Official GIGABYTE Forum

P34g battery replacement

P34g battery replacement
« on: March 02, 2016, 06:36:39 pm »
Hi!

I have a P34g laptop and since it's now 2,5 years old, it's battery is slowly dying out. I've searched for it's original battery practically everywhere, but to no avail. So my question is as follows:

- Is there anyone, that can point me in the right direction as to where I can find the battery?
- Can the battery be replaced by a different battery?

If the second quetion is true, does it need to be the same voltage and/or other specs, or can it be like the more powerful version like in the P34g v2?

I would be very happy and thankful of any response!

Re: P34g battery replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 05:47:14 pm »
Hi!

I have a P34g laptop and since it's now 2,5 years old, it's battery is slowly dying out. I've searched for it's original battery practically everywhere, but to no avail. So my question is as follows:

- Is there anyone, that can point me in the right direction as to where I can find the battery?
- Can the battery be replaced by a different battery?

If the second quetion is true, does it need to be the same voltage and/or other specs, or can it be like the more powerful version like in the P34g v2?

I would be very happy and thankful of any response!
http://www.laptop-battery-shop.com/gigabyte-gnch40-148v-4300mah-original-batteries-p-5088.html?gclid=CLO1j8_uwMwCFY17fgodW7EN4w&zenid=d2649408cc56d1f0fb394611ea814f3a

instructions: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Gigabyte+P34G+Battery+Replacement/41863

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 08:36:26 pm »
I'd also like to know if the GNC-C30 (11.1v) in the P34G v1 can be upgraded to the 14.8v GNC-H40 in the v2.

The above reply doesn't really explain, sure it links to the H40 battery but it's not the C30 that came with my laptop.

Alternatively there's the GNC-J40 (15.2v) but I imagine you have to lose the 2.5" drive for the bigger ones but I can live with that if the upgrade will work and fit inside the unit.

Photos of the three types:

My gut instinct thinks the GNC-J40 has the same aspect ratio as the GNC-C30 but it's a lot of money to trial it on a whim... though they all share the same connector. Just not sure the laptop would be happy with a different voltage battery.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:57:43 pm by spicypixel »

fwgb68

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 03:05:08 am »
I too want to know the answer as I have the original p34G with battery model GNC-C30, which is no where to be found on the market.

GNC-H40 seems too long to fit. GNC-J40 has wrong voltage. Another model GMS-C60 seems to have right length and voltage (11.1v) but its screw holes don't seem to match.

I called Gigabyte support and was told to create a repair request to get battery replaced (if they do have one), but I didn't go that route yet as i don't want to ship my laptop away for two weeks.

My battery is dying every minute as I use the laptop :(, Any suggestion on getting it replaced is really appreciated!

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 09:48:41 am »
Yeah I don't mind self installing it, if they want to post me out a battery I'm happy to fix it in. I just wanna know if the v1 can work with the higher voltage models :(

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 09:28:27 pm »
Getting increasingly sad that there's no one able to confirm this, can't even source the original battery anywhere either.
edit: can't really seem to buy any of them so this is a huge pain in the ass. P34G has been dead for weeks cause the battery is 70% degraded and sub 1 hour life isn't worth using.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:31:41 pm by spicypixel »

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 08:08:11 pm »
Hey I'm in a similar situation here. I leave my p34g plugged in alot when I'm using it due to lousy battery life and I've just discovered that the thing has swollen up to dangerous proportions.

This thing is incredibly hard to find. I see this Schenker battery available on various sites: http://www.battery-shop.org/laptop/schenker-gnc-c30-battery%20packs.htm. It looks like it is probably compatible but these sites look a tad iffy and I'd rather not wait on an order from Hong Kong anyway.

I wouldn't try using a battery with a different voltage. A different capacity should be fine but, unless there is some voltage regulation elsewhere in the laptop, and I have no idea if there is, I would stick to the 11.1V. If it does have a regulator there is probably some technical documentation available somewhere that will publish a range of voltages it supports but that may be as hard to find as the battery itself. I have tickets open with both the original reseller I bought the laptop from and gigabyte themselves. Hopefully one of those routes will bear fruit soon.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 08:11:01 pm »
Glad someone is making some progress, hit a stone wall with gigabyte directly.

I just wanna buy a battery and fit it, it shouldn't be this hard and it's putting me off buying more of their kit because of it.

edit: your link is out of stock, like everywhere else :(
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 08:17:15 pm by spicypixel »

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 08:49:27 pm »
These really do need to be available somewhere, or at least a "compatible battery" list ought to be available. Batteries are consumables and they should be treated that way by manufacturers.

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 07:53:41 pm »
Well, according to Gigabyte, the GNC-C30 is no longer available. Their play here is to install the 15.2V GNC-J40. It does sound like they will need to install some sort of voltage converter or something ("there will be some soldering involved"). And they won't release the spec of the board for DIY purposes. So, while I'm loathed to send my laptop in to them, it sounds like there isn't much choice.

For what it's worth, they have confirmed that the GNC-J40 won't obstruct the 2.5" drive. But in lieu of soldering iron and the technical specification of the laptop, I wouldn't try installing it. I tried chasing this up via my original reseller and they have come back with the exact same thing: GNC-J40, send it to Gigabyte. If there's an alternative at this point I'm not sure what it is. Sorry I don't have better news.

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 08:15:07 pm »
Ugh wonder where I'm going to find out the contact details for this. UK gigabyte have been a little less than forthcoming in the past.

Fortunately I've got an older Vaio that still works (battery is only 5% degraded, go figure its going to double the life of this gigabyte)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:28:31 pm by spicypixel »

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 09:55:36 pm »
I'm lucky in that regard, I live in Southern California about 20 miles away from Gigabyte HQ so if something doesn't smell right I'll go say hello. I think they contract out services to MendIT in the UK, you could probably sidestep Gigabyte and call them directly. The US number is for Gigabyte customer service is +1 626 854-9338, they might be able to point you in the right direction as well.

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 08:23:36 am »
Anyone had any luck with this?

My P34G v2 battery is dead (lasts 4 minutes!), and I can't find any solutions either.

I've no confidence in Gigabyte's service in the UK, and since I'm working abroad at the moment, can't send it to them in any event.

I'll never buy another Gigabyte laptop, that's for sure - the battery started dying within 6 months, and one of the fans was making noises early on (but I tweaked it and it's bearable). Poor service too, from what I see.

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 12:11:09 pm »
Hi there!

Secondary hdd in my u2442 has crashed, so I opened my notebook to replace it and found out the battery is bloated. Unfortunately GNC-C30 battery is out of stock everywhere. So I decided to open it and replace cells in it. This battery has three standard coslight ca866168 cells (4300mAh, 3.7V) in it. I could not find this modules on sale too :(
Maybe someone here will be more lucky or will find some substitution. Cell dimensions may be found here: http://www.cncoslight.com/pdf/Coslight%20Polymer%E7%94%B5%E6%B1%A0%E8%A7%84%E6%A0%BC%E8%A1%A820121217.pdf
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 12:12:09 pm by user_not_found »

fwgb68

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 05:31:54 am »
found two websites that sell GMS-C60, which I think is the closest model to match GNC-C30 in both voltage and size

http://www.two-wayradios.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17571

http://beststore-online.com/item?id=41588845431

the first one shows 85 in stock but after I placed the order and made payment, then was told it's out of stock and I got refund.

the second one shows 123 in stock, even though the chance that it's in stock is slim to none, I still placed order and now I am waiting for what happens next ...   ::)