Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z170XP-SLI: no boot on dual channel

joran

• heuy
GA-Z170XP-SLI: no boot on dual channel
« on: January 28, 2016, 09:29:45 am »
Hey guys,

I have a GA-Z170XP-SLI motherboard, 6600k cpu, 2x4gb crucial ballistix 2400mhz (on QVL) ram, MSI GTX 760 2GB/OC gfx.

When I have  my ram in dual channel (slot 1 and 3) and my graphics card installed, the system will not boot, I get a continuous long beep which means memory not properly installed.

When I have my ram in dual channel and remove the graphics card (connect the integrated one), it will boot just fine, reporting dual channel in windows and everything.

When I have my ram in single channel (slot 1 and 2) and my graphics card installed, the system will boot fine, but will run in single channel.

I already asked MSI if there is a newer bios file for my gfx, but I have the latest. (i suspected a UEFI issue)

I have tried a lot of things, going back to almost every other bios I can find, tweaking a lot of the settings. I know my graphics card works, I know my ram works, so I suspect something is up with the motherboard.

Is there a way to run dual channel AND have my graphics card installed?

Thanks,
Joran

edit:
I am running F6H right now, on stock speeds, no XMP.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:34:41 am by joran »

joran

• heuy
Re: GA-Z170XP-SLI: no boot on dual channel
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 01:19:03 pm »
Casual bump  8)

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-Z170XP-SLI: no boot on dual channel
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 02:33:50 pm »
Did you check to make sure the memory is on the support list. Did you try one stick? This not pointed at you, but it is for everybody trying to run faster memory. Please people do your research on Memory before you buy memory.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5496#dl

If you want the faster memory it has to be on the support list or XMP to run in XMP Mode. Yes if it is on the support list, it should run at the default settings at 2133 with out XMP. I'm sorry I sound like this but 70% of the threads are on this problem.

Yes it says that you can run faster memory. That is a grey area when it comes to that. It should be on the support list or able to support XMP. If it is on the support list and not XMP you have to set them manually. If it XMP and on the support list. You put them in and just set it to XMP mode.

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.