Official GIGABYTE Forum

G1 Assassin 2 X79 backup BIOS corrupt

avkdm

G1 Assassin 2 X79 backup BIOS corrupt
« on: March 17, 2016, 07:58:56 am »
Hey all,
I inherited this motherboard which I feel is too good to throw away.
The previous owner decided to de-solder M BIOS and damaged the solder pads.
Bios B is still intact, it boots ok but I am stuck on UEFI screen saying BIOS has been reset, please decide how to continue.
Whichever option I choose freezes with a blank blue UEFI screen.
Can anyone tell me is it possible at all to flash the B BIOS, manual says no but I am pretty sure there would be a way around it. I also have 2 new BIOS chips for this mobo so I can try and resolder, but would prefer not to.If its a last resort does anyone know if I cut B BIOS off and resolder the new bios - will it boot, or is their some sort of smarts on the board that would always want to boot or reflash the MBIOS even though it no longer exists. Hope this makes sense.
Any bright people on this forum have any clues or am I up the proverbial? Seems such a waste to chuck this board out.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:19:23 am by avkdm »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: G1 Assassin 2 X79 backup BIOS corrupt
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 08:37:43 am »
Hi there,

from my own experience you can only flash the backup BIOS chip from the main BIOS.

That said, you may want to ask this question over at TweakTown where guys like stasio, lsdmeasap and others Gigabyte power users frequent. These guys are flashing BIOS and doing all sorts of things that I can only dream of being able to do and one of them may offer a solution that I am not aware of.

You can find the TweakTown forum here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

avkdm

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 09:07:14 am »
Thanks, have posted over there now.

avkdm

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 11:07:21 am »
Can anyone tell me if you can actually boot to Windows and run the PC as per normal from B bios switch (backup) on the rear of the motherboard?