170X Gaming GT. I tried updating the BIOS and Sound Card drivers many times, with no avail.

I recently tried custom drivers for my onboard creative card (PAX drivers). So far they are working well. I installed them as "driver only", but plan to try the software suite if the problem remains fixed.

Here is a link to the download:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/community/threads/gigabyte-z170-recon3d-drivers-help.233458/

-Allied

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2016, 12:33:54 am »
So, here I am two weeks after my post above.  The audio issues were non-existent for several days and then just now I was playing Overwatch and suddenly the awful screeching and underwater distortion came back in full force randomly.  The only thing I can do is restart my PC which will "fix it" for a while (until it comes back).

What should I do?  Contact the seller?  Contact Gigabyte for an RMA?  I really don't want to be without my board for several weeks.
Sell the board and buy ASUS or MSI.
That's what I did. Sold the board and bought ASUS Z170 Maximus Viii Hero. Had this board for over 3 month now and no problems or whatsoever. Everything works flawless and overclocks so much better than that Gigabyte Gaming 7 garbage...

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2016, 02:31:44 pm »
Has anyone with this issue opened a ticket with Gig. support?
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

legal

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2016, 08:18:30 pm »

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2016, 06:37:17 am »
Has anyone with this issue opened a ticket with Gig. support?

Yes, I have.  They told me to make sure my OP-AMP was correctly seated (it was) and then told me to send the board in if I wanted to replace it.  I declined because I will either get the same board back or another one just like it.  Screw that.  I am stuck with it.

However, I can say the third-party drivers have fixed my issue thus far.

« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2016, 03:33:33 am »
czar4you,

I've been having the same sound distortion and extreme volume problems with my Gigabyte Z170X Gaming GT. I tried updating the BIOS and Sound Card drivers many times, with no avail.

I recently tried custom drivers for my onboard creative card (PAX drivers). So far they are working well. I installed them as "driver only", but plan to try the software suite if the problem remains fixed.

Here is a link to the download:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/community/threads/gigabyte-z170-recon3d-drivers-help.233458/

-Allied

Thanks. Just installed it as just a driver. We will see what happens.

« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2016, 10:32:14 am »

For those using headphones, a simple workaround to your problem is to use headphones that utilize a USB port such as the HyperX Cloud 2.  This headset has a separate DSP so you wont be using the onboard audio.  I'm using the onboard audio via the headphone jack but honestly I have a hard time noticing any difference.

Gosan

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2017, 09:15:19 am »
I'm having the same issue with my board.  Did the posted drivers solve your issues? Downloading them now. Will try them in the morning.

The front panel microphone (for my headset) wasn't working either. I ended up getting it to work for about a week, but I forget what I did. Since then I had updated drivers, bios, etc... One of those things ended up causing the microphone to stop working, once more, and I have yet to get it running again. I've been using the back panel for the time being (with the random audio distortion issue). Would love to be able to use the front panel though if anyone has a solution for that, or if it is one-in-the-same it would be nice to knock out that problem as well.

Here's hoping the posted drivers are the solution. I will bump this thread with the link again below. If it works you may not hear back from me, but I will do my best to post a follow up in a week or two if no one else has by then.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nzetmrz751o6r3r/PAX_mb_driver_audio_creative_100series_2016_V1.00.7z

Sandokan

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2017, 04:36:59 pm »
In my experience actually PAX drivers didn't solves audio issues with Z170X Gaming 7. Also Op-amp it is not the cause of broken audio (anyway this is a few cents $/€ component).
After a lot of test I found that there are some compatibility issues about Creative audio drivers. I found a lot of errors related to Creative drivers into the Windows Reliability Monitor. It seems that Creative drivers are not fully compatible with Windows and other audio devices.
I made test with RC1, RC2 drivers provided by Gigabyte and different versions provided by Windows Update. In my case I found this work around starting from a fresh Windows 10 installation:

- install Creative RC2 driver version without optional stuff (only drivers and control panel).
- install AMD graphic and hdmi audio driver provided by Window update (I have a R9 Fury)
- install last AMD drivers without updating AMD HDMI audio drivers
- deactivate "Turn on fast startup" option (https://www.cnet.com/how-to/what-is-windows-10s-fast-startup/)

In this way I do not have errors into Windows Reliability Monitor and my audio issues dissapered magically. If errors appears maybe some driver was overwritten (in this case rollback it) and try again.

I opened a ticket to Gigabyte support and  they published 2 new driver versions in the while. I didn't made test with these 2 january driver versions provided by Gigabyte to avoid brokening something. I'm waiting that PAX will give a look to them before.

I suggest to you to give a look to Windows Reliability Monitor before attempt any action.

As a rule for the future I will avoid to bought any motherboard with Creative audio chip. Only Realtek...

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 04:40:50 pm by Sandokan »

Sandokan

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2017, 07:56:32 pm »
I made another Windows 10 fresh install.

This time I let Windows Update install last Creative drivers then I installed ONLY the Creative Control Panel provided with last Creative drivers on Gigabyte's site (a custom install it is needed). In a second time I done a full AMD radeon installation. All things seems works good and I don't ave audio issues or driver errors. 

Jsh4rp

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2017, 06:23:37 pm »
Will a sound card that I put on psi fix this?

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2017, 03:00:07 am »
In my experience actually PAX drivers didn't solves audio issues with Z170X Gaming 7. Also Op-amp it is not the cause of broken audio (anyway this is a few cents $/€ component).
After a lot of test I found that there are some compatibility issues about Creative audio drivers. I found a lot of errors related to Creative drivers into the Windows Reliability Monitor. It seems that Creative drivers are not fully compatible with Windows and other audio devices.
I made test with RC1, RC2 drivers provided by Gigabyte and different versions provided by Windows Update. In my case I found this work around starting from a fresh Windows 10 installation:

- install Creative RC2 driver version without optional stuff (only drivers and control panel).
- install AMD graphic and hdmi audio driver provided by Window update (I have a R9 Fury)
- install last AMD drivers without updating AMD HDMI audio drivers
- deactivate "Turn on fast startup" option (https://www.cnet.com/how-to/what-is-windows-10s-fast-startup/)

In this way I do not have errors into Windows Reliability Monitor and my audio issues dissapered magically. If errors appears maybe some driver was overwritten (in this case rollback it) and try again.

I opened a ticket to Gigabyte support and  they published 2 new driver versions in the while. I didn't made test with these 2 january driver versions provided by Gigabyte to avoid brokening something. I'm waiting that PAX will give a look to them before.

I suggest to you to give a look to Windows Reliability Monitor before attempt any action.

As a rule for the future I will avoid to bought any motherboard with Creative audio chip. Only Realtek...

It's been over a year since I opened this thread and I still see people having issues with this board. Just save yourself from headaches and just get rid of Gigabyte board and go with something more reliable, like ASUS or MSI. Ever since I got rid of this BS Gigabyte board back in 2016 April and went with ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero I never ever had any problems with ASUS up until today. Yup, had this ASUS board for a year now and it is fantastic and just installed i7 7700k and you get full support from ASUS with BIOS updates and things work fantastic. Last BIOS update was February 12, 2017. They release updates at least once per 2 month and add support for new parts, like for example, last update added support for RAM that is over 4200 Mhz. This board on paper can't handle this RAM but ASUS made it happen through BIOS updates :-)

« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2017, 04:36:01 am »
Which (core) products???? FakkOff...

Because of this issue this will be the first AND LAST mobo I purchase from Gigafuk... Just saying.
At the end of the day it doesn't matter WHO'S at fault (Creative/Gigabyte) it matters who's name is on the box/board. Gigabyte has had OVER A YEAR to work this out with Creative. My guess, Gig has moved on and don't care about "previous gen" boards. Sad either way.... FakkOff!!

Elsie

« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2017, 01:43:07 pm »
Happened to me again last night playing BF2 (yes two, I know it's old but it still has a lot of servers) and in the middle of a game BAM! massive sound distortion, especially with the in game voices. No choice but to reboot.

I honestly think that Gigabyte don't give a flying fart for this "obsolete" board that I paid a premium for 18 months ago - and that sucks. My next board will not be from Gigabyte. It's not just this issue; it's looking at the videos from Jayz2Cents/Bitwit/PaulsHardware etc when they show the BIOS screens from other manufacturers. ASUS and MSI BIOS make Gigabyte BIOS look basic and dull.