Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z68X-UD4 Odd BIOS / Power Button Issue

Z68X-UD4 Odd BIOS / Power Button Issue
« on: March 02, 2016, 02:05:19 pm »
Last night I had an issue with an OC setting not wanting to boot. 

I thought "no big deal I will clear CMOS".  I went to clear the CMOS and nothing happened.  I tried a few more times, and nothing.  I had to pull the battery for 30 seconds.  To get defaults to load.  That has never happened.

Here is the next problem I had.  Once I had cleared the CMOS, I went into the BIOS and got my settings how I wanted them.  I saved the BIOS, then rebooted and went back into the BIOS so I could power the machine down. (I have performance ram that wont boot on defaults).  For the past five years, I have been able to press the power button on the case to power down when I am in the BIOS.  Now when I press it, the screen goes black but the machine stays ON.  This causes the BIOS to go haywire and need a reset.   And then I have to pull the battery and wait 30 seconds again.

The other thing I tried is to power the machine down while in the BIOS with the power switch, and guess what?  IT MAKES THE BIOS NEED A RESET.

I have flashed the BIOS, and it still behaves this way.  Is this board done?  I have never had an issue like this with any board over the years.  I plan on ripping the whole thing out of the case tonight and trying it barebones with a different PSU to see if that may have some effect.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Z68X-UD4 Odd BIOS / Power Button Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 03:24:30 pm »
Maybe you need a new battery.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 03:35:54 pm »
Put in a brand new battery last night.  Old battery read 3.17v on my meter, brand new battery was 3.27v.  I doubt it was the issue, but I put a new battery in anyway.

My main problem is not being able to power down in the BIOS from the power button.  That is a totally new issue.  That is the main issue preventing me from swapping ram sticks.

I REALLY don't understand why more BIOSes don't have a "Save and Shutdown" option.  It's really really stupid.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 04:44:36 pm by 1967Typhoon »

dmdilks

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 05:59:37 pm »
You should have this in the bios unless you are using the UEFI bios then you might not.

This is in Power Management.

Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN

Configures the way to turn off the computer in MS-DOS mode using the power button.

Instant-Off - Press the power button and then the system will be turned off instantly. (Default)

Delay 4 Sec. - Press and hold the power button for 4 seconds to turn off the system. If the power
 button is pressed for less than 4 seconds, the system will enter suspend mode.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 07:12:34 pm »
I swapped PSUs on my lunch break and now the board behaves as it should.  I am going to try cleaning all of the connectors on the old unit and try again.  If that fails I know the PSU is shot.  Thanks for the help.

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 01:25:37 pm »
After a few minutes of it behaving nicely, the entire board powered down for no reason.  BOTH power supplies check out OK.  I can get the board to power back on if I use a low power GPU, but when I put my R9 290 in, it won't even attempt to boot when I press the power button.

I'm thinking the board is shot.  In all honesty I thought it was a tremendously underwhelming board considering how much I paid for it new.  It always hated RAM, it couldn't OC very well, and the BIOS is trash.  Adios, Gigabyte.

dmdilks

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 07:49:35 pm »
I can get the board to power back on if I use a low power GPU, but when I put my R9 290 in, it won't even attempt to boot when I press the power button.

What PSU you using if it doesn't have enough amps with R9-290 it could be using all the amps up. Those card could be using as much as 30 amps a lone. Plus if the computer is working with the other GPU then it isn't the board. If the board is bad it is bad.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 08:08:02 pm »
I have both a 750w and 650w PSU I am using for testing.  Both are high quality units.

Just an update:

I pulled the CMOS battery again overnight, and got it to boot to the BIOS.  I saved defaults and loaded windows no problem at all.  Thinking I had finally gotten this somewhat working, I shut it down in windows.  After shut down I tried to boot again, and it once again did not boot into BIOS.  It just gave me a black screen with all fans running.  I am going to hook up a speaker now and check for any beep errors.