Official GIGABYTE Forum

PCI allocation error out of resources. D4 error code. Computer Freeze/Crash.

Miami3

I'm still new to PC building, and this is my first PC. So I'm not sure what to do with these errors or truly even what's wrong with my PC. So any help I can get is truly appreciated. THANK YOU ALL!

PC Specs:

-Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z170X-UD3 (rev 1)(given to me by friend, open box from Micro Center)

-CPU: I bought it from Silicon Lottery website, but I don't see it there anymore. It's a Intel i7 6700K 4.0 GHZ (Can Be OC To 4.7 With His Test) NOT OC RIGHT NOW.

-RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVGB

-Case: I'm listing this because mine has a built in water cooler for the CPU. It's a DEEPCOOL GENOME II Case (360mm cooler)

-PSU: Given to me by a friend, I;m not sure if it was previously used. It's a CORSAIR CX-M series CX750M 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE Haswell Ready ATX12V & EPS12V Modular Power Supply

-Storage: I have an SSD that is a SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM

-Storage: I also have a mechanical Hard Drive that I think may be failing i'm not sure, but it only has a few programs on it so it's barely ever used. I think its some kind of Seagate 7200 1TB drive.

-GPU: I was using a GTX 780, now I'm using a EVGA GTX 1070 Hybrid.

OK, so... I recently made my first PC build and I've started having some issues. The first noticed ones being that HTML 5 players would just stop working and needed a reboot to fix it randomly. Like Pandora and YouTube wouldn't play videos or music at all. That isn't my main concern right now, but it's still something to note, and I did reinstall flash player...

My next problems come with my PC freezes and crashes. This happened a while back and I'm pretty sure that was just from me overclocking and stuff like that so that doesn't bother me. And yes I did reset it back to default.

I only recently for Christmas got a EVGA GTX 1070 Hybrid and I installed it. But, I started getting what I believe is a D4 error code on my Z170X-UD3 motherboard, which is a "PCI allocation error out of resources". The board was given to me by a friend and he said it was an "open box" from Micro Center. I'm a new streamer and it has only crashed or froze up after hours of intense use while streaming and gaming. And only on 1 instance has it crashed where it went to a windows screen, and then restarted.

Here is what I've done so far. My case can have a vertically mounted GPU and would need a PCI extender cable thing to do that. I was using it and decided to just mount the card straight into the motherboard. Which hasn't changed anything. I also have the card in the top PCI slot on the board because the card needs the PCIEx16 slot. I have ran memtests on both RAM sticks 5 passes on 1 stick and 4 passes on the other with no errors on either of them. They are now in slots 1 and 3 I believe, at one point I had them in slots 3 and 4 which i was told is incorrect. I've tried reinstalling GPU drivers as well. I've even reset the CMOS and BIOS back to default. The only things I've changed in the BIOS since is enabled integrated graphics for 1 of my small monitors I don't use for gaming. I have 2 other monitors hooked up to the GPU, but I only use 1 of them for gaming.

Some errors I've gotten in my event logger are these: -The one I see the most is "Kernel-Power: under the Critical tab. Which from what I've read is the improper shutdown of a PC, which makes no sense because even when it doesn't crash and all I do is restart or shutdown and turn on it gives that error sometimes. -A side note: when turning on the PC from a cold boot it boots and gives a D4 error. But if I restart it goes back to a normal A0 code. I restarted a 1 point so it would say A0 and played and streamed and it still crashed at 1 point. -Some other errors: Kernel-Boot, Application Popup, Appmodel Runtime, DeviceSetupManager, Application error, Application hang, service control manager, Msinstaller, and some others I didn't mention.

Other issues: On 1 of the crashes my screen dimmed for 5-10 seconds and then crashed. So I'm lead to believe it was a possible brownout, or problem with the PSU where it's output voltages are not stable. Or something like that.

Some kind of 8-pin adapter thing came with the GPU it has an 8 pin side and on the other is 2 6 pin plugs. I thought OK, I must plug this 8 side into the GPU and then plug the 2 6 pins coming from me PSU into that adapter thing... Well the 8 pin side gets half way into the GPU and won't go any further. I found a complaint from someone who bought a different version of the 1070 and he had the same problem. He said he had an extra on hand though. So IDK if it's suppose to go in there or not. Right now it has a 6+2 pin powering the GPU. I've attacked a picture of what the adapter piece looks like (clipped from amazon).

Some conclusions I've come to: So I've talked to some people and they said it could be a few things. RAM, PSU, Motheboard. I tested the RAM and it was fine. So I think I'm gonna put in me Brand new unopened 600w PSU and see if it fixes it. If not I was gonna buy a new motherboard from a different company.

That's all I can think to say in this post, might be forgetting a few things IDK. Any help is much appreciated, and I really mean that. I'm still new to PC building and IDK what to do with these problems. I've written this entire post with the D4 code on my motherboard, it hasn't been a problem until a start using my PC intensely.

Link To My Post On Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/5l0nfl/pci_allocation_error_out_of_resources_d4_error/

Miami3

I put in a 650W Power supply, still got the error code though. And restarting the PC got rid of the code, so IDK. ANd I do have the sleep state thing off. Sleep mode and hibernation are off.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
What are running the memory at 3200 or the default setting at 2133. If you are running it at 3200 try and run them auto setting for the board that would be 2133. Then see what happens.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Miami3

What are running the memory at 3200 or the default setting at 2133. If you are running it at 3200 try and run them auto setting for the board that would be 2133. Then see what happens.

Well from what I know is that the board does support that speed, so I didn't think it would be a problem. I have not messed with the speed of the memory at all, so it is probably running at 3200 right now. I'll try and do that.

Miami3

So it turns out I think that it was already running at 2133 the whole time. I changed it to 3200 now and it booted fine and all, still have the error right now though. But I'm starting to think it's not a D4, but maybe it is a 04. I know it doesn't say that's code for my board, but when I went to shut down the PC right before the power stopped it switched from A0 to 04. Which is a sleep state thing, but then again i have sleep and hibernate settings off already. So IDK for sure, but restarting still clears the code back to A0

Miami3

I noticed in percision XOC last night while playing the GPU usage kept going to 99% while playing and kept going over it's own boost clock speed. Base Clock: 1594 MHz / Boost Clock: 1784 MHz. It kept going up to 2000. I've done no overclocking either. IDK if this may cause a PCI allocation error or not, but that was happening.

Miami3

So I got a watchdog violation crash, and I'm thinking that might have been my problem. I turned off fast startup in the power options on windows. I thought I had it off, but that must be just in my BIOS. Either way the D4 error is gone now... Hoping that solves it. :)