Official GIGABYTE Forum

Memory and "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" problems.

KGaang

Memory and "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" problems.
« on: February 10, 2016, 01:11:20 am »
Here are my specs:

Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
 Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (AMI)
 G.Skill Sniper 8GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
 Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
 HIS Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card
 EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

I have a couple of issues with my first build. First is a DRAM refresh failure bios beep code (one short beep). There's also the fact that I can't get into the BIOS with my hard drive plugged in or with a USB with Ubuntu loaded on it (I have no windows disk). I get the "No bootable device found, etc." error page. Doesn't matter which is set as boot priority. I've tried to select it both in the BIOS and after hitting F12 after the GIGABYTE logo page, either options gets the error page.

Now here are some things I've tried to do to address the issues:

The motherboard supports DDR3 1600 which is what RAM I have but technically the specific RAM I have isn't listed under the mobo compatibility list on their website. Not sure how stupid of a question this is but could the RAM be incompatible? I always thought RAM was RAM. I don't think that is the problem, but I'm just trying to cover all my bases. I've got three sticks of RAM, all are the same brand and type, and I've tried them all separately and together and none of them can get past the one short beep code (AMI BIOS). Could the BIOS beep code just be wrong or could all three of my sticks be busted? Maybe it's a setting in my BIOS?

Frankly, I'm not sure what to do about the hard drive or flash drive not being found past the boot priority selection. I rechecked the connections (SATA and power), but those are fine. Could my hard drive just be busted?

I have my XMP set to profile 1 and my settings are optimized.

I'm just beginning to lose steam on this build and starting to lose hope. Any help is very much appreciated!

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Memory and "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" problems.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 06:42:31 am »
Hi,
RAM absolutely matters and I think you could slowly seeing the effects of trying to use non QVL RAM with your board.

Stick to 1 or 2 sticks (while testing) for now.  The H97 is not tri-channel and memory should be installed in pairs for best performance (and compatibility).  In the end, buying QVL RAM can save a great deal of time (which is money).

Might be helpful if you tell us what port you have the drive plugged in to and what controller operate mode you have selected.  I know you're having problems entering BIOS consistently. 

So you are booting (trying to boot) from a USB stick with a Ubuntu image?

What USB port are you plugging in to?  What about your keyboard and mouse?

Start here:

Please CLR_CMOS or perform a battery pull.  Lets ensure you are truly starting with a clean slate.

1 stick of RAM in DIMM 0
Disconnect your HDD
Connect keyboard, mouse to USB 2 ports (if applicable)
Start machine, press DEL key to enter BIOS (tap, pause, tap, pause) after you start the machine.
MIT heading
Memory
Set your memory timing, voltage, etc. manually (Consult the G-Skill website)
Save settings and exit.
System will restart
You should be able to restart and enter BIOS consistently at will.
If you cannot, there is no need to go further
Buy the correct memory for your board.

If you are successful, re-enter BIOS and set the operate mode for your controller, and ensure the port you are using is correct for the HDD.  Save and exit. Power off, connect disk.  Once again you should be able to restart and enter BIOS consistently at will.

Ready for Ubuntu.  Insert stick, start machine, press F12 at POST, tap, pause method.  Select your boot device from the one time boot menu.  If you can't get this far...  see the previous step...  buy the correct memory for your board. 

Hope this is helpful  :)   
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:53:50 am by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW