Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z170X Gaming 7 Dead after bios flash

kc0r8y

GA-Z170X Gaming 7 Dead after bios flash
« on: January 22, 2016, 10:24:07 pm »
Hi,
Need some help. I have been building PCs for 20+ years and this is my first Gigabyte board. Prior I have always used Abit, Asus, Intel and AsRock.

I have a Z170X gaming 7 board I got in a combo deal from NewEgg. The board, 6700k and 16GB 3400 G-Skill ram. I read alot of reviews that said the motherboard needs F6 bios to run the higher speed memory in XMP mode. So before actually building the PC I setup on the motherboard box and build it outside of the case, then once all working fine I put it in the case.

This is exactly what I did.

Took the board out the box and put it on top of the box.

Installed the CPU and Corsair Watercooler
Installed the 2 Sticks of 3400Mhz Ram
Plugged in my 1000 watt powersupply
Plugged in my keyboard
Plugged in my 970 GTX card.

Booted one time into the bios with no problems. I confirmed it had the F5 bios. tried to set the memory to XMP and like everyone else mentioned it would run at that speed.

I then downloaded the F6 bios from their web site. I extracted the 3 files and copied them to my thumb drive.
I read the directions on the web site as well as the manual to confirm the proper way to flash the bios.
I plugged in the flash drive and hit F9 I believe it was to load the Q-Flash utility.
I selected the drive and the bios file. The utility verified the bios version and I hit flash.
It went through the process of installing the bios and when it was finished it prompted me to reboot but before I can hit reboot it rebooted itself. From there all I now get when I turn it on is the fans spin and thats it. Lights are on but no one is home. I don't even get any codes, it's not even lit up.

From there I have tried:
Clearing the bios via the button and the jumper
Removing the battery
Switched from Dual bios to single via the switch on the board.
Totally powering down the board and let it sit for a few minutes.
I called gigabyte support and they basically told me I have corrupt bios or a bad CPU.

It's acting like the CPU isn't getting power. I'm using the 8 pin CPU connector and like I said the board worked fine prior to the flash.

Any idea what is wrong or what i did wrong? I'm ready to RMA the board and just go with another brand that I have had luck with in the past.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 10:34:57 pm by kc0r8y »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-Z170X Gaming 7 Dead after bios flash
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 02:56:19 am »
So the back up bios is bad too. Have you tried the backup? G-skill might not be XMP certified memory. That is the thing here as the book will tell you that.

Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) (Note 2)
Allows the BIOS to read the SPD data on XMP memory module(s) to enhance memory performance when
enabled.
Disabled Disables this function. (Default)
Profile1 Uses Profile 1 settings.
Profile2 (Note 2) Uses Profile 2 settings.

(Note 1) This item is present only when you install a CPU that supports this feature. For more information about
Intel® CPUs' unique features, please visit Intel's website.

(Note 2) This item is present only when you install a CPU and a memory module that support this feature.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

kc0r8y

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 03:07:39 am »
So the back up bios is bad too. Have you tried the backup? G-skill might not be XMP certified memory. That is the thing here as the book will tell you that.

Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) (Note 2)
Allows the BIOS to read the SPD data on XMP memory module(s) to enhance memory performance when
enabled.
Disabled Disables this function. (Default)
Profile1 Uses Profile 1 settings.
Profile2 (Note 2) Uses Profile 2 settings.

(Note 1) This item is present only when you install a CPU that supports this feature. For more information about
Intel® CPUs' unique features, please visit Intel's website.

(Note 2) This item is present only when you install a CPU and a memory module that support this feature.

Thanks for the reply.

Again I have read NewEgg review from people that have bought the same ram and they claim XMP worked once they flashed to F6 bios.

You mentioned backup bios. How do I access those?

At this point I just want the thing to boot.

Thaks again

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 03:45:28 am »
If you look in the book page 23. What I get out of that picture with the Dual bios and single bios. In the picture on the dual bios I would put that one on #2 and on the single bios you can switching that 1 or 2. That is where the 2 bios are at. "#2 & #1". Play around with the switches to try and get it to boot.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

kc0r8y

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 01:09:39 pm »
If you look in the book page 23. What I get out of that picture with the Dual bios and single bios. In the picture on the dual bios I would put that one on #2 and on the single bios you can switching that 1 or 2. That is where the 2 bios are at. "#2 & #1". Play around with the switches to try and get it to boot.

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried that a few times already.

I think I might be SOL with this one.....

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 05:21:47 pm »
I had a similair problem with my Gigabyte z170x gaming7 / i7 6700k / kingston 2 x 8gb 2400mhz.
Samsung 950 pro m2ssd once i went to Betabios f7g. (fix crime95 problem)

Booting with a fat32 usb stick went without any problems, but when the mb rebooted I got a screen msge "system updating please wait" never ever seen this before in the initial bios boot up.

But after the msg. disappeared the mb went in the a contineous loop, changed the bios from dual to single no effect. Did a clear cmos / removed the bios battery nothing helped even the LEDBUG did not light up anymore.

Returned the mb to my retailer who exchanged it for a new mb, out of the box F5 was present carefully updated it to the offical bios F6.

It might be a coincidence but we both more or less encountered the exact same problem, faulty
beta bios that is bricking the mb?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 05:25:44 pm by polypenko »
MB.: Gigabyte Z370x Gaming 7 - Bios F5e
Proc.: Intel I5 - 8600k
Mem.: Corsair Dominator 3000mhz 2 x 8gb
Cpu.: Gelid the Black Edition.
Gpu.: Asus GTX 670.
Power.: NZXT 650 watt.
Ssd.: Samsung 850 Evo(256gb)
Hd.: WD 1 x 1 Tb Blue (Storage)
Hd.: WD 1 x 4 Tb Blue (Storage

kc0r8y

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 05:45:52 pm »
I had a similair problem with my Gigabyte z170x gaming7 / i7 6700k / kingston 2 x 8gb 2400mhz.
Samsung 950 pro m2ssd once i went to Betabios f7g. (fix crime95 problem)

Booting with a fat32 usb stick went without any problems, but when the mb rebooted I got a screen msge "system updating please wait" never ever seen this before in the initial bios boot up.

But after the msg. disappeared the mb went in the a contineous loop, changed the bios from dual to single no effect. Did a clear cmos / removed the bios battery nothing helped even the LEDBUG did not light up anymore.

Returned the mb to my retailer who exchanged it for a new mb, out of the box F5 was present carefully updated it to the offical bios F6.

It might be a coincidence but we both more or less encountered the exact same problem, faulty
beta bios that is bricking the mb?

The bios I used were not beta bios. They were official F6 bios.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 05:59:26 pm »
Strange, fyg.  I have a Samsung 950pro in the 2nd m.2 slot.

It almost looked like a Windows update bricked my bios. (not sure ofcourse)

But when I rebooted after an Windows update, I got this screen msge whilst seeing the initial
bios screen "system updating, pls. wait" and than my mb died.
MB.: Gigabyte Z370x Gaming 7 - Bios F5e
Proc.: Intel I5 - 8600k
Mem.: Corsair Dominator 3000mhz 2 x 8gb
Cpu.: Gelid the Black Edition.
Gpu.: Asus GTX 670.
Power.: NZXT 650 watt.
Ssd.: Samsung 850 Evo(256gb)
Hd.: WD 1 x 1 Tb Blue (Storage)
Hd.: WD 1 x 4 Tb Blue (Storage

kc0r8y

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 01:21:31 am »
Thank you all for the replies but I'm returning this board.

I ordered the new AsRock fatal1ty board.