Official GIGABYTE Forum

BRIX BXBT-J1900 freezing issues

dts439

BRIX BXBT-J1900 freezing issues
« on: March 23, 2016, 09:16:18 pm »
I have been trying to install Windows 7 Professional 64 bit onto a BRIX Celeron J1900.  This has an 8GB Crucial Ram memory chip installed and a 120GB Kingston SSD.  The aim is to leave this device in a remote location so I can monitor the network using remote access.

On my first unit I initially installed Windows 7 Pro Sp1 using an MBR.  Installed all the applicable drivers off the driver CD and then proceeeded to install WInodws updates.  Had some issues with Windows Update getting slower and slower.  Eventually had to install some specific Mircosoft patches to get WU to work properly.  Eventually this completed and I had a fully patched system.  I then started to encounter freezes if the device was left in an idle state (I'd switched off all the power saving / sleep modes).  In each cases it stopped responding to ping and left the screen in a weird state (see attachment).  I tried using different Intel video drivers and also the basic Windows one (which seemed more stable), but it always eventually failed.

I checked the memory using teh WIndows disgnostic tool and also checked the SSD using scandisk.  Also ran the Intel processor testing tool.  All passed ok.

When looking at the windows logs showed nothing.  There is a message alongthe lines of "shutdown at hh:mm was unexpected" but nothing at that time to show what was going on.

I then re installed from scratch again.  Same result.  Tried upgrading to Windows 10, same result.

Reinstalled again using UEFI (and GP partitioned disk) and same result.

Finally I sent the unit back to Amazon and requested a replacement.

This arrived yesterday and it apears to be doing the same thing...

is there anything I can check try?  My only thought was to try installing a 32 bit version of WIndows instead.

Still wonder if its the video driver...

This is a real shame as the unit is otherwise perfect for my usage, quiet quick and does not get hot.

Re: BRIX BXBT-J1900 freezing issues
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 02:09:24 pm »
Hello,
      I am having a problem with random freezes on the same machine. As I am using linux I don't think it is a software issue. I found it quite confusing using the bios and grasped how to use it by hit and miss when it came to boot settings.
Apparently it is possible to use an older kernel to avoid the freezing issue but the one in question is no longer available in the distribution I am using.I will need to learn some more.
trustytrev.:)

dts439

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 05:12:35 pm »
Thanks,

Just seen that there is a new "F8" BIOS on the website (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5118#bios). This is a fix for "freezing on Windows 10".

I'm currently on F7 so will try that and report back.

Cross fingers.

Dave

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 07:09:09 pm »
Hello,
        I installed an older kernel from an archive repository and it works fine now.I would prefer a newer kernel but will maybe find one that does work at a later date.
trustytrev. :)

7incho

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 10:09:11 pm »
Hello,
I install last Bios today "F8 Version" in my Win 10 64bits vesion..
And I am having the same problem with random freezes on the same machine (GB-BXBT-1900).

And I can not find a solution to the problem. Gigabyte someone can help us ?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks,

Just seen that there is a new "F8" BIOS on the website (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5118#bios). This is a fix for "freezing on Windows 10".

I'm currently on F7 so will try that and report back.

Cross fingers.

Dave

bidib

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 01:52:51 pm »
Exactly the same here.
Random freezes, it can freeze like 3 or 4 times a day, and then work fine for 3 days with no freezes.
Tested the ram, the ssd, updated the BIOS.
Had the same trouble with windows updates, had to patch manually to install some of them.

I have installed a dozen BXBT-1900 at customers offices, and they almost all face this issue, but some are more impacted than others. For, let's say 70% of them a freeze occurs every month or so, but for 30% of them it's more frequent.

I have noticed that Google Chrome always occupies 40% of CPU time, and it seems like freezes occur only when chrome is on. But i almost always have a dozen Chrome tabs opened so it might not be relevant.

I am quite disappointed about Gigabyte lack of support for this issue, as there seems to be a lot of people in this case. I won't sell Gigabyte products again until this issue is resolved.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 12:46:57 am »
We have many customers with the same issue. Also considering taking them out of our shelves.
Is there any fix yet? F8 Firmware didn't seem to be the solution to all the problems.