Official GIGABYTE Forum

Dead X99 Ud4?

Dead X99 Ud4?
« on: February 28, 2016, 12:50:29 pm »
So one minute my x99 ud4 with a 5820k and corsair rm750 psu were working fine. Turned it off normally and then remembered I had a cd in the drive I wanted out. At that point the computer would not reboot.

Basically nothing. Not even a beep.

Looking at it the fbios light flashes briefly (under a second then nothing). I've disconnected everything (including cpu) and it still does it. When connected to a 400w psu the fbios light stays on.

Figured it was the psu so ordered an hx750i to find its made no difference at all. Computer stoll won't boot.

Dead mobo or something else going on?

Ta.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Dead X99 Ud4?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 01:28:28 pm »
Try and pull the battery and jump out the cmos pins. Let is sit for a couple hrs. Then un-jump the pins put the battery back in then try it. Not saying it is going to work. But some times it locks up.

Now the other thing it could be some thing shorting out too. Have you try to removing stuff even the memory and video card. Just see if it will power on.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 01:59:48 pm »
Well things just went weird. Got the computer to fire up into bios with bare essentials connected using a cheapy ace 400w psu. If I connect either corsair psu I have it doesn't work.

The corsairs however power the computer that the ace psu came out of.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 11:34:18 pm »
Well another update!

Turns out the motherboard won't switch on with any decent PSU now.  However a low wattage cheap one gets it fired up.  So I guess something has failed on the board.

With a huge list of compatibility issues, flakey reboots and now this power issue, I've decided to ditch the board and buy an alternative brand.  And guess what?  No issues.  Finally I can enjoy the 5820k processor without worrying if the machine will turn on, or whether I wont be able to boot past the BIOS screen anymore.

Sorry Gigabyte, I've not used your boards in years and have to say I'm not likely to again in a very long time.  The X99-UD4 motherboard has been not only a catastrophic waste of money, it's been the worst board I've ever had the misfortune of buying :(  Unreliable, full of bugs and ultimately, poor quality.  Shame :(

Genesis1

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 11:55:25 am »
Well another update!

Turns out the motherboard won't switch on with any decent PSU now.  However a low wattage cheap one gets it fired up.  So I guess something has failed on the board.

With a huge list of compatibility issues, flakey reboots and now this power issue, I've decided to ditch the board and buy an alternative brand.  And guess what?  No issues.  Finally I can enjoy the 5820k processor without worrying if the machine will turn on, or whether I wont be able to boot past the BIOS screen anymore.

Sorry Gigabyte, I've not used your boards in years and have to say I'm not likely to again in a very long time.  The X99-UD4 motherboard has been not only a catastrophic waste of money, it's been the worst board I've ever had the misfortune of buying :(  Unreliable, full of bugs and ultimately, poor quality.  Shame :(
I would have to somewhat agree with you. Never known such a flakey motherboard. After sometime wrestling with mine I found a solution work around to my hanging at boot problems. Keeping my fingers crossed that mine doesn't go like yours  :( The slightest little thing seems to upset these boards.  :-\

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 01:32:15 pm »
I have the same board and the problems I'm having or had. Two things the first was the BSOD that it was the video driver. The 2nd is I can't get into the bios with one of my HHD connected. Other than that this has been great.

I have been doing this for 30 yrs. You can have two of same boards running next to each other. They will run different from each other too. It has been this way from day one and that is from every MB company out there too.

I only updated the bios to F9c because of the BSOD. If I didn't have that problem I would still be on the 1st bios. I have to ask either of you had these problems from day one. Or did they start after a Bios update?
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 06:06:41 am »
My motherboard has done exactly what you described twice Insomnia since I bought it brand new when it first came out.

The first time, I tried a known, good power supply, didn't work so I completely pulled the board and was getting ready to send it back when I decided to plug in the ORIGINAL power supply 1 more time. Damn if it didn't fire up so I put it all back together again. >:(

It did it one more time, but this time I just pulled the battery for a few seconds and put it back and it fired up again. OK since.

Good luck with your new board.
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1 BIOS F7, Intel i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64gb 2666 8x8, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, WD VelociRaptor 250gb/1000gb, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, CM Cosmos S, Logitech M570/K800 Wireless Trackball/Keyboard, Windows 7 64 Ultimate